New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

I had the 135L for close to 20 years, and while I always considered it a good lens, it always got better one stop down and a lot better two stops down. Focus was always very snappy. When I added a GFX in the spring, I also added the Sigma 135 and all I can say is that it takes that focal length to a new level that one would not have expected. And as others have said and I concur, right from wide open and anywhere in the frame, and that's on the GFX sensor, plus the autofocus works great. Yeah, it's bigger and heavier for sure, but holy hell, what an amazing piece of glass.

Oct 21, 2022 at 01:20 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

I, too, am wondering whether the jiggle actually affected anything image wise? People often worry about things that have no impact (dust for example). Just buy another s/h if it does. There are plenty around. Still unbeatable value and quality. Nothing lasts for ever.

Oct 21, 2022 at 08:31 AM
iazybandit
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Typically, thats how Canon repairs goes. If the items has an end of life and there are no parts, it's no longer serviceable. Repair places may not be able to service unless they have donor lenses laying around that they can pull from.

Canon will usually do that for their own internal use but even that is hard if they don't have any donor lenses. I have a EF 85 1.2L focus grind and they couldn't find any donor motors. So I have a nice paperweight/display.

Oct 22, 2022 at 05:18 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

OK, I brought my 135L to Canon Canada for servicing and they have identified that it requires the following:

"FOCUSING ASS'Y, USM. The estimate has been adjusted to reflect full repair and part charges. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SUGGESTED REPLACEMENT MODEL IS CURRENTLY BACK-ORDERED. You may contact us for an alternate replacement model, wait for stock to arrive, or have the unit sent back to you."

So it appears at least my problem is still repairable, but they're waiting on the part. Similar happened with servicing to my 16-35/4L IS - it took 2-3 weeks due to waiting for parts.

Oct 24, 2022 at 02:14 PM
a_v_b

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Thanks for the responses. Sun Camera in Toronto is going to take a look at it. Hope it can be fixed! Iíll keep everyone posted. I really like the EF system and havenít bothered to look much into the mirrorless system yet.

Oct 28, 2022 at 11:10 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Well that is a very common lens so you should be able to find a different copy, or take the opportunity to look at the sigma version.

Oct 28, 2022 at 01:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

rscheffler wrote:
OK, I brought my 135L to Canon Canada for servicing and they have identified that it requires the following:

"FOCUSING ASS'Y, USM. The estimate has been adjusted to reflect full repair and part charges. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SUGGESTED REPLACEMENT MODEL IS CURRENTLY BACK-ORDERED. You may contact us for an alternate replacement model, wait for stock to arrive, or have the unit sent back to you."

So it appears at least my problem is still repairable, but they're waiting on the part. Similar happened with servicing to my 16-35/4L IS - it took 2-3 weeks due to waiting for parts.

I inquired with Canon Canada CPS about what they meant by the 'suggested replacement model is currently back-ordered' for my repair and it appeared they accidentally copy-pasted some of your repair details into the report for my lens. They're not offering to replace my lens and the 'focusing ass'y USM' required for my repair is not backordered. They explained indirectly that it was a typo for another 135L in for service where a required part is no longer available. And that due to this, the 135L has 'limited ability to be repaired.'

Oct 28, 2022 at 05:51 PM
NormQ

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

I sent a PM to the OP in case he/she is not watching this thread. For anyone interested there is a repair house in Ontario Canada called Sun Camera Service Ltd that repairs items Canon no longer services (at least they did the last time I used them). Whenever I or someone I know used them service, price and turnaround were all good. Estimates are also commonly done via email.

Nov 04, 2022 at 09:18 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

jwolfe wrote:
By a wobble are you talking about a slightly loose barrel? If that's the case, it just needs to be taken apart and tightened. Any competent independent shop can do that.

Hi @a_v_b

I've fixed barrel wobbles in three or four of my EF L-series lenses. Definitely both f/2.8 and f/4 versions of the 70-200, and probably the 132/2 L as well. All you have to do, is peel back (or slide off) the focus ring rubber grip, and then look for slightly loose screws. No digging around inside, it's all on the surface. The rubber grip peels off easily, if it's slightly warmed up. A few minutes in the sun should do (good thing it's not a black lens ). If that doesn't work, you could contact Sun Camera Service, in To.

Nov 08, 2022 at 05:49 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

NormQ wrote:
... Sun Camera Service Ltd ...

Scooped me by four days.

Nov 08, 2022 at 05:57 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

^ Actually by 11 days, but otherwise sound advice about hidden loose screws.

a_v_b wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Sun Camera in Toronto is going to take a look at it. Hope it can be fixed.

Nov 08, 2022 at 07:17 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Recently picked up my EF135L repair from Canon CPS. They replaced the USM focusing assembly and all seems well.

a_v_b wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Sun Camera in Toronto is going to take a look at it. Hope it can be fixed! Iíll keep everyone posted. I really like the EF system and havenít bothered to look much into the mirrorless system yet.

Any update whether Sun Camera was able to help you out? It would be good to know for future reference.

Nov 26, 2022 at 05:05 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password