New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

I am going to the Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica in two months. I expect to be doing a lot of kneeling for shots. I don't anticipate kneeling on much rock but instead mostly on snow. Or, more accurately, a "wonderful" mixture of snow and penguin poop! There are fairly restrictive weight limits on the regional flight (Buenos Aires to Ushuaia) so I don't want to take a lot of pants with me but I also don't want to be wearing "poop pants" to dinner.

In a nutshell, I am hoping to find a knee pad of some type that is mostly intended to protect pants from getting stuff on them rather than big bulky padded knee pads. I did search FM and found a post from three years ago, but it was geared towards padded protection (Alta tactical Knee Pads, Black Diamond Telekneesis Kneepad, Heritage Leather 321 Easy Walk Double Felt Leather Knee Pads, etc).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Oct 27, 2022 at 10:28 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

if you are concern with bulk/space in the luggage, then look for gardening knee pads or simply neoprene knee pads - the plastic shells or neoprene are easier to wash

if you are crafts inclined, you can even make your own, as it seems you looking more for dirt protection

Oct 27, 2022 at 10:54 AM
rolly
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

Not the least expensive option, but weigh just over 8 oz., articulate well and protect your knees and pants.
https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/telekneesis-kneepads/

Rolly

Oct 27, 2022 at 02:02 PM
aryaah

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

I am traveling to South Georgia and Antarctica next month with luggage weight restrictions. My waterproof pants for the land excursions are an outer layer and will be removed on board the ship. I’ll wear joggers or running pants for the ship activities since it’s all casual on our ship. Neither of these has appreciable weight and will help with the weight limits. If you’re wearing a woolen base layer for warmth you can wear a pair of running shorts over that for ship wear.
A small waterproof tarp when kneeling on the ground to protect your clothing can replace the knee pads. Roll it up and attach it to your backpack or waist pack. You can also sit on it rather than kneeling to give you another photo perspective.
Utilize the ship’s laundry services if necessary to keep things fresh or utilize clothing which you can easily wash yourself. A Scrubba wash bag is very useful to easily wash clothing in a confined area.

Oct 27, 2022 at 04:27 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

look for active wear type kneepads. Tactical or things like sking.

Oct 27, 2022 at 07:58 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

Look on Amazon for:
COSYLAND Thick Kneeling Pad, Garden Knee Pads for Work Gardening, Yoga Mat, Baby Bath Kneeler Mat, Kneeling Mat for Exercise Fitness, Floor Foam Pad 17 x 11 x 1.7 Inches (Blue - 1 Pack) $9.99

Oct 27, 2022 at 09:53 PM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

Maybe you could put holes in zip lock bags for the straps, put the knee pads into the bags, and wear them protected from the penguin poop. Then discard the bags every day before dinner and use new bags the next day. I always have zip lock bags in many sizes because I invent new ways to use them frequently. This just seems the ideal solution for your problem.

For the knee pads themselves, look for the jell filled pads with the tire tread looking outside. Mine are from AWP and I bought them at Lowes several years ago. They have a tag on them for the website www.construction-gear.com as well. I have had both knees replaced, the result of a fire fighting accident, and something they don't tell you before surgery is that they remove all of your built-in padding when they do this. Kneeling on thick soft carpeting now feels like kneeling on road gravel to me. It's a pain level that I will do anything to avoid experiencing. My purchased knee pads are now what I described above. I take these knee pads with me whenever doing an outdoor shoot, but also use them in my studio, if I need to get down on the floor. After knee replacement surgery, the other thing that they fail to tell you is how difficult it will be to get back up once down. I always make certain that I have a chair, door knob, or step ladder to help me climb back up after completing my need to be on the floor or ground. It's H*** to get old, but I don't like the alternative. Fortunately, with good knees, you won't have all of these side problems. Take good care of your knees. Though the replacements work very well, they aren't nearly as good as the originals.

Charley

Oct 29, 2022 at 03:01 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

Thanks for all the feedback everybody. I am looking at a few different options.

Oct 29, 2022 at 03:23 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

rolly wrote:
Not the least expensive option, but weigh just over 8 oz., articulate well and protect your knees and pants.
https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/telekneesis-kneepads/

Rolly

I've used the BD telekneesis extensively with success in the Galapagos and Falkelands. They use strong enough plastic for kneeling on volcanic and other rocks. (Padding is minimal - fine for people with average knees, though maybe not for those with bad knees.) You can wash off the BDs easily while avoiding the soggy mess that occurs with the garden type of kneepads.

EBH

Oct 30, 2022 at 05:30 AM
Timkr
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

I used some knee pads by Arc’teryx on my trip to antarctica and for multiple bear trips in Katmai. Very light, comfortable and durable

Oct 30, 2022 at 03:35 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

CharleyL wrote:
Maybe you could put holes in zip lock bags for the straps, put the knee pads into the bags, and wear them protected from the penguin poop. Then discard the bags every day before dinner and use new bags the next day. I always have zip lock bags in many sizes because I invent new ways to use them frequently. This just seems the ideal solution for your problem.

For the knee pads themselves, look for the jell filled pads with the tire tread looking outside. Mine are from AWP and I bought them at Lowes several years ago. They have
...Show more

I would consider watching a couple video's on U-Tube from an athlete who also had a knee replacement
Those days of needing support to get up when down on the ground could be over for you

Look for his channels Knees over Toes. & ATG

Nov 01, 2022 at 10:09 AM
aryaah

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

No kneeling on the ground or laying down on South Georgia Island due to Avian Flu. We were informed of this fact on our ship today in anticipation of arrival to this area tomorrow.
Very strict measures to avoid contamination when visiting and returning from South Georgia and Antarctica landings.

Nov 19, 2022 at 01:46 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

What is wrong with getting a little dirt on your pants?

I use internal pads that go on under my pants when planning on doing a lot of kneeling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L379FPE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

If you want to keep your pants pristine for some reason then buy a pair of rain pants that you can wear over your pants. You will get rain, wind, and dirt protection. These also are very light and take up very little space in ones luggage.

Nov 19, 2022 at 03:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

https://lapolicegear.com/search-magic/?query=knee%20pads

take a look

Nov 19, 2022 at 03:20 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

Aryaah, you really caught me off guard with your post on no kneeling. I have seen photos and videos of people kneeling. Is this restriction quite new?

Nov 19, 2022 at 05:32 PM
aryaah

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

I don’t know when these restrictions became active but we received a lecture on the importance of avoiding contamination of pristine areas such as South Georgia Island. That included strict cleaning of boots and clothing before leaving and returning to the ship.
Essentially, can’t sit, kneel, or lay on the ground for photographs.
I saw the same photos and videos of photographers in these positions but I suspect that these were not recent.
Please excuse the delay in responding since the internet on the ship is rather slow.

Nov 20, 2022 at 09:02 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

Might be handy to have a low tripod or a groundpod, and a camera with a 'waist level finder' (i.e. fully articulated rear LCD screen).

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:58 AM
aryaah

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

Anything that touches the ground needs to be disinfected before leaving and after returning to the ship. There is a solution that we need to step in with our boots to accomplish this goal. Tips of hiking poles need to be cleaned similarly so I suspect this would also be applicable to the devices mentioned for camera support.

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:24 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

Thanks for the follow up aryaah. The new(?) rules are disappointing. A problem knee prevents me from doing the no-kneel, full squat bum-to-heels crouch to get low shots.

Galapagos had strict protocols to prevent organisms being transported from island to island too but we were allowed to kneel. They had the standard boot solution but they also had other stations - for cleaning knees, clothing, bags, etc. But that was about 12 or 13 years ago. Perhaps they have gone the no-kneeling route too.

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:30 AM
ChrisHA
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Looking for a different kind of knee pad

If you still need for something else, check out kneelons (karate/gardening).

Dec 04, 2022 at 06:39 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.