FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2022 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

candidwildlife

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

LCPete wrote:
I didn’t realise that the R7 had the same sensor as the 90D that’s disappointing, I have seen high ISO shots on forums that didn’t look as good as I expected that explains it
I’m happy with my R5 though

Canon has officially mentioned it is a new sensor but same mega pixels as 90D. And I have seen online that it's ISO performance is better than 90D.

Nov 14, 2022 at 09:00 AM
candidwildlife

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

duncang wrote:
I have the R7 and an a9 and A1 and the R7 is not in the same league as any of the stacked sensor cameras. Even though it has great subject detection the actual autofocus performance can't keep up with demanding situations so tack sharp images are considerably harder to obtain.

With the A9 or A1 this is not something you really have to think about as the vast majority of images are in focus. Even with BIF and without bird eye AF I get much much better results with the A9 than with the R7.

The R7 is a bit of
...Show more

I think I got my answer here. The only thing running in my mind now is to decide between a9 and a9ii. I don't have the budget for a9ii today. But I am worried about a9 being 5 years old. I may wait till the a9iii is released so that a9ii price comes down.

Nov 14, 2022 at 09:03 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

candidwildlife wrote:
Canon has officially mentioned it is a new sensor but same mega pixels as 90D. And I have seen online that it's ISO performance is better than 90D.

It's the old sensor with a new processor... and you have to take Canon's noise performance claims with a grain of salt - they have resorted to using baked-in noise reduction in their raw files to achieve these gains, which could be detrimental to image quality in some situations - and you can't turn it off.

candidwildlife wrote:
. But I am worried about a9 being 5 years old. I may wait till the a9iii is released so that a9ii price comes down.

The R7 uses a four year old sensor, which was already inferior to the five year old A9 stacked sensor. I'm not sure the age matters much in this category - what is important is which one gets the most images in sharp focus.

Nov 14, 2022 at 09:58 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

candidwildlife wrote:
The only thing running in my mind now is to decide between a9 and a9ii. I don't have the budget for a9ii today. But I am worried about a9 being 5 years old. I may wait till the a9iii is released so that a9ii price comes down.

Just go and buy an A9 now from this site's Buy & Sell Forum. There are some in great condition for sale and you will be impressed with an 'old' A9.

Nov 15, 2022 at 01:31 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

The main differences going from the a9 to a9M2 are getting a second UHS-II card slot and 10fps vs 5fps with the mechanical shutter. If you're using the electronic shutter (which is really the whole point of having it) and not doing raw file backup to the second card slot, the a9 feels little different in use.

Nov 16, 2022 at 02:51 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.