Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

wuxiekeji
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

I have a LowePro FastPak Pro BP AW III and love its design except for this strap breaking. This is the 2nd time this has happened with a LowePro FastPak, mid-trail, and carrying a very reasonable amount of stuff for hiking.

Anyone have any recommendations for a similarly designed backpack that doesn't have this problem?

Or a way to reinforce the existing strap if I buy a new one?

I love the design of this thing otherwise, with the top/bottom completely separated, and photography stuff kept separate from everything else.

Oct 03, 2022 at 01:08 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

Check out Shimoda bags, go to their website and watch videos on different bags

Oct 04, 2022 at 01:54 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

Not sure I'd classify that Lowepro as a "hiking" bag. Seems to be designed as travel luggage. If you need a proper hiking backpack you're better off buying one designed for that. Multiple broken straps may be an indication that those bags are not the correct size for your body and you're bearing too much load on the shoulder straps. Most of the weight should be supported on the waist belt. "Camera" backpacks rarely make good hiking packs since they generally lack sizing or torso fit adjustment options.

Get a properly sized backpack and pack your gear in separate padded "ICU" cubes or similar.

Oct 04, 2022 at 09:28 AM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

I've researched bags till my eyes bled. I bought several bags and returned them all. F-Stop Loka, Mindshift Gear 18 & 26L, Guru Gear 22L.

I'm now looking at 3 bags. Atlas Athlete. Think Tank Urban Access 15. And Shimoda Explore V2 30L. I like the looks of the Atlas. No ICU is a plus. The Think Tank has the upper part of the bag for storage. And Shimoda seems to be the most comfortable of all the bags according to those that own it. They all have load lifters.The Atlas is far more than I want to spend. But comfort to me is important regardless of price.

The plus for me with Atlas is the warehouse is in Phoenix, about a 2 hour drive from my house.

Also I don't have a lot of gear. One camera, 2 lenses for now. Plus some accessories.

Oct 04, 2022 at 10:57 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

Find a local luggage shop. They should be able to repair, reinforce, and even modify most types of bags.

EBH

Oct 04, 2022 at 11:16 AM
robertr316

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

+1 for what Jeff said.

My camera bags never see the trails. I'll use a proper backpack and put my gear in Domke protective wraps.

Oct 04, 2022 at 06:44 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

I have used shoe repair shops to make repairs or improvements to my LowePro bags. Buy the material for the repair and the shop has the heavy duty thread and machine to handle thick material.

The larger the bag the less likely LowePro or others are to provide a way to add a waist strap to help support the weight and to make it more difficult for a thief to grab it and run off.

Oct 06, 2022 at 04:06 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

Looking ahead to a trip which would involve air travel so the bag would likely be my primary carry-on and daily walk around, needing snacks, adaptable clothing, etc. I'm long waisted so a lot of camera bags are too short for the waist belt to be effective (and my waist is expansive so that's a problem, too.)

I've started looking at a couple of Tenba bags, the Fulton and DNA Dslrs, Both provide separate camera vs gear sections and they approach it differently and they have somewhat limited photo space but that's the point with them. The Fultons load camera gear from the back, with dividers, etc. The DNA has a lower front section with a gusseted access flap and a sized icu that will tilt forward and shouldn't fall out accidentally (I hope?). They also have a roll closure top section which provides for expandabilty.

However, I'm also not adverse to the idea of using a "real" backpack/daypack with an icu or wraps, etc. That may well provide better fit and comfort.

Oct 06, 2022 at 06:43 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl https://a.co/d/e0LgRre

If you are into DYI this will resolve your problem pretty quickly. If done right it should be a permanent fix... until some other stitch fails.

Like others I have gone through at least a dozen hiking oriented packs over the last 15 or so years. My current pack is a Shimoda Action X50. It is far from perfect but it does not suck at anything.I personally like the roll top that allows me to keep the bag very nice and compact most of the time, and expand to full size on the few occasions where I need the extra space. Much lighter than the F-stop equivalents. Will hurt your wallet like all other hiking oriented photo packs.

Oct 10, 2022 at 08:41 PM
Randyk

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

You should contact Lowepro to see if they would do a warranty replacement. Years ago, I had a backpack that had a defective seam. They asked for a photo for verification and sent a replacement backpack. Good luck!

Oct 20, 2022 at 06:27 PM
nhanzero

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

http://loweprospares.com, ask the folks here for the part you need?

Oct 20, 2022 at 08:31 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

wuxiekeji wrote:
I have a LowePro FastPak Pro BP AW III and love its design except for this strap breaking. This is the 2nd time this has happened with a LowePro FastPak, mid-trail, and carrying a very reasonable amount of stuff for hiking.

Anyone have any recommendations for a similarly designed backpack that doesn't have this problem?

Or a way to reinforce the existing strap if I buy a new one?

I love the design of this thing otherwise, with the top/bottom completely separated, and photography stuff kept separate from everything else.

I may have missed it, but did you contact Lowepro?

I've had a couple of Lowepro bags over the years that developed issues after heavy use. The first time I had a zipper in a curved area of a pack start to break down I decided to contact them and see if I could pay to have the. pack repaired.

They simply sent me a new one!

If you haven't contacted them, do!

Dan

Oct 22, 2022 at 07:28 PM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LowePro backpack strap broke -- seeking recommendation for alternative

jeffbuzz wrote:
Not sure I'd classify that Lowepro as a "hiking" bag. Seems to be designed as travel luggage. If you need a proper hiking backpack you're better off buying one designed for that. Multiple broken straps may be an indication that those bags are not the correct size for your body and you're bearing too much load on the shoulder straps. Most of the weight should be supported on the waist belt. "Camera" backpacks rarely make good hiking packs since they generally lack sizing or torso fit adjustment options.

Get a properly sized backpack and pack your gear in separate padded "ICU"
...Show more

Yeah, what he said!

Oct 24, 2022 at 07:55 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.