New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

A few weeks ago I made a post regarding a lengthy trip down to near New Orleans and back. I invited folks to comment on anything within the itinerary but in hindsight it might have come across as asking to eat the elephant all at once. So I am breaking it down into much more specific threads in hopes of getting a few/some replies to each.

In this thread I am asking for suggestions on things to see and do in and around Omaha, Nebraska. We will be leaving Winnipeg late April and arriving in Omaha late April/early May. I already know about the great zoo there and a fantastic eatery and bakery (Wheatfield's). I am interesting in both photographic POIs and non-photographic ones.

Thanks!

Oct 11, 2022 at 01:21 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

In my Cincinnati post Taperwing said “it might be helpful if you give an idea of how long you will be here, adults, or kids too, and typical things that might tickle your fancy.” A good point, so here is my reply, as it would be the same for every location I have posted inquiries about. I am hopeful the additional info will help those in the know with their replies:

“No kids; just my wife and I (in our early 60s). Have seen many churches, cathedrals, etc. in Europe so no interest in that kind of thing. Have seen a fair number of art galleries too. Could still be interested in those, but not really into "contemporary" art.

I love photographing wildlife but also enjoy landscapes and cityscapes. I also enjoy hiking. My wife is not overly into photography or hiking, but she is accepting of the former and lets me go solo on the latter (encourages it actually, lol).

My wife likes browsing the unique little shops but we avoid the UC ("Useless Crap") souvenir shops like the plague. We both enjoy experiencing little gems of restaurants; especially if they serve regional food (or good German food - my wife loooves schnitzel!). It has probably been 10 years since we made a one day stop in Omaha for the zoo and found Wheatfields Eatery and Bakery and we still talk about it to this day (and plan to go there at least once while in Omaha, it was that good).

The length of our stay in any place on our trip depends on what there is to see and do in that place. We are both retired so we don't have to stick to a fixed number of days for the trip. I doubt we would be more than two days though.”

Oct 12, 2022 at 02:05 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

If you like zoos, the Henrey Doorly is very nice. The SAC museum is a little out of town; Some nice displays of non-flying, interesting aircraft.

Oct 12, 2022 at 05:48 PM
James Farrell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

A National Wildlife Refuge that I have heard about before and have seen some documentary TV footage some time ago that I’ve wanted to visit for awhile but I don’t live in the area is Loess Bluff NWR which is along I-29 south of Omaha on the way to Kansas City, about 40 miles or so north of St. Joseph, MO. From what I read, at certain times of the year there are enormous amounts of waterfowl of various types there - either overwintering or migratory. Might be a good place for a visit that even the Mrs. might enjoy. More info at https://www.fws.gov/refuge/loess-bluffs/about-us

Oct 15, 2022 at 01:54 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

James, this looks really good. Lots of species. Wildlife drives and overlooks. Provided blinds. Not far of the I-29 so not out of our way.

Thanks for the heads up! This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for - the kind of thing that one doesn't know that they don't know and would be hard to find googling (until you know about it!).

Oct 15, 2022 at 03:28 PM
TSHADLEY34

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

Lots of fun places to shoot in Omaha and area..zoo, the UP railyards, Old Market downtown, SAC museum, Wildlife safari, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions. Unfortunately I think Wheatfields has went downhill since you were here last.. and it used to be one of our favorites too!

-tim

Oct 19, 2022 at 09:30 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

Thanks for the post tshadley34.

We were at the zoo 12 years ago or so and it was excellent. Sad to hear about Wheatfields. Did it change ownership?

From the limited photos I see from the Wildlife Safari Park, it doesn't look like it presents a lot of natural backgrounds but rather mostly photos with fences. Is that pretty accurate?

Thanks

Oct 21, 2022 at 09:01 PM
TSHADLEY34

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

I believe it was sold.. a couple of their locations closed as well. The one downtown and Papillion (south) both closed. We have stopped going to the One Pacific Place location as well as the service has really fallen off.

The outdoor safari does have some areas to get decent photos as well.

Oct 24, 2022 at 09:47 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

Bummer. Thanks for the update tshadley34.

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:19 AM
TSHADLEY34

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

May want to check out this website as well.

https://www.visitomaha.com/things-to-do/entertaining-neighborhoods/

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:25 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

TSHADLEY34 wrote:
May want to check out this website as well.

https://www.visitomaha.com/things-to-do/entertaining-neighborhoods/

I got a few good tidbits out of this link. Thanks!

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:52 PM
NebraskaTyler

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

If you are interested in wildlife, Loess Bluffs wildlife refuge is about 1.5 hours south. It can be a waterfowl bonanza, with many bald eagles (depending on the time of year). You are past the bald eagle prime, but I would still expect to see some.

If you have the ability to drive about 3 hours west, you’ll be right in time to see the largest collection of Sandhill cranes in the country (hundreds of thousands).

Feb 16, 2023 at 08:43 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

NebraskaTyler, Loess Bluffs does indeed look very interesting and I will spend some time there. I see that it is 7350 acres, so it's a pretty good size. As I am only going to have (the better) part of one day there, I would appreciate any tips you can give for best area(s) to go to.

Feb 17, 2023 at 09:55 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

Thunderstorms are likely. And they are likely to be quite photogenic!

Feb 18, 2023 at 04:26 PM
Nick80

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

Here are a few that we like to get around to.

https://www.omahazoo.com/
    https://www.lauritzengardens.org/
    http://www.wildlifesafaripark.com/
    https://www.sacmuseum.org/
    https://oldmarket.com/

Feb 28, 2023 at 10:37 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

Thanks to all for the various suggestions. Much appreciated!

Mar 01, 2023 at 11:56 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

For anybody looking at this in the future, I will just comment that Loess Bluff WMR was good but a) I think end of April is probably a bit late for this area and b) perhaps it was a dry year as there were lots of lower areas that looked like they should have water but had very little. Even so, I got some nice photos. I might be going that way again in a few years and if so I would probably do so a few weeks earlier.

May 25, 2023 at 10:26 AM
OmahaMav23

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Things to see and do in Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding area

For those looking in the future….
For sports look into the main convention center in downtown Omaha, Creighton university, university of Nebraska-Omaha, and pro volleyball supernovas. Soccer has Omaha Union teams and semi pro football include the Stockmen and Omaha Beef. There is always Nebraska Husker stuff in Lincoln about 45 min away. Ultimate frisbee is most popular at Seymour Smith park in midtown and Memorial park on 62nd and Dodge. Tennis can be located in public facilities Koch Tennis center. Hope this helps. Also the only legitimate photography shop here is Rockbrook camera. As far as most photogenic spots in general I’d look downtown (architectural and pedestrian bridge), the zoo and safari (animal) and the further west is the newer part of town growing. I’d stay away from the northeast quadrant of the city. Best wishes!

Jul 24, 2023 at 08:27 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.