New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

OM-1 Field guide for Birds. A guide for geriatric photographers

Tom Reynolds
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · OM-1 Field guide for Birds. A guide for geriatric photographers

RZ350 wrote:
The OM-1 was/is a substantial upgrade to previous models. There is a very large learning curve coming from the other models. One of these was the size and control of focus points. What I have found is that the subject recognition is awesome. What is not awesome are the focus points lighting up green signifying correct AF. They can be totally misleading if there is anything intervening. On numerous occasions, I have had them light up and to download the images to find that the camera had focused on a twig or leaf which was slightly closer. A week ago
...Show more

Did you have TR (Tracking) on?

Tom

Nov 08, 2022 at 11:56 AM
RZ350

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · OM-1 Field guide for Birds. A guide for geriatric photographers

I do not use tracking other than animal or bird recognition per the AI recognition. If the background is clear, ie clear skies, it works very well. What I also found in the grizzly pictures was that it liked the grass in the foreground even though it highlighted the bears. The bears were distant ~200m and I was using my 100-400 +/- my 1.4tc. I have photographed grizzlies in the same meadow using a since sold ep-5 and 100-300 Panasonic lens and I also had a Nikon D300s with 300f4 and 1.7tc. The photos taken in 2014 were better. The intervening snow (light) and grass in the foreground interfered with accurate focus. As stated before on the single bear, I did use single point and it should have been accurate, but it wasn't as good as I hoped. Had I had another opportunity this year, I would take my z6 and Sigma 150-600 and 1.4tc to see what they could do. But the weather has intervened and we shall go from here.

Nov 09, 2022 at 11:05 AM
fadeslayer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · OM-1 Field guide for Birds. A guide for geriatric photographers

I hope there will be a firmware update to upgrade AF algorithms, it's far too easy that OM-1 focus on foreground grass than on any detected subject... nullifying the usefulness of the subject detection. AF is not refined enough or does not use any information from the detection routines to target subjects.

Nov 11, 2022 at 01:30 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · OM-1 Field guide for Birds. A guide for geriatric photographers

There was a firmware update. Are you on the current version?

Version 1.2 improved auto focus.

Nov 11, 2022 at 03:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password