Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Asheville/Boone/GSMNP or also add Sandstone Falls and Bobcock SP?

abhisheks77
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Asheville/Boone/GSMNP or also add Sandstone Falls and Bobcock SP?

Hello... I will be flying to Atlanta and visiting Great Smoky Mountains area from October 20. I will have 10 days. After staying couple of days in GSMNP area, I will move to Asheville and/Boone. On my last day I will fly out from Atlanta.
I am browsing other lot of places, what are interesting setups, sceneries and also if I can see some good colors. Along with GSMNP, Boone, Asheville I am seeing other interesting places New River Gorge National Park, Sandstone Falls and Bobcock SP. If I have to choose these as well, I will shorten my days of Boone/Asheville and visit them as well. I am reading and browsing, if driving these extra miles are worth? Some old post say, they are amazing and different than Blue Ridge Park area, while others say that staying in/around NC should be good enough to see lot of similar scenery.
If someone been to these places, would like to comment please?

Thanks

Oct 08, 2022 at 12:47 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Asheville/Boone/GSMNP or also add Sandstone Falls and Bobcock SP?

Hi,

I have not been to Great Smoky Mountain myself but by all accounts its' a beautiful place for foliage. Check the foliage status at the upper elevations because it can be quite different from the lower elevations. I am sorry I can't help with GSMNP.

As afar as southern WV is concerned, I wouldn't say I know much about it, I am still doing some research for my trip there around Oct 25. I have been there in fall only once. I think the best colors there will be around Oct 20-30. The New River Gorge Bridge is very pretty with the foliage in the background, the most popular view location is from the platform down from the visitor center, this time I will also try it from the Long Point Overlook but it's a 1.5 mile hike/walk one way. I will also try the Grandview Overlook for sunrise (not for the bridge). Last time I missed the Sandstone Falls because my car's GPS quit working for a while. This time I will try to go to Sandstone Falls again. I will bring a potable GPS with me this time. I won't rely on my phone for directions as signal can be spotty. Backcock State Park is well known for the iconic mill. It's really like an oil painting if the foliage colors cooperate. I would see the sunrise at the bridge or Granview Overlook early the morning, then head over to Backcock. The sun doesn't hit the mill until probably 9:00.

Good luck with you planning!

Oct 08, 2022 at 01:16 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Asheville/Boone/GSMNP or also add Sandstone Falls and Bobcock SP?

following this. We are moving from Salt Lake to Asheville next summer, and am starting to research places to photograph

Oct 09, 2022 at 06:12 PM
shopping

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Asheville/Boone/GSMNP or also add Sandstone Falls and Bobcock SP?

On the blue ridge the last few days... lower altitudes have great color right now, upper altitudes seem past peak but are still gorgeous. Boone to Ashville was quite cold with a canopy of dense clouds.

Safe travels.

Oct 18, 2022 at 06:12 PM
abhisheks77
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Asheville/Boone/GSMNP or also add Sandstone Falls and Bobcock SP?

shopping wrote:
On the blue ridge the last few days... lower altitudes have great color right now, upper altitudes seem past peak but are still gorgeous. Boone to Ashville was quite cold with a canopy of dense clouds.

Safe travels.

Thanks for update. Hope I can still get some colors next week.

Oct 18, 2022 at 06:18 PM
Taperwing
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Asheville/Boone/GSMNP or also add Sandstone Falls and Bobcock SP?

Don't know if you will see this in time, but Cataloochee Valley, in GSMNP, on the Ashville side, is worth the effort.

Ashville is quite the nice town, with plenty to do in the surrounding areas. You are absolutely in luck if you enjoy craft beer. On the extremely small end is Zebulon Ales in nearby Weaverville, NC. Only open on Fridays and Saturdays from 1-6pm. The guy that runs it likes to revive old and antique brew styles.

On the large end, but extremely well done in the eastern outpost of Sierra Nevada. I don't think I've ever seen more money poured into a brewery/restaurant/music complex. The nickname for their campus is Malt Disney World. Their dunkel with wild foraged spruce tips was crazy delicious. The evening we stopped all tables were booked out. However, the bar was a non-reservation area, and we were able to nab a seat in about an hour.

If you want to get away for a bit, jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and head north. Last time, we went up to Mt. Mitchell State Park, which is the highest point east of the Mississippi. DuPont State Forest to the south was nice. We also stopped at Market Tree winery, which was a surprisingly good experience.

Oct 21, 2022 at 08:07 AM
abhisheks77
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Asheville/Boone/GSMNP or also add Sandstone Falls and Bobcock SP?

Hi @Taperwing. I am at Boone currently and will move to Asheville tomorrow (Blue Ridge Parkway day). Most of the trees are already past peak in this area, being at high elevation. I have plan to go to Chimney Rock SP and while going to Bryson City, I will visit Cataloochee Valley.
Regarding craft beer, I will reach there on Sunday so may be out of luck. Thanks for your tips though.

Oct 22, 2022 at 06:00 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.