Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              9       10       end

Archive 2022 · Anyone else done buying gear??

jwolfe
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Anyone else done buying gear??

I’m not wrong. I can turn it on and off with one hand. If you’re talking about while you’re shooting only Nikon is a winner there.

Sony ergo is abysmal. Terrible menus, poor lens design (durability), horrid horrid horrid service. They are great cameras, until they break, which they do.

RoamingScott wrote:
All you had to do was say you were wrong

And Sony controls are worlds better than Canon to my hands. At least things are reachable and discernible at a touch.

Oct 23, 2022 at 11:30 PM
Kyyyyyy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Anyone else done buying gear??

Once I find a camera that reliably takes the photos I think I see (which may not match reality), I will be done.

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:54 AM
huddy
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Anyone else done buying gear??

I am not yet done @trenchmonkey, but that is mainly because I am still not yet 35 and expect all the electronic bodies/lenses will need replaced at some point. I generally am avoiding any further mirrorless wanderlust in Z mount except to swap my E mount Tamron 70-180 for the Nikon badged version to eliminate the need for an adapter. I would likely be tempted by a 28/1.8-2.8 that had Better performance than the current 28/2.8 if it wasn't too large, that is about it. They might lure me with a 105/1.8 or something like that in another 5-10 years too or maybe not.

In the world of film, I expect my M6TTL will function as a manual camera pretty much forever and if I swap my F3 for an F2, it should just be CLA'S every few years on my manual lenses/bodies for as long as Ilford/Kodak make B&W film or I am alive to shoot it.

I find 10 years as a good minimumvfor keeping the same body and only adding/subtracting lenses as shooting preferences dictate.

Oct 24, 2022 at 01:08 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Anyone else done buying gear??

Will, I also have purchased my last photographic gear short of perhaps some film.
All of my outlets have withered away, the club disbanded, the art center determined
photography was not art, my storage of photos no longer exists. I don't see the interest
there once was in photography in my community.
Douglas

Oct 24, 2022 at 06:51 AM
akul
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Anyone else done buying gear??

Well. I have not figured out what other lens I might consider to add. So that may be close to be done. On the other hand, there are bunch of gear I would like to add, like atmos recorder, continuous LED COB light, and the ever ephemeral Z6II ….. oh dear. I guess I am not done.

Luka

Oct 24, 2022 at 07:28 AM
Spectro
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Anyone else done buying gear??

Why do Nikon threads always turn into brand war battles? It gets tiring. I’m not done buying gear but I know it will be Nikon which I believe this gear thread is for. Maybe they should start a gear thread titled Mine’s better than yours…

Oct 24, 2022 at 08:02 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Anyone else done buying gear??

The coming death of all electronics is precisely why I invested in an FM3a, one of the last fully mechanical film cams made. Now, as long as Kodak keeps making film…

huddy wrote:
I am not yet done @trenchmonkey@@, but that is mainly because I am still not yet 35 and expect all the electronic bodies/lenses will need replaced at some point. I generally am avoiding any further mirrorless wanderlust in Z mount except to swap my E mount Tamron 70-180 for the Nikon badged version to eliminate the need for an adapter. I would likely be tempted by a 28/1.8-2.8 that had Better performance than the current 28/2.8 if it wasn't too large, that is about it. They might lure me with a 105/1.8 or something like that in another 5-10 years
...Show more

Edited on Oct 24, 2022 at 08:15 AM · View previous versions

Oct 24, 2022 at 08:04 AM
Spectro
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Anyone else done buying gear??

My Fm2n is still one of my favourite cameras. It still gets a couple rolls a year.

Oct 24, 2022 at 08:14 AM
kriskunisch
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Anyone else done buying gear??

Spectro wrote:
Why do Nikon threads always turn into brand war battles? It gets tiring.

Agreed. It accomplishes nothing,

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:12 AM
kriskunisch
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Anyone else done buying gear??

To the OP.

I'm still buying gear, but I never hoard/collect gear.

I own the following bodies:
- Nikon Z6
- Nikon D5

And lenses:
- 600mm f/4 G (basically glued to my D5)
- 50mm 1.8 S
- 58mm 1.4 G
- 35mm 1.4 G

and I have the following inbound:
- 24-70 2.8 S

The 58mm and 35mm G lenses were two of my most used and, now, hold a remarkable amount of sentiment. They still play a role in my photography and their rendering, Image Quality, separate themselves now more than ever to the more modern lenses on the market.

I use my 50mm 1.8 S more for an 'everyday' lens as I am more so a 50mm shooter and it is predictable performer. The 24-70 2.8 S was purchased to be my travel lens....and I can't think of a better compliment to the 50mm 1.8 S (when I want to carry a multiple lenses).

I think the only lenses that intrigues me are the upcoming Voigtlander 40mm f2 Z and the Nikon 14-30 f4 S (I just don't have an immediate need for a UWA...24mm is good enough for my needs).

Eventually I will replace the two bodies with either a Z9 or a Z6III (depending on the advancements).

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:22 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Anyone else done buying gear??

I would love to have a 300PF, a D6, and a wheeled junior stand at some point. I'm not yet in a position to increase revenue using those things, so they have to wait.

I do have GAS for a 28mm manual focus lens for the FM2.

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:01 PM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Anyone else done buying gear??

As long as Nikon continues introducing cameras and lenses that interest me, I'll continue buying. Being out in the field, making compositions, and printing all me bring me a lot of joy, and a new piece of excellent gear on occasion adds to my enjoyment also.

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:15 PM
huddy
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Anyone else done buying gear??

Oscarsmadness wrote:
I would love to have a 300PF, a D6, and a wheeled junior stand at some point. I'm not yet in a position to increase revenue using those things, so they have to wait.

I do have GAS for a 28mm manual focus lens for the FM2.

The 28 f/2.8 AI-S or 28 f/2 AI or AI-S are the bees knees. (Zeiss 28 ZF.2 distagon also if you prefer that!)

Oct 24, 2022 at 03:15 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Anyone else done buying gear??

Bought an X100V today. Guess that answers that question

Oct 24, 2022 at 03:23 PM
Max Power
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Anyone else done buying gear??

RoamingScott wrote:
Bought an X100V today. Guess that answers that question

Those have intrigued me, but I still have a couple Coolpix As around, so no real need.

I was on a drought since buying my Z6 4-ish years ago, so this spring I bought a Sigma 150-600C on sale at B&H for $900, realizing nobody will ever make a motorized version of the FTZ adapter for the lenses this replaces. That is my only gear purchase in the last 4 years. Stuff is pretty expensive these days and I just don't need anything that badly.

re on off switches....I really like my Df but the on/off switch is bad bad bad. No tab on it at all, just a knurled knob that is too close to other things.

Oct 24, 2022 at 03:54 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Anyone else done buying gear??

Max Power wrote:

Those have intrigued me, but I still have a couple Coolpix As around, so no real need.

I was on a drought since buying my Z6 4-ish years ago, so this spring I bought a Sigma 150-600C on sale at B&H for $900, realizing nobody will ever make a motorized version of the FTZ adapter for the lenses this replaces. That is my only gear purchase in the last 4 years. Stuff is pretty expensive these days and I just don't need anything that badly.

re on off switches....I really like my Df but the on/off switch is bad bad
...Show more

After shooting some small 35mm cameras, I have a deep itch for something actually carriable that can actually output with quality. The X100 line seems to be the smallest you can get with great IQ (assuming you don't want to pay Leica or Sony RX money).

Oct 24, 2022 at 03:57 PM
huddy
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Anyone else done buying gear??

RoamingScott wrote:
After shooting some small 35mm cameras, I have a deep itch for something actually carriable that can actually output with quality. The X100 line seems to be the smallest you can get with great IQ (assuming you don't want to pay Leica or Sony RX money).

I had an original X100 back in 2012. It was a fun camera to carry although a bit anemic wide open and at the ISO's I needed for a bit of shooting. AF was also a bit slow for chasing a quickly growing toddler. It was still fun to carry and I'd imagine either the f or V variant are improved from 10 years ago. It was SOOOOO easy to carry.

The Sony RX IQ was fantastic, the Sonnar 35/2 a dream, but the AF on the 1st version super useless for kids. It'd be neat if Sony ever made a mark iii that got AF speeds and such closer to the current mirrorless line but I don't expect this to happen.

RoamingScott wrote:
The coming death of all electronics is precisely why I invested in an FM3a, one of the last fully mechanical film cams made. Now, as long as Kodak keeps making film…

Yup, keep buying Kodak (and Ilford!). I do wonder what of the FM3a's or F2's will last longer...

douter wrote:
Will, I also have purchased my last photographic gear short of perhaps some film.
All of my outlets have withered away, the club disbanded, the art center determined
photography was not art, my storage of photos no longer exists. I don't see the interest
there once was in photography in my community.
Douglas

Douglas,
Are you taking any actions to stoke interest in younger generations (asking respectfully!) in the art and craft of photography (which frankly matters more than just the gear itself)? Certainly there are elements of the peak of photography gear and clubs/etc. that will likely fade, although I think it's silly that an art center thinks photography isn't art.

1. I make effort to let even my youngest children take pictures with my camera
  2. On trail hikes, I let them take 2-3 minutes to each carry the camera and take pictures when the trails aren't too rough.
  3. I talk about composition and the exposure triangle with the older ones and give them the chance to post-process their and my images to suit their style (they have almost no exposure to social media)
  4. I take time every so often to look at prints or digital photos with them.
  5. I let them handle the manual film cameras when they aren't loaded so as they get old enough to have good shooting discipline and vision, they will be ready to buy or be given rolls of film.
  6. We've started discussing photography assignments they could do if interested.
  7. Most importantly, not everything is photographed, and they've learned to enjoy being present with each other and nature around them so they see the world that is to be seen and enjoy the pleasure and ephermal nature of life.

We'll see where it goes, but so far, I have several children (but not all) that have a healthy interest in photography and many of the arts. So much of the decline in the arts in general is a lack of cultivation of what is true, beautiful, and good in the world.

Oct 24, 2022 at 06:00 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Anyone else done buying gear??

Spectro wrote:
Why do Nikon threads always turn into brand war battles? It gets tiring. I’m not done buying gear but I know it will be Nikon which I believe this gear thread is for. Maybe they should start a gear thread titled Mine’s better than yours…

How about a "My daddy can beat up your daddy" thread? My daddy has been dead for years and cn still beat your daddy.

Oct 24, 2022 at 06:24 PM
4G63
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Anyone else done buying gear??

After acquiring my first Leica (Q2) last December, I think my GAS just died lol.

Oct 24, 2022 at 08:49 PM
ReleaseDrive
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Anyone else done buying gear??

These days, I just buy what I like in terms of shooting experience and overall rendering. For me that comes down to D series Nikon lenses and Voigtlander M mount lenses.

Oct 24, 2022 at 08:51 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.