New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Stan with Moon ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stan with Moon ...

Kent Southers 2022

LEICA M (Typ 240)    Summarit-M 1:2.4/75 lens    75mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Oct 28, 2022 at 11:47 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stan with Moon ...

Kent, you have had some very nice photos of these cables but this one doesn't have the same appeal. It isn't clear (without the title and history of the other threads) what the lines are nor the thing between the top two lines. There is no compelling subject to hold the viewer's attention. There is very little convergence (and what is there doesn't lead to anything). There is no pattern and minimal texture. Lastly, the "thing" between the two lines is touching the line.

My last sentence is the basis for a suggestion. The same location could offer a more compelling image if the moon is full (or close to full) and has complete separation from the cables (in between two or above the top one).

HTH

Don

Oct 29, 2022 at 01:00 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stan with Moon ...

EverLearning wrote:
Kent, you have had some very nice photos of these cables but this one doesn't have the same appeal. It isn't clear (without the title and history of the other threads) what the lines are nor the thing between the top two lines. There is no compelling subject to hold the viewer's attention. There is very little convergence (and what is there doesn't lead to anything). There is no pattern and minimal texture. Lastly, the "thing" between the two lines is touching the line.

My last sentence is the basis for a suggestion. The same location could offer a more compelling
...Show more

Thanks Don.

I appreciate the response. Pretty much the same things that I noted, as well. Always the potential for the creator to view something with info / knowledge that a viewer may not be armed with. I get surprised sometimes by how others see things. Sometimes I think something is awesome and others "Meh / Yawn". Other times I think something is going to be a buzzkill, and others think it is cool. Even within the different forums (PC vs. Presentation vs. Gear) you can get widely different responses from folks (which is why I post in the diff forums).

It'll be interesting (to me) to see how something like plays ... when it is included in the series (which then imparts additional knowledge to the viewer) ... and if it takes on a "support role" image, rather than a big star.

I wondered if the small mass, oblique lighting and "touching" the line would be a deterrent for some ... or would it still convey the moon well enough, as it is only a minor element.

That said, I still like the oblique lighting on the moon, as it compares to the lighting on the cables. Probably an insignificant / trivial detail for many.

Oct 29, 2022 at 01:16 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stan with Moon ...

RustyBug wrote:
I get surprised sometimes by how others see things. Sometimes I think something is awesome and others "Meh / Yawn". Other times I think something is going to be a buzzkill, and others think it is cool.

Boy, do I ever know what you mean. I had a photo years ago that I debated whether to add it to my web site but ultimately did and somebody down in San Diego saw it on my site and bought a decent sized print of it. If not for that sale, I probably would have taken it off my site by now. On the other end, my Monet-like wood duck photo went over like a lead duck, er balloon, in this forum yet one of my daughters and my sister-in-law (both very artistic in a variety of mediums) absolutely loved it (my sister-in-law said it was her most favourite of all my photos she has seen).

One never knows how a photo will connect with people. I go with what I think are my best photos and "whatever will be, will be".

Don

Oct 29, 2022 at 02:45 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stan with Moon ...

This one doesn't work for me.
Several reasons:
First, more moon is promised by the title.
Second, moon is very small in the overall image, more a detail than subject.
Third, as Don indicated, it's touching or nearly touching the cable doesn't help. Better if it was centered between.

Scott

Oct 29, 2022 at 04:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stan with Moon ...

Thanks Scott ... I hear ya.

As to the title, maybe that's a bit misleading / misnomer. It's not really the "title" of the image. It's just part of my naming the file so I know it differently from the others. So, your point about "detail" would be on par with it NOT being the SUBJECT.

I mostly like the lighting correlation between the moon and the cables. Since the cables run as a resonating subject, the moon just offers a little (key point at little) differentiation ... never really considered it to be subject matter, per se.

Oct 29, 2022 at 07:57 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stan with Moon ...

I believe what Scott and Don are trying to say is that the image is lacking an anchor point. Well, at least that is what I thing the image is lacking of.

I do like the contrast of the cables and the sky and maybe that is also taking away from the moon. I am sure this is not like you saw it.

Socrate

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stan with Moon ...

Shasoc wrote:
I believe what Scott and Don are trying to say is that the image is lacking an anchor point. Well, at least that is what I thing the image is lacking of.

I do like the contrast of the cables and the sky and maybe that is also taking away from the moon. I am sure this is not like you saw it.

Socrate

Thanks Socrate.

Not quite sure I follow the "not like you saw it"

Oct 31, 2022 at 06:51 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stan with Moon ...

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks Socrate.

Not quite sure I follow the "not like you saw it"

I don't know if it ever happened to you, but it has happened to me, quite a few times, to "see" a picture and I take it. Then when I see that same picture on my monitor I realize that it is not the picture I saw (more with my mind than my eyes, I guess).

Socrate

Oct 31, 2022 at 02:44 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.