Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ren Roaring

Ren had an energy that was contagious.

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:06 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ren Roaring

Do not take my comments as disrespectful or demeaning! They are not meant to be!
Her facial color clashes with the rest of the image!
The last few are better but still need some facial color enhancement.
She is a great subject and has an engaging smile!
Good luck!
Dan

Oct 27, 2022 at 05:44 PM
Josh Lewis
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ren Roaring

Danpbphoto wrote:
Do not take my comments as disrespectful or demeaning! They are not meant to be!
Her facial color clashes with the rest of the image!
The last few are better but still need some facial color enhancement.
She is a great subject and has an engaging smile!
Good luck!
Dan

Thank you Dan. This was my first photo shoot with a portrait lens; previous photo shoot was my first time ever trying to get a portrait look. Both unpaid for a friend. I've shot landscape for years, but decided to try branching out. Upon your feedback, attached is a completely re-touched edition of one of the above photos using a kin tone mapper for the first time. Would love to know if it worked better than above. Don't really know too much about getting great skin tones aside from trying not to over white it, watching shadows, and basic colour adjustments. I've never owned a quality flash but do try to use natural lighting to my advantage which seemed pretty good that day. Again, thank you Dan for the honest feedback. Trying to better understand if it's in the editing or simply making greater efforts to capture Ren with backgrounds that better match her facial colour. The lighting died down by the time I realized she may have been the best model of the day.

Oct 27, 2022 at 07:15 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ren Roaring

Much better Josh!
I am "challenged" by shooting portraits, or people shots up close, so receive my comments as from a viewer versus a photographer of portraits.
This a a better composition. The below her neck and the light above her neck( I can see a line of division there) seem off. Now that maybe to what light you have to work with. I can only speculate here.

I was hoping the great portrait shooters here would have "chimed" in by now. Maybe the background is confusing my eyes here. Easy to do for an olde fart!

Facial toning is a very touchy subject for me. I try to correct one thing and it throws out another.

Just take my comments as what a viewer is seeing. I cannot offer any pp suggestions. And as I said, I was hoping others would offer better advice.
Good Luck!
Dan

Oct 28, 2022 at 09:05 AM
Josh Lewis
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ren Roaring

Danpbphoto wrote:
Much better Josh!
I am "challenged" by shooting portraits, or people shots up close, so receive my comments as from a viewer versus a photographer of portraits.
This a a better composition. The below her neck and the light above her neck( I can see a line of division there) seem off. Now that maybe to what light you have to work with. I can only speculate here.

I was hoping the great portrait shooters here would have "chimed" in by now. Maybe the background is confusing my eyes here. Easy to do for an olde fart!

Facial toning is a very touchy subject
...Show more

Thank you Dan for the pointers. Looking at other photos it seems there was some mild terrain which is why the line behind that separates the ground to the trees appears lightly tilted. I could have dulled down the background, as a landscape photographer it usually helps the subject. So it's possible I may need to re-calibrate certain expectations. Obviously the talent comes first and shouldn't have a background that takes away from them. I'll be posting other portraits from that day which were vastly different (poses, people, lighting, background). Keeping Ren natural was another high priority.

Oct 28, 2022 at 06:22 PM
spoupard
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ren Roaring

I would suggest converting to black and white. That will solve your color balance problem without taking away from the little girl's feeling of excitement. These are very nice captures!

Oct 31, 2022 at 06:34 AM
Josh Lewis
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ren Roaring

Thank you spoupard. Here's the B&W version.

Nov 01, 2022 at 05:14 AM
spoupard
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ren Roaring

Josh Lewis wrote:
Thank you spoupard. Here's the B&W version.

Yes! This is excellent!

Nov 01, 2022 at 06:26 AM
Dave_E
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ren Roaring

Both the color (retouched and B&W) are quite lovely. I've never shot portraits but may try it out on the two year old grandson if I can get him to slow down.

Dave

Nov 04, 2022 at 04:15 PM
Josh Lewis
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ren Roaring

Dave_E wrote:
Both the color (retouched and B&W) are quite lovely. I've never shot portraits but may try it out on the two year old grandson if I can get him to slow down.

Dave

Thank you Dave. Fast can be even more exciting but much harder with a f/1.4 aperture. Mind you these were shot with a Samyang which doesn't have quite the fastest AF, but great for most scenes. For fast portraits either I'd go first party or get good with touch focus shutter. A big fan of the latter.

Nov 05, 2022 at 04:59 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.