Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              55       56       end

Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

True, it will come down to peopleís shooting priorities.

GMPhotography wrote:
It's really a tough call even if you have no camera at all for maybe 1700 more you can get the A1 which kinds makes more sense in some ways.

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:43 AM
DFason
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Did anyone catch when they expect to ship?

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:44 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Yeah, no argument. I was just trying to point out that this isnít intended as an upgrade path from Sony for the a1. It is significant enough for me coming from the a7R III.

AGeoJO wrote:
The A7r V is geared more towards landscape and studio photographers (duh). The A1 is still the current reigning top dog as the do-all or universal camera. I am staying put until the A1 II is introduced.

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:46 AM
rdcny
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

priced too high given the value of the yen to the dollar...should have been 2995

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:48 AM
patotts
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Fred Miranda wrote:
From the responses so far, the new A7R V does not seem exciting enough to entice current Sony shooters to upgrade. Perhaps that will change?

Online reviewers like Jared Polin, Chris Niccolls, etc seemed pretty lukewarm. They all acknowledge the improvements but surely weren't glowing in their reviews.

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:51 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Hodie wrote:
I want to know if the A1 will get a firmware update for the new AF functionsÖ

The A7RV has a new separate AI chip for AF, I don't think that's something that can be added via firmware.

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:51 AM
patotts
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

rdcny wrote:
priced too high given the value of the yen to the dollar...should have been 2995

How should it be $2,995 when the Canon R5 is $3,899 - still after 2 years...

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:52 AM
pjmsj21
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Majestictone wrote:
I like the articulating screen but not sure I would go this route... I still use my trusty RII but do want to upgrade to the IIIA or IVA.... A1 is beyond my realm at this time.

Looking at your images posted on Flickr. the A7RII is far from limiting your ability to produce some beautiful images!

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:54 AM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

leolab wrote:
What really strikes me about all of the successive A7 releases since the original is the increase in weight and size. Granted lots more tech crammed in, but the original A7 was about 250g lighter than this A7RV...something I really noticed when picking up my original A7 vs my (now gone) A7RIV.

I know the A7c exists but I can't live with that VF and flippy screen.

Part of me wishes for a simpler stills-focused Sony FF camera with a contemporaneous sensor a simple tilt screen and a nice big VF, at around that 450g point (IBIS and video free)

Before I would have gone with the oft-repeated refrain that video doesn't add much in terms of bulk and complexity...but given what is now required for processing and cooling with 4K60/120 or 8K, I'm' changing my tune a bit. I wonder what Sony could pull off with a stills focused camera without extra processing and heat sinks.

It would be a niche camera, so I'm guessing sales volumes would mean it wouldn't be any cheaper, but it's a fun intellectual exercise. Hmmm...

Edited on Oct 26, 2022 at 11:59 AM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:59 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Fred Miranda wrote:
From the responses so far, the new A7R V does not seem exciting enough to entice current Sony shooters to upgrade. Perhaps that will change?

I'm going to upgrade the A7RIV I use in the studio for product photography for my business, mainly due to the better color science. It's a worthy successor, if I shot primarily with an A7RIV outside of work I would certainly upgrade. As it is, I have the A1 for that, and this won't challenge that. That said, I think it's a preview of some new technology we'll see in the A1 II in terms of the new focusing tech. It sounded from the presentation as if its not just software, so we'll see.

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

mawz wrote:
But I was hoping that Sony would do some real changes around computational photography. Yeah, we get focus bracketing (finally), but no in-camera stack, nor did we get that from multi-shot either. If their answer is Imaging Edge, itís a lousy answer.

The short answer is the RV looks like a nice upgrade, but the cost differential is just too steep for what Iím getting as a landscape shooter for me to actually upgrade.

The one thing that keeps me drooling over the OM-1 remains the computational features, especially LiveND. They just solve issues I have working light and in the
...Show more

Remind me again, which cameras do in-camera RAW focus stacks?

I'm putting my OM-1 up for sale soon, if you're interested - I ordered an A7R V yesterday. If I can sell the OM-1 and my A7R IVa that should cover the cost of the new camera...

Edited on Oct 26, 2022 at 12:56 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:05 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

jeffbuzz wrote:
Nothing really surprising or groundbreaking in the a7RM5. It is basically what I expected. Not sure if I like the unmarked, custom dial replacing the dedicated Exp Comp dial. I'm sure I'd adapter to it. But I would not want to shoot this new body in parallel with one of the other style bodies. Too many handling differences.

Since none of the other cameras share this layout, the a7RM5 is an island unto itself at the moment. Perhaps this is a glimpse of what an a9M3 may look like? If so, I'd probably follow that migration path and go from the
...Show more

moving forward, the new dials are amazing, it makes me hesitate going back. Past models, simply do not appeal anymore

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:08 PM
dclark
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

I would like to see the AF capability, especially the video AF improvements, added to the A1 via firmware, but since the AF improvements seem to depend on the additional AI processor, that seems unlikely, maybe impossible. I suppose we will need to wait for the A1II, and cough up another $7K, to see the addition of the AI processor.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:09 PM
secondclaw
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Good bye money ...
I said I will not buy another Sony unless they have articulated screen that works in portrait mode, and focus bracket... I'm preordering this thing tomorrow... My trusty a7r3 will get IR treatment most likely.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:10 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

DFason wrote:
Did anyone catch when they expect to ship?

End of November, I think

Charlie N
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

patotts wrote:
Online reviewers like Jared Polin, Chris Niccolls, etc seemed pretty lukewarm. They all acknowledge the improvements but surely weren't glowing in their reviews.

were they expecting A1 performance in a $4K body?

This is a big upgrade over the R4, even if evolutionary.

Douglas L
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

If the A7RV could shoot 15 FPS I might have been interested in getting one to replace one of my A1s. I do like the new bulb mode and the focus bracketing, hopefully these will get added to the A1 in the next FW update.

patotts
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Charlie N wrote:
were they expecting A1 performance in a $4K body?

This is a big upgrade over the R4, even if evolutionary.

I think both are Canon users at this point. Reviews seem more to focus on the small shortcomings vs all the improvements. Then again, it is pre-production.

I'll admit that the A7R5 seems lacking in sensor read-out speed, but I think it has many other advantages over the A1, so at this point, I'd rather take the A7R5 and save some real money.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:14 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

Fomer Nikon shooter, and now former Canon shooter, Taylor Jackson seems to like it ;-)

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:15 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Official: Sony A7R V announced (pre-orders now available)

I think what everyone here is missing is that it has significant video upgrades and while maybe not as intriguing for most in this photo centric forum, I think a lot of hybrid shooters will want this camera for these significant upgrades.

And also missing in this discussion and mediocre response from some here is that a very significant segment of Sony users are hybrid shooters. Last few weeks in the media room at University of Tennessee football stadium I saw a significant number of Sony shooters, probably nearly equal to the number of Canon or Nikon shooters. And many of these shooters also record video. Or only record video. This increase in the number of Sony shooters is pretty remarkable to me.

For most here, yeah, if you are not into video and your 7r4 is working, maybe not a huge urgency to upgrade. But, if you shoot some or a lot of video, love the faster card slots and the articulating screen, then it will be a no brainer purchase, especially if you also want the pixel increase over the a7IV.

And forget about a stills focused camera from Sony. That's not their market. Or maybe the photography market in general. If I was a stills only non-sports guy, I'd look at that Sony sensor in the Hasselblad x2d, which is a stills only camera.

Edited on Oct 26, 2022 at 12:17 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:16 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.