Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2022 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

kenwood
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

ebay, especially paypal, usually side with the buyer regardless of the situation
I only do face to face transaction on ebay and will never ship anything $$$

Oct 21, 2022 at 09:35 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

There is a “rules and guidelines“ at the very top of the buy and sell forum.

DaveFP wrote:
Any link to guidelines regarding selling on FM?

Oct 21, 2022 at 09:40 AM
Howie4life
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

Ebay is a great option, especially for buyers like myself in small markets. There are certain items that I struggle selling here on FM and have to turn to Ebay. With that said, I always try to sell here first and dread when I have to go to Ebay to sell big ticket items. I think I've been fortunate because I've only had two bad experiences in 20 years. Once a buyer just changed his mind and made up an excuse about the cameras battery life, which is fine. And early this year I bought a $5,000 camera that never got delivered. I was happy that Ebay gave me refund without a fight.

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:12 AM
jstrawman
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

DaveFP wrote:
Any link to guidelines regarding selling on FM?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/faqforum.php

See guidelines section.

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:36 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

Today I learned eBay is still up and running ...
I gave up on it many years ago, as they kept jacking up the fees .. greedy bas..rds .. ha ha

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:46 AM
JayPhoto1
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

Sorry to hear this. I agree, it’s been a long while since eBay has been considered safe for these transactions. FM is definitely the place for this type of equipment. I had a similar experience with “Gear Focus.” They actually closed my account after I shipped a product to a customer and locked me out of my funds. The product was tracked using UPS and delivered as promised but I was no longer able to use the system. Will only trust FM B&S when selling in the future.

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:58 AM
gunmetal
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

RoamingScott wrote:
Ebay is a terrible place for sellers and has been for the last decade. Literally any other option is better than Ebay.

That said, I buy with confidence from Ebay because of their hyper aggressive buyer protection.

Yep. That's why the vast majority of sellers are businesses with pretty big operations rather than individual sellers. It's also increasingly hard to find auctions. Most everything is Buy it Now.

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:58 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

That sucks! I always ship via USPS if I can. Been lucky in the past as a seller. Took a while to win, but it can happen.

Facebook marketplace is a great place to sell, but I have learned they won't allow shipping on certain higher dollar values. Plus it takes longer to get your funds (you get $$ like 4 days after the item has been delivered)

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:11 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

mudlake wrote:
That really stinks.

This is why when I sell a valuable lens here on FM, I put in my listing that only buyers with acceptable feedback will be considered. I just won’t take a chance on buyers who don’t have an FM presence with some feedback.

This is sound advice. However, people have to start somewhere to get feedback. I have been lucky with two new buyers here in the past. Just gotta do extra vetting to make sure they are real. But again the highest value item i sold to a new member (well with no feedback) has been like $1500.

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:13 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

Dustin Gent wrote:
That sucks! I always ship via USPS if I can. Been lucky in the past as a seller. Took a while to win, but it can happen.

Facebook marketplace is a great place to sell, but I have learned they won't allow shipping on certain higher dollar values. Plus it takes longer to get your funds (you get $$ like 4 days after the item has been delivered)

Off topic, but my experience with a high end laptop on FB Marketplace was horrendous. About 15 or 20 scammers trying to get the laptop but none willing to do a personal meetup at my local gym next to the police station.... Maybe for low value items or high value with a personal meetup at a safe location for buyer and seller, but never with a shipping situation. Never.

Maybe best idea to avoid this kind of scam, absent meeting with the seller, is to take the item to your local fedex or usps facility and let their CCTV's record you putting camera in the box, sealing it and giving it to the clerk. I don't know why this wouldn't work. I imagine most of these places are keeping their video for a week or two which should be sufficient for expedited shipping.

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:58 AM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

timgangloff wrote:
Off topic, but my experience with a high end laptop on FB Marketplace was horrendous. About 15 or 20 scammers trying to get the laptop but none willing to do a personal meetup at my local gym next to the police station.... Maybe for low value items or high value with a personal meetup at a safe location for buyer and seller, but never with a shipping situation. Never.

Maybe best idea to avoid this kind of scam, absent meeting with the seller, is to take the item to your local fedex or usps facility and let their CCTV's record
...Show more

Hmmmm. Not a bad idea. Could record with your own phone too.

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:59 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

What was the weight listed on shipping? Both the label and in the tracking.

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:18 PM
raminolta
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

Ebay and Paypal have similar buyer protection policies. If a buyer wants to scam a seller, they could do it as long as they are paid by Paypal whether they buy on Ebay or on FM or elsewhere. As a buyer, I was once scammed here on FM. I bought an expensive lens but the seller never shipped the lens and stopped answering my message. I got refunded through Paypal. That would be a lesson for me and every one else not to pay a seller through means that don't provide buyer protection. AFAIK, the seller's account get suspended on FM later.
That said, there is far less chance of getting scammed on FM than on Ebay simply because generally scammers don't know about FM or don't bother to come here for their scamming activities. Ebay is a big worldwide marketplace which has been around for decades and attracts lots of scammers. The feedback on FM also helps a lot to keep them away. The feedback on Ebay can also be helpful but sometimes people don't pay attention to the feedback or occasionally, someone's accounts gets hacked for fraudulent activities though the later happens rarely in recent years as online security measures have improved through the time.
Buyer protection policies are important otherwise, main population of buyers will quit buying online. I will never buy something expensive online (EBay, FM or anywhere else) unless I know I am covered. Unfortunately, this occasionally has drawbacks for honest sellers but as of now, there is no way to deter or neutralize scammers and defrauders on all fronts. If you have a better system than the current one, welcome to propose.

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:54 PM
NJPhotographer
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

timgangloff wrote:

Maybe best idea to avoid this kind of scam, absent meeting with the seller, is to take the item to your local fedex or usps facility and let their CCTV's record
...Show more

That idea seems unlikely to succeed. I'm not sure FedEx or USPS would let you browse through and copy their facility's video just because you asked.

Oct 21, 2022 at 02:04 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

raminolta wrote:
Ebay and Paypal have similar buyer protection policies. If a buyer wants to scam a seller, they could do it as long as they are paid by Paypal whether they buy on Ebay or on FM or elsewhere. As a buyer, I was once scammed here on FM. I bought an expensive lens but the seller never shipped the lens and stopped answering my message. I got refunded through Paypal. That would be a lesson for me and every one else not to pay a seller through means that don't provide buyer protection. AFAIK, the seller's account get suspended on
...Show more

I generally only buy here or from established camera stores. I generally sell here. The advantage of FM is that I can buy from and sell to people who have been on this site for years and years. Nobody is going to visit and participate on a site for years and years just to scam people after all that time. Sure it isn't totally secure but nothing is and I judge that people who have been on this site for a long time and regularly participate are not going to rip me off. So far that has been true and I fully expect it to be true in the future.

Oct 21, 2022 at 02:36 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

octo wrote:
^
The buyer had paid $6000 already so, after getting the money back, he essentially got an A1 for free, if we assume that he lied.

It would be nice if the buyer had recorded the whole process of getting the box and then opening it.

I'm not sure that the package can just disappear if UPS wants to steal something, for ex, if the item was already scanned by an employee and then assigned to someone else for delivery, then if the package disappears, that delivery man becomes the main suspect in case there's an investigation. However, if the content of the
...Show more

I actually experienced something similar here..bought a Canon R6 and received a pressure cooker! The seller had a high selling rating too so it was very confusing for sure.
Since that day on, whenever I buy something I make sure to open it all right away in my porch so that I have a security cam recording from the moment is delivered to when I open it, seamless, no cuts.
Selling though, I am not sure how to do it unless I record my self at UPS showing the item inside the box while I tape it and hand it over. Complicated for sure.

Oct 21, 2022 at 02:47 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

NJPhotographer wrote:
That idea seems unlikely to succeed. I'm not sure FedEx or USPS would let you browse through and copy their facility's video just because you asked.

If the seller tries to defraud you, Postal Inspectors can look at the tape for evidence of mail fraud. Yes, I doubt they would let a private citizen do it, but in the case of fraud and an insurance claim, it can be done. signed a former postal inspector...

Oct 21, 2022 at 03:11 PM
Betacamman
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

An overseas seller tried to defraud me on eBay a few years back. But the package took so long to get to me that it exceeded the promised date of delivery by enough that eBay gave me my money back.

So when the package finally arrived, I got a free bag of rice!

Oct 21, 2022 at 06:33 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

I will consider cash transactions in the lobby of my bank. Then the money goes right into the vault.

Oct 21, 2022 at 09:47 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · WARNING - do not sell your cameras or lenses on eBay!!!

I gave up on eBay a long time ago. I may buy from the site on low cost items. I just bought a golf shaft and that worked out fine but I won't sell there anymore. Seller has no rights anymore. I sell all Photo gear here and frankly you put a good price on it than it will sell quickly. Problem is people are too greedy and price stuff too high. Used is used folks.

Oct 22, 2022 at 07:22 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.