Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2022 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

gdanmitchell wrote:
That's for the full Creative Suite, right? That's a lot of other stuff beyond Photoshop and Lightroom, so we're comparing to something that goes well beyond the other Photo apps. If you need Premiere, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro and the others... you aren't going to be comparing that to the price of C1, et al.

I did learn one new thing. The Lightroom/Photoshop bundle isn't $10/month as I suggested. Apparently that is for a Lightroom-only package. The "Photography" package that includes both along with Bridge/ACR is $20/month, for those who are Photoshop aficionados, like me.

Many people may be eligible for some deals
...Show more

Glad I'm grandfathered in then. I use PS all the time for its great content-aware replacement tool.

edit: the 1tb is 20/month. the 20gb (what i have) is still 10/month.

I literally spent more on coffee today than this month's Adobe bill

Edited on Nov 02, 2022 at 06:17 PM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2022 at 04:52 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

gdanmitchell wrote:
That's for the full Creative Suite, right? That's a lot of other stuff beyond Photoshop and Lightroom, so we're comparing to something that goes well beyond the other Photo apps. If you need Premiere, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro and the others... you aren't going to be comparing that to the price of C1, et al.

I did learn one new thing. The Lightroom/Photoshop bundle isn't $10/month as I suggested. Apparently that is for a Lightroom-only package. The "Photography" package that includes both along with Bridge/ACR is $20/month, for those who are Photoshop aficionados, like me.

Many people may be eligible for some deals
...Show more

Yep. I subscribe to the whole shebang. I cannot be alone, right. There's so much more than photography that I do, although much of it grew out of photography. I've designed many CD covers, posters, advertisements, bumper stickers, t-shirts and more, so it's a no brainer to get the whole bundle. But I still get the perpetual version of Capture One because it simply does the best conversions in the least amount of time, and still use Photoshop because it's far and away the best at what it does. Most of what I do would simply not be possible at all in Lightroom alone. And even though I occasionally use Premier, I also pay for the far superior DaVinci ReSolve Studio version and have an entire "home" recording studio built inside the photo studio with its dedicated digital recording interfaces, tube mics and calibrated (just like all of our Eizo's) Genelec monitoring system. The real point is, is that you buy the right equipment to do the job at hand and you learn how to use it. That often costs more money but it also leaves you with the confidence of knowing you can do the job at a level where it's professionally acceptable. The last thing I ever want to have to say to a client is to apologize for not having the right equipment on hand to do their project. It's also why I've paid for the two best focus stacking programs, Helicon and Zerene, because when one chokes the other one will usually pull through, and when it doesn't then you're back to doing it all manually in Ps. And then, sometimes miraculously, when you're working on your own stuff, be it images or music, having all those options leads you to places you didn't think were possible.

I wish people would spend less time bitching about renting software or not and more time studying film for inspiration - where sometimes cinematographers will wait for weeks just to the the right light or build custom rigs to get the camera in a place where it's never been before or figure out lighting that tells the story as much as the script, the actors or the camera movements.

Most of these software discussions should not be either/or, they should be this plus that and how to those two solutions work together to help make your work better. And then it takes seat time to learn how to drive, to learn how to see and how to apply what you have seen and learned to your own voice. The first ten thousand hours are just a beginning. The first half century, well, now we're talking.

Nov 02, 2022 at 06:07 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

Just to chime on on the OP's original topic, since I have direct experience with the same..

I shoot studio still life, tethered, often compositing or blending frames.. I print 17x22 in most cases, but as large as 36" wide for some.

I've used Hasselblad X1D, X2D, Fuji GFX100s, GFX50s II, Sony A7R4/3/2, Canon R5 and Nikon Z7 ii.

All I have left is the Z7 II (2 of them) and the X1D with 35-75 zoom. I'll probably be selling the X1D and zoom shortly.

The Z7 II has met all of my needs, including some unique ones (like tethered live view via Capture one, while simultaneously outputting video via HDMI to a monitor). The IQ is fantastic, and for when I want the Film simulations from Fuji I use the equivalent Cobalt profiles.

I know a professional landscape photographer who makes some massive prints, 7-8 feet wide, on metal.. and he was doing that a few years ago with a crop Canon camera (though manually up-rezzed and properly prepped for printing..). IMO, unless you're printing really really big (wall-sized, billboard, etc..), or just cropping the heck out of something, then printing the crop really large, the 100MP sensors are a bit overrated.

The MF sensors are great w.r.t to dynamic range, but the trade-off is DoF.. For my use where I control the lighting and rarely exceed 8-9 stops of range, I value the additional DoF from the smaller FF sensor far more than the incraesed dynamic range of the 33x44 MF sensor.

Nov 02, 2022 at 09:43 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

Jeff Rogers wrote:
A few years ago I shot with a Hasselblad 50 megapixel body (before the XD) and lenses but switched over to the Nikon mirrorless system due to weight considerations, and honestly, I could not tell that much difference in the files. I have been using a Nikon Z7 since it came out and really love it, however a lot of my print work is being used bigger and bigger so I’m considering going back up to medium format. Is the Fuji GFX 100 S a big improvement for those of you that have moved up from full frame 45
...Show more

There is rumor of a Z8 with 60ish megapixels if you want to wait before switching systems. NikonRumors stated that Nikon is working on 3-4 bodies, two of which are the Z6 III and Z7 III, than a D500 type body most likely and a high-res body.

Nov 02, 2022 at 10:54 PM
Jeff Rogers
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

AZ, I thought the same thing when I saw that Sony had announced their newest model with the 60 megapixel sensor. Thx.

Nov 03, 2022 at 07:08 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

Jeff Rogers wrote:
AZ, I thought the same thing when I saw that Sony had announced their newest model with the 60 megapixel sensor. Thx.

The 61MP FF Sony has been there for a while, the same sensor tech that is used in the GFX100/GFX100s. Had it for 2 yrs, didn't like it that much. I preferred even my GFX50s over it for people shots. But I am just an opinionated hobbyist.

Nov 03, 2022 at 08:41 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

Any Nikon that uses that old ass, dog slow Sony 61 megapixel sensor is a nonstarter.

Nov 03, 2022 at 03:22 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

I easily consider it to be their worst sensor, they should've just kept fine tuning the sensor that was in the RII and RIII and fixing the readout speeds in that, but nope. Sony wanted to "Push big numbers" and it actually became the camera that killed whatever urge I had to shoot Sony and they never even firmware updated that camera outside of probably bug fixes.
RoamingScott wrote:
Any Nikon that uses that old ass, dog slow Sony 61 megapixel sensor is a nonstarter.

Nov 03, 2022 at 04:03 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

JadedWriter wrote:
I easily consider it to be their worst sensor, they should've just kept fine tuning the sensor that was in the RII and RIII and fixing the readout speeds in that, but nope. Sony wanted to "Push big numbers" and it actually became the camera that killed whatever urge I had to shoot Sony and they never even firmware updated that camera outside of probably bug fixes.

Nikon did that for them with the Z9

Nov 03, 2022 at 04:07 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

The RIV put the lid on the coffin, the Z9 was basically the hammer that put the nails into the lid.
RoamingScott wrote:
Nikon did that for them with the Z9

Nov 03, 2022 at 04:09 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

Jeff Rogers wrote:
A few years ago I shot with a Hasselblad 50 megapixel body (before the XD) and lenses but switched over to the Nikon mirrorless system due to weight considerations, and honestly, I could not tell that much difference in the files. I have been using a Nikon Z7 since it came out and really love it, however a lot of my print work is being used bigger and bigger so I’m considering going back up to medium format. Is the Fuji GFX 100 S a big improvement for those of you that have moved up from full frame 45
...Show more

I.looked at 33x44 and it had a great "look," but the math and the online files didn't make me think that resolution gains would be that large.

Looking at the conversation above, 60mp FF = 100mp 33x44, as far as pixel density.

Nov 03, 2022 at 09:59 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

RoamingScott wrote:
Glad I'm grandfathered in then. I use PS all the time for its great content-aware replacement tool.

I think Gimp had that long before PS.

Nov 03, 2022 at 10:08 PM
woodstork
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · GFX100s vs 45mp in Nikon/Sony?

The GFX system is awesome, but my advice is to rent before you buy. I’ve owned both and the differences between GFX and Z output are far more subtle than the differences were between medium format and 35mm film. For my use cases I found the versatility of the Z system led me to pick it up far more often than my GFX.

Nov 22, 2022 at 09:30 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.