New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2022 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

candidwildlife

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

Hello all, I am Canon shooter and doing wildlife and birds from 1.5years as a Hobby. I am having a 90D and 100-400 ii with 1.4x iii extender now.

I have 2 options in front of me.

1) Sell my current kit and buy a used Sony a9 with a used 200-600mm lens or

2) Sell my 90D and upgrade to a Canon R7 keeping my EF 100-400 ii and 1.4x iii.

Really confused on this matter. I am mainly tempted by that 200-600mm lens towards Sony. Any other suggestions welcome in similar budget.

Nov 02, 2022 at 11:09 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

Not sure how much help this is. I think the A9 and 200-600 will perform better, focus acquisition, speed, etc. But you'd need to chase reviews, etc., to get an accurate feel for that. The 200-600 is quite a bit larger. (I have a 200-600 but not the Canon gear) If doing a lot of walking to where you'd use it, choices of carrying approaches, like bags or backpack of some sort, probably even tripod?? with it's heft, it's something you need to intend to use. The 100-400 might be the size you could put in a pack with a body and a couple of lenses and tote it around with a lot less effort. Whether it's long landscapes, cityscape opportunities, etc. So, uses other than wildlife and birds might work out better with the Canon.

Nov 02, 2022 at 12:55 PM
candidwildlife

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

Craig, I agree the Canon 100-400 ii is lighter and packs small. But I am more attracted with that 600mm focal length and the internal zoom (no dust issues). I am getting a monopod anyways with either of these options I go with.

Nov 02, 2022 at 01:25 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

candidwildlife wrote:
1) Sell my current kit and buy a used Sony a9 with a used 200-600mm lens or

2) Sell my 90D and upgrade to a Canon R7 keeping my EF 100-400 ii and 1.4x iii.

Really confused on this matter. I am mainly tempted by that 200-600mm lens towards Sony. Any other suggestions welcome in similar budget.

The only reason I would suggest for getting the A9 is if you do not want any rolling-shutter effect. The 200-600mm is bigger, heavier, and more awkward to use than your Canon 100-400mm.

The R7's crop factor will give your 100-400mm an equivalent of a 160-640mm lens. The R7 has a RAW Burst Mode, in-camera focus-stacking, and in-camera Panorama stitching, none of which you get with the A9.

Nov 02, 2022 at 09:14 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

candidwildlife wrote:
Craig, I agree the Canon 100-400 ii is lighter and packs small. But I am more attracted with that 600mm focal length and the internal zoom (no dust issues).

I have owned several copies of both the 100-400 I and 100-400 II, and as with most owners never had dust issues. That is a blah-blah myth.

Nov 02, 2022 at 09:17 PM
Randyk

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

I would look at the just announced Canon R6 II and the RF 100-500.

Nov 02, 2022 at 10:58 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

Randyk wrote:

Right, you would have him spend $1,000 more for the R6 II over the R7. Why?

And with the excellent 100-400 II that he already has, and would be 160-740mm on the R7, you would have him spend $2,900 on a RF 100-500.

Maybe you should give him that extra $3,900.

Nov 03, 2022 at 01:42 AM
candidwildlife

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

The only reason I would suggest for getting the A9 is if you do not want any rolling-shutter effect. The 200-600mm is bigger, heavier, and more awkward to use than your Canon 100-400mm.

The R7's crop factor will give your 100-400mm an equivalent of a 160-640mm lens. The R7 has a RAW Burst Mode, in-camera focus-stacking, and in-camera Panorama stitching, none of which you get with the A9.

How bad is the rolling shutter and viewfinder blackout in R7? I ask because I have never owned a mirrorless and fear having those issues.

Nov 03, 2022 at 07:46 AM
candidwildlife

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

Randyk wrote:

I would, if I had the money. Haha. My next target was to save for RF 100-500 few years down the line if I go with R7.

Nov 03, 2022 at 07:48 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

The "birds" end of the wildlife spectrum does tend to work better with longer glass. So yes, you're right to be looking at 600mm options. Do you need an a9 to do that? No. Could it help? Yes. Are there other viable choices? Yes, several.

The big advantage of the a9 is the fast sensor readout and lack of sensor blackout during bursts. None of the other cameras mentioned will give you that. Is it really necessary? Probably not. Depends on how exactly you're shooting. Birds sitting still? Mech shutter and millisecond viewfinder blackout has zero impact on you. Bird in flight? That's a different matter. Tracking through the viewfinder without any blackout can be very helpful.

The Tamron 150-500 and Sigma 150-600 DG DN are also compelling options for adding some "reach" with E-mount. Neither currently has TeleConverter options so the Sony brand lenses still have an advantage there.

A high res body like the Sony a7RM4 can give you lots of cropping potential. Similar logic to using an APS-C size sensor.

Nov 03, 2022 at 11:31 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

candidwildlife wrote:
How bad is the rolling shutter and viewfinder blackout in R7? I ask because I have never owned a mirrorless and fear having those issues.

There is no rolling shutter or negligible rolling shutter on the majority of action shots. Besides, you have the option of shooting with mechanical shutter or electronic shutter. You can't do that with a DSLR. Viewfinder blackout is a non-issue.

Just go into a camera store and ask a salesperson if you can look through the EVF while shooting off a burst. Look at all the action shots taken with mirrorless cameras on the various forums and you will see there is nothing to worry about.

Canon EOS R7    RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens    500mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS R7    RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens    500mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    1600 ISO    +0.5 EV  

Nov 03, 2022 at 11:51 AM
Newenglandrocks
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

I haven't seen any A9 + 200-600 shooters chime in here. As someone who regularly shoots with this setup, I can tell you that it acquires and locks onto your targets quickly and accurately. There are limits to what you will achieve, as it doesn't work great in really low light.

There is also a significant difference between getting the setup somewhere and actually using it once you are there. There is no question that your 100-400 lens + R7 combo is lighter. You will need a smaller pack / backpack than the one I use to carry my setup for certain. That said, I'm only 135 lbs and have had zero issues hiking 5+ miles with the 200-600 and A9.

But once you arrive and start shooting, the 200-600 is a star amd works better than the Canon or Sony 100-400 lenses. The reason it is so loved in Sony land besides the excellent optics is the handling. I set mine up with a monopod and gimbal and the combination of weightlessness the gimbal provides along with the quick wrist flick from 200 to 600 while not disturbing the balance of the setup is the main selling point of the 200-600. You can see lots of Sony 100-400 vs 200-600 discussions on the Sony forum, and it boils down to this handling advantage of the 200-600. Optics are pretty darn close and both are excellent.

One other note - if you take the Sony 200-600 with a high MP body or an APS-C body like the A6600, you will get your reach to 1200mm with the 1.4TC. If you are doing wildlife, reach is king, so keep that in mind as you make your decision.

Nov 03, 2022 at 12:06 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

There are 135 lb. 20-year olds and 135 lb. 80 year olds. Hardly the same thing.

A bigger and heavier lens certainly does not have a handling advantage over a smaller and lighter one. Try shooting overhead BIF's with a 200-600 lens (attached or not) compared to a handheld 100-400.

Nov 03, 2022 at 12:41 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

Decent options both ways.
HANDLE a Sony body before you buy. Excellent gear but two main complaints from users come up often. One, uncomfortable to shoot with the body. Two, Menu system from hell.

If the camera fits your hands/handling and you can live with the menu system - no reason not to go that route.

Nov 03, 2022 at 04:03 PM
candidwildlife

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

jeffbuzz wrote:
The "birds" end of the wildlife spectrum does tend to work better with longer glass. So yes, you're right to be looking at 600mm options. Do you need an a9 to do that? No. Could it help? Yes. Are there other viable choices? Yes, several.

The big advantage of the a9 is the fast sensor readout and lack of sensor blackout during bursts. None of the other cameras mentioned will give you that. Is it really necessary? Probably not. Depends on how exactly you're shooting. Birds sitting still? Mech shutter and millisecond viewfinder blackout has zero impact on you. Bird
...Show more

Thanks for the explanation. I agree more reach is better for birds and that was what tempting me. But an A7Riv is not attractive to me because of its slow speed. Especially when I can get a used a9 for same price. I am leaning more towards the R7 now. My biggest fears were rolling shutter and blackout, Which, from other's experience is not bad and since I can buy it new and keep for longer time and continue with my Canon kit I already own. I always wish Canon cloned that 200-600mm lens at the same price, but I know they won't.

Nov 03, 2022 at 04:07 PM
candidwildlife

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

Imagemaster wrote:
There is no rolling shutter or negligible rolling shutter on the majority of action shots. Besides, you have the option of shooting with mechanical shutter or electronic shutter. You can't do that with a DSLR. Viewfinder blackout is a non-issue.

Just go into a camera store and ask a salesperson if you can look through the EVF while shooting off a burst. Look at all the action shots taken with mirrorless cameras on the various forums and you will see there is nothing to worry about.

Good examples, thank you very much. I will go to a camera store and check out a mirrorless camera.

Nov 03, 2022 at 04:08 PM
candidwildlife

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

Newenglandrocks wrote:
I haven't seen any A9 + 200-600 shooters chime in here. As someone who regularly shoots with this setup, I can tell you that it acquires and locks onto your targets quickly and accurately. There are limits to what you will achieve, as it doesn't work great in really low light.

There is also a significant difference between getting the setup somewhere and actually using it once you are there. There is no question that your 100-400 lens + R7 combo is lighter. You will need a smaller pack / backpack than the one I use to carry my setup for
...Show more

Good to know you shoot with this combo. I agree everything you told about the 200-600 lens. That's what made me jealous of Sony. But having said that, I wish Sony had a budget body competing R7 or R6 for wildlife. I will be kicking myself if I go with R7 now and Sony comes up with something next year to upgrade A6600.

Nov 03, 2022 at 04:14 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

candidwildlife wrote:
Good to know you shoot with this combo. I agree everything you told about the 200-600 lens. That's what made me jealous of Sony. But having said that, I wish Sony had a budget body competing R7 or R6 for wildlife. I will be kicking myself if I go with R7 now and Sony comes up with something next year to upgrade A6600.

Consider that you can use a Sigma Contemporary 150-600 on the R7 with the EF to RF adapter, if ultimately the R7 is your choice.

Another choice is the Sony A7IV with the 200-600. More mpix than the A9. I have several friends who owned the A9, and now shoot with the A7IV & 200-600 simply because an A1 is not in there budget.

If you are after the typical birds you find in Fl, and not the small super fast one's the A7IV will do a nice job. On the other hand if those fast small birds are your target, then either A9 or R7 (The R7 will give you more reach and more mpix)

Just consider if your targets are in range of using an A9 & 200-600 you will be fine, but if they are way out there, and need to crop in you could be disappointed because of the mpix count.

Good luck with your choice !!

Nov 03, 2022 at 11:40 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

jeffbuzz wrote:

The big advantage of the a9 is the fast sensor readout and lack of sensor blackout during bursts. None of the other cameras mentioned will give you that. Is it really necessary? Probably not. Depends on how exactly you're shooting. Birds sitting still? Mech shutter and millisecond viewfinder blackout has zero impact on you. Bird
...Show more

If you are referring to Canon cameras, they can use a TC with the Sig 150-600, I do all the time

You can't use anything other than Sony's TC on Sony bodies, try to put a non Sony TC using the Sig 150-600 it wont work, only the lens will. The only option there is shooting in crop mode for more reach.

Many folks using the A7RIV on this forum have complained about AF using the 200-600, the funny thing is some have the issue and others don't, so its kind of a crap shoot, where as the A7IV has no issues.

Nov 03, 2022 at 11:52 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon vs Sony for wildlife and birds

IndyFab wrote:
If you are referring to Canon cameras, they can use a TC with the Sig 150-600, I do all the time

You can't use anything other than Sony's TC on Sony bodies, try to put a non Sony TC using the Sig 150-600 it wont work, only the lens will. The only option there is shooting in crop mode for more reach.

Many folks using the A7RIV on this forum have complained about AF using the 200-600, the funny thing is some have the issue and others don't, so its kind of a crap shoot, where as the A7IV has no
...Show more

The Sigma DG DN is the E and L-mount mirrorless version. There are no TC's compatible with the E-mount variant. Oddly, Sigma has L-mount TC's but nothing thus far for E-mount.

Nov 04, 2022 at 01:57 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.