FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Male American Goldfinch

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Male American Goldfinch

C&C please.

Don

Canon EOS R5    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    800 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Oct 31, 2022 at 01:30 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Male American Goldfinch

Very nice one, Don. Those yellows are not easy to expose and render and you did a fine job on that.

I like the pose and the eye contact, with the catch light, is a plus. I also think the setting helps. Especially those vertical leaves following the subject orientation.

If there is one thing I would do is cloning the vertical leaf coming out of the bird's head. It's not all that distracting but it is not helping the subject either.

Either way it is a fine capture.

Socrate

Oct 31, 2022 at 02:13 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Male American Goldfinch

what Socrate said...
beautiful image

Scott

Oct 31, 2022 at 03:32 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Male American Goldfinch

Socrate and Scott, regarding cloning the vertical leaf, wouldn't it be readily apparent that I cloned it out above because there is the narrow part of the leaf below the Goldfinch that would abruptly end behind the bird? It strikes me as an all (clone it out above AND below the Goldfinch) or nothing. Agree, or am I overthinking it?

Don

Oct 31, 2022 at 06:48 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Male American Goldfinch

EverLearning wrote:
Socrate and Scott, regarding cloning the vertical leaf, wouldn't it be readily apparent that I cloned it out above because there is the narrow part of the leaf below the Goldfinch that would abruptly end behind the bird? It strikes me as an all (clone it out above AND below the Goldfinch) or nothing. Agree, or am I overthinking it?

Don

Clearly so, Don. You are not overthinking. That was understood. If you are going to do some cloning I know you are going to do it right

Socrate

Oct 31, 2022 at 09:31 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Male American Goldfinch

OK, here is another photo of the same scene where a large bird came by and ate the leaf blade behind the goldfinch. Better?

Don

Canon EOS R5    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    800 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Nov 01, 2022 at 11:42 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Male American Goldfinch

well done on the cloning!
Scott

Nov 02, 2022 at 07:12 PM
Jim Dockery
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Male American Goldfinch

Nice work on the cloning. Great shot - wish we saw more of these beautiful guys around here - they are the WA state bird after all!

Nov 04, 2022 at 03:54 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.