New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Pressed the Booger Hooker

anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

And yesterday decided to trade my Canon gear for OM-1, viz., for the camera body and the 12-100/4 PRO, former LN, latter EXC. Each of my sons has Oly gear, so we collectively decided itíd be a good Idea if there old man were using the same platform. We can spread the expense as to new gear acquisitions. Oh, FWIW, i did the transaction entirely through MPB because the $$$$ I got for my R6, 70-200/4, and 24-105/4 was within about $500 (total, including the payment they will give me for the difference) of what I paid for those items. Since Iíve owned that gear for about a year and half, maybe longer, pretty good deal, I figure. Should have the gear in a week. Iím looking forward to joining the MTF group for what Iím sure Iíll learn and, hopefully, contribute as well. My back and shoulders are sure as hell looking forward to lesser weight. Anthony

Oct 15, 2022 at 06:19 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

Hi Anthony, my gal and I made the switch from Canon 10/2019 and it was good for spouses learning together with a new system. It was a good switch for us. You and your sons will share tips and experiences together. Remember it is just a camera that works the same as all other cameras recording light. Just buttons, dials and menus are different.

If I can be of any help let me know. Patrick

Oct 15, 2022 at 08:52 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

anthonysemone wrote:
ím looking forward to joining the MTF group for what Iím sure Iíll learn and, hopefully, contribute as well. My back and shoulders are sure as hell looking forward to lesser weight.

Welcome to the club!

Recent back problems have given me the extra incentive I needed to sell my medium-format and full-frame gear and move back to m4/3 exclusively (for the near term, at least). It's a very enjoyable system to use.

Oct 15, 2022 at 09:00 AM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

I was about to send you a PM asking if you were only shooting M43 or if you were still carrying a FF kit as well.

molson wrote:
Welcome to the club!

Recent back problems have given me the extra incentive I needed to sell my medium-format and full-frame gear and move back to m4/3 exclusively (for the near term, at least). It's a very enjoyable system to use.

Oct 15, 2022 at 09:48 AM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

Welcome to club! I still have my FF system to shoot along with my OM-1 but I literally use the OM-1 90% of the time as itís just more fun.

Also Patrick here is a great resource as Iíve bugged the heck out of him with a million questions, which heís always been gracious enough to share what he knows.

anthonysemone wrote:
And yesterday decided to trade my Canon gear for OM-1, viz., for the camera body and the 12-100/4 PRO, former LN, latter EXC. Each of my sons has Oly gear, so we collectively decided itíd be a good Idea if there old man were using the same platform. We can spread the expense as to new gear acquisitions. Oh, FWIW, i did the transaction entirely through MPB because the $$$$ I got for my R6, 70-200/4, and 24-105/4 was within about $500 (total, including the payment they will give me for the difference) of what I paid for
...Show more

Oct 15, 2022 at 09:51 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

robert_in_ca wrote:
I was about to send you a PM asking if you were only shooting M43 or if you were still carrying a FF kit as well.

Wanna buy some Sony gear?

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:11 AM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

Lot's of similarity here. I've been FF for a good number of years. But my story was I have a friend back east that tried out a R5, Z9 and A1 sending them all back. He's a sports shooter and just didn't find them to meet his needs. Almost as a joke, I recommended he try out as a last resort, a OM-1. I'd been reading so much about it's competency in tracking fast moving subjects (most wildlife) and suggested he give it a try.

I had noted over the previous months (this was happening in June this year) I'd been having some issue dragging out my RF L lenses and slapping them on my gripped R5 for jaunts. it simply didn't encourage me to deal with all the weight. Purely by accident, I happened to visit the B&H site in June. I noted that the OM-1 back then was months on backorder for most folks. It showed the kit IN STOCK. I couldn't believe it. I immediately contacted my friend and said he'd better jump on it. He did ordering the kit 12-40 f2.8 Pro lens along with the 40-150 f2.8 Pro to start out his trials with.

He said "why don't you give it a try". I balked at that idea and just said, "well if it's still in stock the following morning I'll try it out". I was absolutely confident it would NOT be and I'd be off the hook. Well wouldn't you know it it was still in stock when I looked the following morning. I caved and said I was nearly sure I'd just try it and return it. I ordered the same combo he did to start out.

When it arrived I was far more impressed with both the body as well as the lenses then I'd expected to be, but was remaining steadfast it wasn't likely going to stay. I took it out and snapped some shots at HHHR mode to be fair to compare with my R5 and RF24-70 f2.8L lens. I came back in and brought both images on to my calibrated 38" screen. It smacked me in the face that the detail and color on the OM-1 was every bit the equal of the R5. The color on the OM-1 was actually bit more pleasing. I spent the next week trying to disprove all I'd seen, but all that ended up happening was the OM-1 hung right in there.

The difference in weight was so captivating I couldn't ignore it. The build quality and feel of the OM-1 and Pro lenses won me over quickly. I decided to off all my Canon gear, and in a week it was all sold off. It paid for adding a 8-25 f4 Pro, 100-400, 12-100 f4 Pro, 25 f1.2 Pro and Sigma 56 f1.4 DC to fill out my entire needs. I even added a Godox V350O for possible flash needs. What was especially nice is I didn't go into debt to fill out a complete competent system for my professional and play work. I no longer even pine over the other cameras out there knowing they may have some whizbang features of their own, but in the end the resulting image won't wow me for my purposes. And indeed my 2 reconstructed shoulders and bad back thank me daily for the move.

Oct 15, 2022 at 11:40 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

Colleagues, thank you all so much for the warm welcome Just got all the Canon gear boxed up. Looking back on some of my old pics from back in 2010 in Paris, some of the (to me) more memorable pics I took with Olympus gear. In fairness however can one ever take a bad picture in Paris? I'm excited to get the OM-1and to learn from what you all are doing to make the system work for you. Thank you all, again. Countdown begins Monday morning and my body will love it. Anthony

Oct 15, 2022 at 12:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

doady
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

For me, it was kinda different experience, E-M1 II and 12-100mm F4 being almost 3 times the size and weight of my previous 15-year-old Olympus point-and-shoot camera that I used since I was a teenager. Of course less need to carry a second lens or a tripod due to the versatility of 12-100mm F4 and constant max aperture and "Sync IS" was also a major part of the appeal. But I only realized recently that the Micro Four Thirds users I have interacted with online are much older than I am, and how many chose the system simply for physical health reasons.

I think it is cool to be able to use the same system as family because I only met someone else using an Olympus camera in real life for the first time ever last week. She was also older and using 12-100mm F4 and her husband mentioned her having a much bigger lens for birds, which is another common theme I see here. Wildlife is not my main focus, telephoto shooting still new to me, and I am not sure yet if I will get a proper telephoto lens, so that was not a factor for me. One of the most important things for me was actually the 4:3 aspect ratio, and something about the designs of Olympus cameras always appealed to me. I am sure people will find other reasons like that to use the system, because they want to, not just because they have to.

Oct 15, 2022 at 01:06 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

I by NO means "Had" to make a decision like I made. It simply called attention to the fact it was not essential to have a larger more bulky setup to get the kind of results I sought or needed. Before I thought I had to have that higher MP FF setup or it wasn't going to be what I wanted and needed in the end. I was simply glad to discover I was mistaken. Ease of use and lowered weight and bulk was simply a bonus, NOT an absolute necessity as mentioned. I happened to have a EP1, their first entry into their Mft realm back in 2011. I used it as a travel cam and while I had a FF Nikon at the time, noted even back then my vacation shots were astoundingly good in sharpness and color. They provided superb 13x19 prints. Several cameras later this OM-1 came out and while I had no real desire to move into any other camera beyond what I had, the R5, I simply had to play with one. That play date turned into a renewal of a love affair, which I did NOT expect. I'll just leave it at that.

Oct 15, 2022 at 01:25 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

Let me try this again. Some pics from Paris 2010 w/ E-P2. I know, OOF. and I love it in B&W w/ some grain tossed in for sure. "Sharpness is a bourgeoisie concept" said by some dude who knew his stuff. (My rationalization quote for lousy camera control).

© anthonysemone 2022

E-P2     0mm    f/0.0    1/400s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

© anthonysemone 2022

E-P2     0mm    f/0.0    1/250s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

© anthonysemone 2022

Oct 15, 2022 at 01:46 PM
OMDnext

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

Welcome to the club. Just switched from Canon to OM-1 myself about a month ago No regrets, loving the pics I am getting from the OM-1. Spent Thursday morning just walking in the woods shooting the 12-100. WOW
Enjoy your new Camera

Oct 15, 2022 at 06:43 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

A shot of my then-current camera bag, taken with my first mirrorless and first m4/3) camera, the Panasonic GF-1. The weight difference was not insignificant...

DMC-GF1    LUMIX G 20/F1.7 lens    20mm    f/2.5    1/30s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:22 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

Got sick of carrying the Canon kit. Sold off most of it and went Olympus in 2018. Still really like it. Fantastic lens selection, and very capable. Sensor never needs cleaning, IS is superb and smaller size and weight much better. Prefer 4:3 and increased depth of field 90% of the time. Don't see any e-shutter distortion issues either. Prices generally much better too. Have a few fast Canon lenses left, and will get a cheaper s/h Canon or Sony mirrorless body to go with them one day, when I can be bothered, just for a change and different look.

Oct 18, 2022 at 11:21 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pressed the Booger Hooker

I echo your experience, Robin.

Oct 18, 2022 at 01:50 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password