FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · blue damselflies

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · blue damselflies

C&C please.

Don

Canon EOS R5    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/11.0    1/1600s    800 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Nov 01, 2022 at 08:13 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · blue damselflies

striking
is there a hint of BG that would work, making it a bit less clinical in appearance?

Scott

Nov 02, 2022 at 07:12 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · blue damselflies

There is moderately faint greens in splotches/undulations. I could bring them back to go in a different direction with the photo. Given that SOOC there wasn't a lot, I thought I would try a look that was clean/simple and brought the eyes to the damselflies and leaves only. I hadn't thought of it as clinical but I can see where it might be perceived that way. Something for me to contemplate. Thanks Scott.

Don

Nov 02, 2022 at 08:12 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · blue damselflies

I like how this is framed and I like both of the damselflies being in focus.
I think the back bg in this case is not really helping the separation of the subject because the blacks in the damselflies bodies gets lost in the bg. Not sure I made my comment clear.

Socrate

Nov 03, 2022 at 02:50 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · blue damselflies

Thanks for the feedback Socrate. It is along the same line as Scott's. I will go back to the pre-NR version (the one with the masking) and see about pulling up the shadows instead of pulling them down). Will repost - likely tomorrow.

Don

Nov 03, 2022 at 05:51 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · blue damselflies

+1 with Scott and Socrate

I kinda dig on the TWO flies, and THREE leaves. Might look to burn / vignette the LRC remnant leaves. Not sure about the BG, as the others have stated. Normally black gives separation, but with the black wings, they are camo'd into the abyss a bit.

Post up the ooc / raw to see what's there to work with.

Took a stab at pulling up the BG from the jpg to see what was in there. Kinda mucked up the mask, but I took the "green" in the BG and shifted it warmer as a "blob" of warm light kind of thing ... just brainstorming.

Nov 03, 2022 at 07:17 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · blue damselflies

May be both opening the bg and brightening the damselflies could help the separation of the subject.
This is just to make the point.

Nov 03, 2022 at 09:45 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · blue damselflies

Yup, I think the takeaway is that the BG needs to be something other than the abyss of black.
The variations of what can be done with the BG offer some creative license / liberty ... go for it, Don.

Nov 04, 2022 at 07:20 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · blue damselflies

Here's a reworked version; less "artistic" but more natural and closer to SOOC (re b/g).

Thoughts?

Don

Canon EOS R5    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/11.0    1/1600s    800 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Nov 04, 2022 at 01:22 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · blue damselflies

EverLearning wrote:
Here's a reworked version; less "artistic" but more natural and closer to SOOC (re b/g).

Thoughts?

Don

Much preferred to the abyss.

Nov 04, 2022 at 06:27 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · blue damselflies

I don' know about that Kent. The Abyss was a pretty good movie if I recall correctly.

I know, I know. There's one in every crowd.

Thanks for the feedback. I have to agree. The black b/g look can work really well with some photos but ultimately this wasn't one of them.

Don

Nov 04, 2022 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.