New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Foggy Dawn ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Foggy Dawn ...

Morning commute ... well, the first two minutes of it, anyway.

Kent Southers 2022

Edited on Nov 02, 2022 at 09:49 PM · View previous versions

Nov 01, 2022 at 10:13 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Foggy Dawn ...

I like the simplicity, the colours and the transition of the colours.

I am curious as to what was to the left of the image and if you cropped any of it away. If it is more of the same of what is to the write of the structure (?; the low lying vegetation), perhaps having a bit of that on the left would play well? Just curious AOT suggesting this.

Don

Nov 02, 2022 at 10:12 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Foggy Dawn ...

I like the mood this image is imparting. A feeling of tranquility and serenity. Well done.

Socrate

Nov 02, 2022 at 02:07 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Foggy Dawn ...

What is it they say, “red sky’s in the morning, sailors take warning?”

I think you could tell the same story with more impact with much less negative space. Cropping would also add balance.

Edited on Apr 18, 2023 at 12:16 AM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2022 at 04:10 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Foggy Dawn ...

differing with grandmas, I think both crops work but the story changes
to me there is something more special, more striking about the original version and huge negative space with just a hint along the horizon on the right. More powerful and more subtle at the same time.
Fine work Kent!!

Scott

Nov 02, 2022 at 07:08 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Foggy Dawn ...

sbeme wrote:
to me there is something more special, more striking about the original version and huge negative space with just a hint along the horizon on the right. More powerful and more subtle at the same time.
Fine work Kent!!

Scott

The original photo is composed exactly like many others, I dare others to be different.

Nov 02, 2022 at 07:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Foggy Dawn ...

grandmas wrote:
The original photo is composed exactly like many others, I dare others to be different.

Actually, mine isn't composed exactly like many others ... some others are composed like mine.

But, the real point (imo) is why and to what intent is the composition the way it is, regardless of what others may have done in the past, present or future?

TBH, though ... the cropped version strikes me as having even more compositions of similar ilk (i.e. crop tight) from eons.

Best I can figure, in the realm of "formulaic or pattern compositional structure", it isn't really possible to do anything much that hasn't already been done a few billion times or so. The key I think is to harness whatever compositional structure aligns with your message.

For me, the dark (go figure, right) is about the expanse of the night being broken by the breaking light, which is working its way through the atmosphere (evidenced by the gradient color). Without the expanse, it changes the relative narrative of the relationship between the light and dark ... weighted differently.

The crop is appreciated, and many folks might like the fact that it brings you in to the color more. Not everyone will appreciate the dark for what it is. That's okay, too.

Dare to be different ... I'm sure that this one has plenty of others that have also preceded its composition, similarly ... I don't really think it is possible to be fully different anymore. But, as best I can tell, as long as you are doing whatever you are doing out of your own accord (vs. emulating), it doesn't matter if others have applied similar compositional structure ... it's gonna happen, time and again.

Kent Southers 2022

Edited on Nov 02, 2022 at 09:49 PM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2022 at 08:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Foggy Dawn ...

sbeme wrote:
Fine work Kent!!

Scott

Thanks Scott.

+1 ... the story changes.

Nov 02, 2022 at 08:16 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Foggy Dawn ...

EverLearning wrote:
I like the simplicity, the colours and the transition of the colours.

I am curious as to what was to the left of the image and if you cropped any of it away. If it is more of the same of what is to the write of the structure (?; the low lying vegetation), perhaps having a bit of that on the left would play well? Just curious AOT suggesting this.

Don

Thanks Don.

Left = telephone pole.

I thought about cloning it out. But when dealing with gradient light, cloning the gradient isn't always such an easy thing to do (natural looking). I may revisit it, but there's really not much to add to the story on the left edge of any interest. Just the detracting pole, imo.

Nov 02, 2022 at 08:18 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Foggy Dawn ...

grandmas wrote:
What is it they say, “red sky’s in the morning, sailors take warning?”

I think you could tell the same story with more impact with much less negative space. Cropping would also add balance.

Looks a bit static / centered for me. But, I get your gist.

Looks like there's some kind of dark circle on the left side in your crop, that isn't in the OP ... accidental brush dot

Edited on Nov 02, 2022 at 08:22 PM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2022 at 08:20 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Foggy Dawn ...

Then you did what you could with what you had to work with there. Given your meticulous thought processes, you no doubt considered many different variations of crops to the right side.

Don

Nov 02, 2022 at 08:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Foggy Dawn ...

EverLearning wrote:
Then you did what you could with what you had to work with there. Given your meticulous thought processes, you no doubt considered many different variations of crops to the right side.

Don

Yeah, I wanted to retain the "fade" on the right. Not overly keen (and may revise the clone idea) about the hard chop on the left side of the lighting, but I didn't want to hard chop both sides of the light (see GMA crop) ... leaving the natural falloff to be realized was part of the goal.

Nov 02, 2022 at 08:24 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Foggy Dawn ...

Shasoc wrote:
I like the mood this image is imparting. A feeling of tranquility and serenity. Well done.

Socrate

Thanks Socrate ... that quietness of night still dominating, although the daybreak is imminent.

Nov 02, 2022 at 08:26 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Foggy Dawn ...

RustyBug wrote:
Actually, mine isn't composed exactly like many others ... many others are composed like mine.

But, the real point (imo) is why and to what intent is the composition the way it is, regardless of what others may have done in the past, present or future?

TBH, though ... the cropped version strikes me as having even more compositions of similar ilk (i.e. crop tight) from eons.

Best I can figure, in the realm of "formulaic or pattern compositional structure", it isn't really possible to do anything much that hasn't already been done a few billion times or so. The key
...Show more

Great explanation into your goal and thought processes. It led me to think of the image differently and scenes like this differently. Thanks Kent!

Don

Nov 02, 2022 at 08:33 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Foggy Dawn ...

RustyBug wrote:
Looks a bit static / centered for me. But, I get your gist.

Looks like there's some kind of dark circle on the left side in your crop, that isn't in the OP ... accidental brush dot

Static is a funny word when it comes to photography. Nothing in the image is moving, so it doesn't matter. In a different image it might, but not this one.

I cropped and framed, nothing else.....so I have no idea what you are seeing.

Nov 03, 2022 at 12:04 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Foggy Dawn ...

grandmas wrote:
Static is a funny word when it comes to photography. Nothing in the image is moving, so it doesn't matter. In a different image it might, but not this one.

I cropped and framed, nothing else.....so I have no idea what you are seeing.

By "static", I mean it does not offer a range of movement for the eye. The center crop basically has the viewer at "look here" in the center, with no place else to really look, explore / think about. In the OP, the natural falloff to the right (non-existent in the cropped version), provides the change in tonality for the viewer to follow to the right. The color and brightness of the left side is greater, so there will be the pull back to the building / tree to return to. Similarly for the vertical (likely different to a degree). I typically prefer to generate various opportunity for movement, rather than a centrally, static "look here".

Maybe the crop size is (in part) responsible for the perception of static. But, the term "dead center" is one comp that has been done so much, that it has garnered that moniker. That's not to say that central static doesn't have its own attraction for some, just not my preference in general, and specifically not for this piece ... since an underlying element of the piece is the natural movement of the earth's rotation, as a cause for the break from night to day.

While the rotation does occur around 1,000 mph in literal terms, our relative perception (as we move at the same 1,000 mph) of our motion is very slow (i.e. virtually none), movement is a piece of the puzzle. No "motion blur" to show, rather the change / difference in angle of light passing through the spherical atmosphere ... coupled with the ISL falloff offer the issue of movement for the viewer's eye, and mind.

Yeah, I know ...

Nov 03, 2022 at 06:52 AM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Foggy Dawn ...

sbeme wrote:
Fine work Kent!!

Scott

What he said..

Nov 03, 2022 at 10:58 AM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Foggy Dawn ...

RustyBug wrote:
By "static", I mean it does not offer a range of movement for the eye. The center crop basically has the viewer at "look here" in the center, with no place else to really look, explore / think about. In the OP, the natural falloff to the right (non-existent in the cropped version), provides the change in tonality for the viewer to follow to the right. The color and brightness of the left side is greater, so there will be the pull back to the building / tree to return to. Similarly for the vertical (likely different to a degree).
...Show more

Eye movements come from focal points in an image. The more focal points the more movement. You have one focal point. The viewer goes there first, views the building, trees and pretty much stays there. There is “nothing” to see in the rest of the image, it is empty. My point is why make a great big image only to have a small portion of interest for the viewer, when the whole image can be interesting.

I agree that many comps have and are done over and over. To me this comp stands out as overdone, especially since the digital cameras became available. It is kind of like somebody said, “it needs to be done this way“, and everyone follows along.

Nov 03, 2022 at 01:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Foggy Dawn ...

My memory is too short to follow all the things that others have said.

Scale and mass of "nothing" ... is something.

But, I get it ... not everyone will see it that way.

grandmas wrote:
Eye movements come from focal points in an image. The more focal points the more movement. You have one focal point. The viewer goes there first, views the building, trees and pretty much stays there. There is “nothing” to see in the rest of the image, it is empty. My point is why make a great big image only to have a small portion of interest for the viewer, when the whole image can be interesting.

I agree that many comps have and are done over and over. To me this comp stands out as overdone, especially since the digital
...Show more

Nov 03, 2022 at 01:14 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.