New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Help with first flash

imp96

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with first flash

Hello I am looking for a flash suggestion and any other relevant advice, since, I have never used a flash.

My use case is a fill flash for family photos outdoors where the lighting is poor; usually a backlight or strong direct side light. I am hoping a fill flash would help me in these situations to get better lighting on the face.

I was looking at Nikon flashes and I don't know which flash would be right for this use case. The only concern I can think of is flash power to size tradeoff. I need the flash to be powerful enough but not too bulky to carry. I also would probably want to use the flash with a diffuser if possible. Can I get a recommendation for which flash would work best in this case.

For reference, I am using Z7 and most of the shots would be at a winder angle to get the whole person in the frame rather than a portrait.

Oct 05, 2022 at 04:49 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with first flash

Something midrange like the SB-700 will serve nicely on both DSLR and MILC bodies. You can also buy that flash used off eBay, or even go for the old SB-800 which is more powerful and flexible. Nikon iTTL is an automated flash mode that includes support for daylight fill. You just point and shoot.

Oct 05, 2022 at 05:51 PM
imp96

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with first flash

Thanks for the suggestion. I see there is Sb910 up for sale and wondering how that would compare to SB700. I don't know if the extra power would be of any use for my use case.

Oct 05, 2022 at 06:05 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with first flash

Nikon flashes are good, but grossly overpriced. Now, it appears Nikon is getting out of the flash business. I have been using Yongnuo YN 685s for a few years now including Z6 and Z7 with only one problem. The battery doors break after a couple years. Ebay sells replacements for ~ 7 bucks a pair. I can buy 3 or 4 Yongnuos for the price of one Nikon flash.

Nikon partners with Nissin for flash.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/8162395393/nikon-partners-with-nissin-profoto-for-future-collaboration-on-speedlights-studio-lighting-gear

Oct 05, 2022 at 06:41 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with first flash

You should probably post on the Nikon board to see which flashes are compatible and get older one like recommended above. I like my old Canon 380EX (get a cord if needed to get the flash off camera.) It's excellent for TTL flash connected to the camera. I think it came out in 1994 or something, my 540EZ isn't even compatible with DSLR and is probably even older. Great manual flash, using it a lot lately. Nikon probably has similar older flashes available for next to nothing.

The 540EZ is as powerful as the latest AFAIK, except it zooms to 105mm instead of 200mm. Guide number measures flash power higher us more powerful. That flash at 50mm zooms 140 in feet, I believe. GN divided by feet gives f stop, although that's not 100% I suppose.

White jleenex attached using tape or rubber bands takes about a stop as a diffuser. Try to get a cord if needed to get it off camera, swivel and bounce allow bouncing off the ceiling in horizontal and vertical attached to camera. Feel free to ask more questions

Oct 05, 2022 at 09:18 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with first flash

imp96 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I see there is Sb910 up for sale and wondering how that would compare to SB700. I don't know if the extra power would be of any use for my use case.

The SB-910 is well regarded although big and higher cost. Versus SB-700, I doubt the increment in discharge energy will make any difference. I rarely use my big flashes (SB-800, SB-5000) at 100%. On-camera OEM flash tops out around 70Ws and fully overpowering sunlight requires something like the 600Ws offered by strobes.

Oct 06, 2022 at 03:11 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with first flash

I would agree with Rico recommendations for your first flash. Those selections will be the most compatible with Nikon cameras and are generally built very well. You can also find them used at companies such as B&H for good prices.

Regarding modifiers, there are several different styles. Keep the diffusion to a minimum because of the limited power of the flash, especially outdoors in daylight. Small diffusers from Rogue and others can soften the light a bit, but a double-diffused softbox will be pretty useless in daylight.

A good site for learning how to use on-camera flash has been David Hobby's Strobist webpage -
https://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Oct 06, 2022 at 06:45 AM
imp96

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with first flash

I have been looking around and Godex seem to be a frequent recommendation. They are also a lot cheaper than Nikon and should work with Z7. Any reason not to go this route.

I was thinking either TT686ii or V860ii or V1.

The power and size appear to be the same, just a matter of battery type used and round head. For an outdoor fill flash does the round head have any advantages? I also like the idea of the lithium battery for USB charging but concerned a little about the battery longevity especially for infrequent use.

Oct 06, 2022 at 11:43 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.