New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Mac Ventura is out

Zenon Char
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mac Ventura is out

All is well so far. LrC 12 and PS 24 working for me so far. Sent a file to Photo AI and back. Canon's DPP good. Iíve never installed Lr. Updating MacBook Air now.

The new System Settings layout will take a bit of getting used to.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/06/07/apple-simplifies-system-settings-for-macos-ventura-moves-many-items

One known issue so far. Avoid if your catalogue is in an external drive. You could always move it to the HD and back, or wait.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-v12-0-cannot-edit-from-external-drive-with-full-disk-access-on-macos-ventura/m-p/13281520?mv=affiliate&mv2=red

Oct 24, 2022 at 04:07 PM
dvoss

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mac Ventura is out

Thanks for posting this. I keep everything on an external SSD to move between two computers. Glad I haven't upgraded to Ventura yet. Adobe has no ETA on a fix:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-mac-ventura-known-issues-please-read-before-you-upgrade-your-os/td-p/13285146

Oct 25, 2022 at 05:34 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mac Ventura is out

You can move the catalogue to the HD and back again but since there is no hurry.

Oct 25, 2022 at 05:58 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mac Ventura is out

And to anyone still using Drobo's, the word is that they will not be updating drivers for the new Mac OS.

Oct 25, 2022 at 08:36 PM
Mujabad123
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mac Ventura is out

I' ll probably wait for another few months before going from Monterey to Ventura. Don' t know what external hardware and software will do at the moment. Eizo monitor / Canon printer / LaCie external drive / DXO PL / Affinity Photo / Qimage One /i1Profiler , etc. etc.

Oct 26, 2022 at 01:10 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mac Ventura is out

Mujabad123 wrote:
I' ll probably wait for another few months before going from Monterey to Ventura. Don' t know what external hardware and software will do at the moment. Eizo monitor / Canon printer / LaCie external drive / DXO PL / Affinity Photo / Qimage One /i1Profiler , etc. etc.

Many wait. Not bad idea depending on how many apps you use and especially if depend on it. For me it's a hobby. I don't have as many apps and a backup computer. My apps are the most current and the Seagate EDH's are OK. I did the same thing last year with Monterey and no issues. It is a bit of a risk but so far I've been lucky. One day I might get bit.

I have not tried On1 profiler yet.

Oct 26, 2022 at 08:22 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mac Ventura is out

It would be nice if the folks in Cupertino could oblige its user base with on-going updates to their native camera RAW support to coincide with their .x OS updates, this "having to wait to clear-the-backlog with the next major OS release" serves no one's (read: photographers, camera manufacturers, software developers, Apple's) best interest. A lot of cameras have seen release since Monterey first appeared last year...

Oct 26th - OM System OM-5, Sony a7R V
Oct 13th - Sony ZV-1F

Sep 28th - Sony FX30
Sep 8th - Fujifilm X-H2
Sep 7th - Hasselblad X2D 100c

Jun 29th - Nikon Z30

May 31st - Fujifilm X-H2S
May 24th - Canon EOS R7, Canon EOS R10

Feb 22nd - Panasonic Lumix DC-GH6
Feb 15th - OM System OM-1

Jan 19th - Canon EOS R5 C
Jan 13th - Leica M11

Oct 28th - Nikon Z9
Oct 21st - Sony a7 IV
Oct 7th - Panasonic Lumix DC-BS1H

Sep 9th - Ricoh GR IIIx
Sep 2nd - Fujifilm GFX 50S II, Fujifilm X-T30 II

Jul 27th - Sony ZV-E10

Jun 29th - Nikon Z fc
Jun 9th - Olympus PEN E-P7

May 25th - Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 II (most recent camera in Monterey)

...and support for those cameras could easily have been provided with those .x OS updates, well, IMHO.

Also, Team Cupertino has provided support documents for these Camera RAW/OS updates in the past, such as for Monterey here,...

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212821

...but I've yet to locate such documentation for Ventura.

Now, it wasn't always like this, when Apple had a little skin-in-the-game with Aperture they provided their user-base with ongoing non-major-OS-release RAW updaters. But, that was then and this is today...so it looks like my ever-expanding GH6 RAW images pile will have to await a bit further for my attention. Good thing I don't do this for a living.

In fairness, I can't speak for how things are handled in the Windows or Linux worlds with those OS developers providing for native RAW support, I'm just reporting about the on-topic situation for Ventura and my-platform-of-choice, since 1995, Apple.

Oct 28, 2022 at 05:35 AM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mac Ventura is out

Iím curious: what do you do that makes OS support for Raw files so critical? One of my cameras from 2014-Samsung NX1-still isnít supported and all it means is I canít see a thumbnail in the finder or open in Photos. The lack of a thumbnail is annoying at worst, I only use Photos for jpegs, so neither issue is a big deal. As long as my database and processor support the files Iím good.

Oct 28, 2022 at 08:13 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mac Ventura is out

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-12-0-1/

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-mac-ventura-known-issues-please-read-before-you-upgrade-your-os/m-p/13281520?clickref=1100lwg9arm7&mv=affiliate&mv2=pz&as_camptype=&as_channel=affiliate&as_source=partnerize&as_campaign=lightroomqueen

Oct 28, 2022 at 08:44 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mac Ventura is out

jwpstl wrote:
Iím curious: what do you do that makes OS support for Raw files so critical? One of my cameras from 2014-Samsung NX1-still isnít supported and all it means is I canít see a thumbnail in the finder or open in Photos. The lack of a thumbnail is annoying at worst, I only use Photos for jpegs, so neither issue is a big deal. As long as my database and processor support the files Iím good.

Mosttimes I need to do no more than utilize the functionality of Preview to work on a RAW file (exposure, WB, sharpen, etc.) and I rely heavily on such native OS support for that ease-of-use.

Oct 28, 2022 at 09:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zenon Char
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mac Ventura is out

Ventura has changed how you access the system report. You can go About This Mac - More Info - General - System Report or just open System Settings - General - About - System Report.

It will take a while to get used this.

Oct 30, 2022 at 09:19 AM
LCPete
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mac Ventura is out

Iíve updated toVentura no issues with DXO photolab 5 or Affinity photo

Oct 30, 2022 at 01:13 PM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mac Ventura is out

Thanks for this report. Those are 2 of my main apps as well.

LCPete wrote:
Iíve updated toVentura no issues with DXO photolab 5 or Affinity photo

Oct 30, 2022 at 01:45 PM
eyal
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mac Ventura is out

For anyone who uses OWC products and their SoftRAID, just be aware that you must upgrade to SoftRAID 7 and it is recommended you do so before updating to Ventura

Oct 30, 2022 at 03:30 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mac Ventura is out

The OP (Zenon) was kind enough to satisfy my curiosity by supplying me with the camera list from his Ventura install Raw Support. I compared this list against my Monterey 12.6 list and would like to addend the list from my previous post (above) to show what changes have occurred...

Ventura Raw Support for cameras released since Monterey...

NO Not supported in Ventura,
YES New supported added in Ventura,
YES M&V Support had been added to Monterey via an undocumented MacOS update at some point and continues in Ventura.

Oct 26th - OM System OM-5 NO, Sony a7R V NO
Oct 13th - Sony ZV-1F NO

Sep 28th - Sony FX30 NO
Sep 8th - Fujifilm X-H2 NO
Sep 7th - Hasselblad X2D 100c NO

Jun 29th - Nikon Z30 NO

May 31st - Fujifilm X-H2S NO
May 24th - Canon EOS R7 YES M&V , Canon EOS R10 YES M&V

Feb 22nd - Panasonic Lumix DC-GH6 NO
Feb 15th - OM System OM-1 YES

Jan 19th - Canon EOS R5 C NO
Jan 13th - Leica M11 NO

Oct 28th - Nikon Z9 YES
Oct 21st - Sony a7 IV YES M&V
Oct 7th - Panasonic Lumix DC-BS1H NO

Sep 9th - Ricoh GR IIIx NO - Note: No Ricoh Camera RAW support in MacOS***This information incorrect, Ricoh GR, GRII, GR III RAW support found under Pentax Ricoh listing for M&V
Sep 2nd - Fujifilm GFX 50S II NO, Fujifilm X-T30 II NO

Jul 27th - Sony ZV-E10 NO

Jun 29th - Nikon Z fc YES M&V
Jun 9th - Olympus PEN E-P7 NO

May 25th - Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 II (most recent camera in Monterey)

Interesting to me is how Canon R7 and R10 along with the Sony a7 IV and along with the Nikon Z fc got to somehow see MacOS support added in between a major OS release. The only two recent cameras that are added in Ventura are the Olympus (OM System) OM-1 and the Nikon Z9. No native Ventura RAW love for Fuji, Hasselblad, Leica, Olympus, Ricoh, some Sony and my Panasonic GH6.

To opine, briefly...as a long time Mac user (since 1995) this information comes as a disappointment to see so many recent camera releases go wanting for native RAW support on a system I've come to know and rely-on. A far cry from just a few years ago when Apple would supply semi-regular Camera RAW updates for Aperture, iPhoto and Preview in-between OS releases.

As of this writing, Apple has yet to publish their own updated Ventura documentation to...

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212821

...my above reporting is based solely on the "in situ" reports generated by the OP's Ventura install and my Monterey install.

Some interesting addendum notes...

Cameras dropped in Ventura:

Canon EOS KISS X8
Canon EOS M6

FujiFilm X100F

Sony DSC-F828

Also, there was some poor housekeeping in Monterey as noted here with duplicate or misspelled camera model names...

Old: FujiFilm GFX 50S and GFX50S
New: Just Fujifilm GFX 50S (note space)

Old: 2 Entries for Leica D-LUX (note CAPS) 4, 5 along with D-Lux (no CAPS) 4, 5
New: now only 1 each D-Lux (no CAPS) 4, 5

Old: Leica V-LUX (CAPS) 4 Duplicate of Lux 4 (no CAPS)
New: only Lux 4

Old: Pentax K-3II and K-3 II
New: only K-3 II (note space)

...don't know if that caused any issues for users of those models.

Also, Apple has a complete list of all of their iPhone models and the various cameras for each, the following are additions in Ventura...

iPhone14,7 back:

iPhone14,7 back ultra-wide:

iPhone14,7 front:

iPhone14,8 back:

iPhone14,8 back ultra-wide:

iPhone14,8 front:

iPhone15,2 backtelephoto:

iPhone15,2 backultrawide:

iPhone15,2 backwide:

iPhone15,2 front:

iPhone15,3 backtelephoto:

iPhone15,3 backultrawide:

iPhone15,3 backwide:

iPhone15,3 front:

...they list zero non-Apple phone cameras.

Thanks again, Zenon, for letting me scratch that itch! Looks like I've got a new headache to add to my Aperture-replacement project...no native GH6 RAW support in Ventura. "Ouch" Apple, "Ouch" Panasonic.

Jimmy G

Edited on Nov 02, 2022 at 04:14 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2022 at 03:32 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mac Ventura is out

Thanks to all you early-adopters out there. I appreciate you continuing the beta testing.

Just curious, tho...what's in Ventura that makes updating so urgent?

Jack

Oct 31, 2022 at 07:07 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mac Ventura is out

jforkner wrote:
Thanks to all you early-adopters out there. I appreciate you continuing the beta testing.

Jack

Why not? I updated Monterey last year with no issues. A question. Why does Apple release a new OS every year?

Edited on Oct 31, 2022 at 09:28 AM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2022 at 07:49 AM
Ray Swindle
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mac Ventura is out

jforkner wrote:

Jack

I keep my electronic devices updated for the security Apple OS products provide. I generally have little use for new features since I don't live my life on electronic devices, but I do have information on them that could be subject to compromise.

Oct 31, 2022 at 08:11 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mac Ventura is out

Zenon Char wrote:
Why not? I updated Monterey last year with no issues. A question. Why does Apple release a new OS every year?

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't coming across as being facetious. I'm genuinely interested. I have read over the years not upgrade. Wait 6 months or so. Last year (and I think the year before) I updated right away. Adobe updates as do all developers in the fall. I view it as getting it over with and moving on but I don't have a lot of programs and fancy externals. A couple of plain ED's to store and back up my files and Time Machine. Also I got rid of all my 32 bit apps when Apple went 64.

Oct 31, 2022 at 09:29 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mac Ventura is out

jforkner wrote:

Jack

The perpetual beta-testing seems to be baked into the release cycles, I'm not sure that any OS versions are ever truly completed works...it's been that way as long as I can remember.

As for Ventura, I can't say that I was looking forward to any particular feature over Monterey beyond gaining native RAW support for the GH6...and we can see how that plan worked out!

Oct 31, 2022 at 04:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password