New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Canon won't repair my 135L?!

a_v_b

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Posted this in dpreview forums but thought I'd spead the news and ask for advice here as well. Maybe this is a known issue I dunno.

Canon just got back to me and won't repair my beloved 135L with a slight wobble in the barrel. Are there other places that I can repair this? It is still sharp so I guess instead I can just keep using it with the wobble if it cannot be repaired.

Their recommendation is to buy a new 100L lol (I already have one). I thought this lens would be still able to be serviced, but I guess not. I wish they told me they didn't have the parts before asking me to send it out for service - I think it was CAD$85 or something to send.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Oh and PS) I'm located in Canada (NS).

PPS) So they won't service something that was discontinued in March 2021? Found the discontinued date here: https://www.canonrumors.com/recently-discontinued-ef-lenses/

Oct 20, 2022 at 12:57 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Pretty much the only thing you can do is buy a used copy of the 135L if you want it. The lens is a very old design, and my guess is they haven't been manufacturing new parts for some time, even before the official discontinuing.

If the weight isn't a turn-off, I'd also highly recommend the Sigma 135mm f/1.8L. It's notably larger and heavier, but it's also a little faster and is a fairly hefty step up optically. The Sigma is one of the top 3 lenses I've ever used on any mount.

Oct 20, 2022 at 01:10 PM
a_v_b

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Thanks for the response. Maybe I just need to move on...
The Sigma looks pricey as well so I'll try to keep shooting with the wobbly 135L till it dies...
Too bad - maybe I'm still living in the past when people used to talk about the holy trinity 35L/85L/135L all the time on these forums.

Oct 20, 2022 at 01:23 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Depending on your budget, don't be afraid of used lenses also. MPB has several 135Ls in stock, for about $700 US, and 3 Sigma 135mm in stock for around $1,000 US.

https://www.mpb.com/en-us/search?q=canon%20135mm

Oct 20, 2022 at 01:27 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

OP: there are still a few authorized canon repair centers in the US (non- Canon owned) that might carry spare parts and able to fix your lens. (might be more of an issue for you since you are in Canada)

I recall being mentioned here on FM...but the thread is buried...somewhere - maybe a key-word search or luckily someone else will chime in

yes, Canon discontinued a lot of lenses lately, as they have to make room (and money with) for RF lenses

edit: - found Midwest Camera Repair (but there are more for sure)

Oct 20, 2022 at 01:37 PM
prosumerhacks
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

You can check with Berrie to see if he can fix the lens for you.

Berrie Smith
xxxxx
(770) 312-0719

Oct 20, 2022 at 02:09 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Are you having any other problems or is it just a wobble? If there's no iq issues I'd just keep shooting.

There are non Canon repair shops although I'm not sure of what's available in Canada or how hard it would be to send it to USA repair place

Oct 20, 2022 at 02:11 PM
a_v_b

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Thanks so much for the more replies!
Jman13 I might wait till I see one used on B&H since they do a great job shipping to Canada never bought from mpb
Bacalhau thanks for the link to the repair centre - I have a 1DXIII so I was hoping to stay away from RF for a bit longer yet but they are finding other ways to make it harder to stay with EF
prosumerhacks thanks for the link, too, I might check it out looks like he's in GA so it'll cost money and confusion (customs?) to ship there and back from Canada which might make it easier to put money towards and excellent shape used one once it dies
AmbientMike yes just the wobble - correct - the IQ still excellent and AF great so I will use it till is dies

Oct 20, 2022 at 02:23 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Their used Zeiss Milvus 135/2 is about the same price as the Sigma 135/1.8 which makes it a better deal than the Sigma, at least on paper.

Jman13 wrote:
Depending on your budget, don't be afraid of used lenses also. MPB has several 135Ls in stock, for about $700 US, and 3 Sigma 135mm in stock for around $1,000 US.

https://www.mpb.com/en-us/search?q=canon%20135mm

Oct 20, 2022 at 02:52 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

bobbytan wrote:
Their used Zeiss Milvus 135/2 is about the same price as the Sigma 135/1.8 which makes it a better deal than the Sigma, at least on paper.

Manual focus though. Plus, the Sigma really is pretty special, from all the tests I've seen.

That said, I've no real dog in that hunt, since I'm still perfectly happy with my "ancient" 135L, which I can actually hand-hold, haha.

Oct 20, 2022 at 04:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

bobbytan wrote:

I'd have to see it to believe the Milvus is any better. Mainly because it's really hard to get any better than the Sigma, to be honest - it is absolutely razor sharp corner to corner, even on high resolution bodies, right from f/1.8, while also having gorgeous bokeh and a beautiful rendering. Not saying the Milvus is any slouch, but the presence of the Zeiss name doesn't automatically make it better (and I say this as someone who LOVES Zeiss lenses and they way they render).

Oct 20, 2022 at 05:31 PM
jwolfe
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

By a wobble are you talking about a slightly loose barrel? If that's the case, it just needs to be taken apart and tightened. Any competent independent shop can do that.

I would try Midstates Camera or Authorized Photo.

Oct 20, 2022 at 05:42 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

There is a $100 instant rebate on the Sigma:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898831-REG/Sigma_340_101_35mm_f_1_4_DG_HSM.html/specs

Jman13 wrote:
I'd have to see it to believe the Milvus is any better. Mainly because it's really hard to get any better than the Sigma, to be honest - it is absolutely razor sharp corner to corner, even on high resolution bodies, right from f/1.8, while also having gorgeous bokeh and a beautiful rendering. Not saying the Milvus is any slouch, but the presence of the Zeiss name doesn't automatically make it better (and I say this as someone who LOVES Zeiss lenses and they way they render).

Oct 20, 2022 at 06:00 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

bobbytan wrote:
There is a $100 instant rebate on the Sigma:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898831-REG/Sigma_340_101_35mm_f_1_4_DG_HSM.html/specs

That's the 35/1.4. Decent lens, but nothing special in this day and age.

I already own the 135/1.8, though.

Oct 20, 2022 at 06:04 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

I have owned Canon 135mm L for some time * but it was super limited lens with slow autofocus ...
My Nikon 70- 200 2.8 S destroy this lens in every situation... a little slower 2.8 but with IS I easily shoot photos in much slower shooter speed

I am sure Canon's 70-200 are also very good and much more usable lenses.
If I have to buy f/2 my choice would be Canon 85mm 1.2

Oct 20, 2022 at 07:40 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Oops sorry!

Jman13 wrote:
That's the 35/1.4. Decent lens, but nothing special in this day and age.

I already own the 135/1.8, though.

Oct 20, 2022 at 07:52 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

I absolutely love my sigma, and picked it up used from a forum member for around the same price as the 135L.

Oct 20, 2022 at 08:33 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

There are repair shops in Canada that may be able to repair it. Search them out.

Oct 20, 2022 at 08:41 PM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Sun Camera in North York is probably the best known one in Toronto:

http://suncameraservice.ca/home.html

I've had them repair a 70-200mm (USM motor) and recalibrate a 24-70mm. IIRC Canon Canada used to send equipment here to offset their own internal service department.

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:35 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon won't repair my 135L?!

Hmm... maybe I should take my 135L to Canon Canada and see what they say about it. It's acting up again (for the second or third time in ~15 years) where it won't AF when the camera is in vertical orientation and pointing slightly up or down (I have to check which). I think in the past they've always replaced the USM.

FWIW, Canon Japan lists the end of support date for the 135L as November 2026 (here).

a_v_b wrote:
I wish they told me they didn't have the parts before asking me to send it out for service - I think it was CAD$85 or something to send.

Are you not CPS? Canon Canada supplies a Purolator label for shipping repairs to them. Shipping is covered by Canon Canada for Platinum service level members and at a reduced rate for Gold.

Oct 20, 2022 at 11:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password