FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

amacal1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Hb8aa073210174406a2da7a772d12208ad.jpg

I have a smallrig L bracket and I seem to have lost the little flat sheetmetal screwdriver that is magnetically held in the base. It's really a convenient little thing. I'm bummed smallrig doesn't seem to sell a replacement. Has anyone bought something similar elsewhere? I see AliExpress has a Smallrig kit of some kind or another that includes this part, but it's still disappointing that they don't sell the flat screwdriver just on its own. I don't necessarily mind paying the $15-$20 for the kit, but if I was going to pay that much it would be nice to get a whole bunch more of them to account for future losses.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/2255800244048575.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Oct 01, 2022 at 05:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

i would try to contact smallrig direct if you'd want a small bunch.

i find it a rather large logic hole that they use Allen screw to hold that setup to a cage as they should have just made all the screws Allen like the rest of the makers, and the screwdriver is being held in place out in the open by a magnet no less.

i'd be looking for a small flat tip that goes on your keyring or somewhere else that is a bit more secure thats easy to get at.

i have multiple brackets that come allen wrenches that magnetically attach to the frame in a certain location. they are the first thing removed from the bracket in use.

Oct 01, 2022 at 06:06 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

Looks like a job for a Swiss army knife to me.

Oct 01, 2022 at 06:44 PM
Ltgk20
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

You can make one yourself with a washer and Dremel tool. Smallrig used to have one on their website and I'm confident they have them if you email them.

Oct 01, 2022 at 06:53 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

And if the above suggestions fail, go to a local machine shop and show and tell them what you need, that should be something they would be happy to make up for you!
I have the same bracket, let me see if I can just make one up for you off mine as a template!
Karl

Oct 01, 2022 at 09:38 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

sjms wrote:
i have multiple brackets that come allen wrenches that magnetically attach to the frame in a certain location. they are the first thing removed from the bracket in use.

Actually, as annoying as it would seem, the flat key screwdriver is actually pretty good. It stays pretty firmly in place and I'm a little surprised I lost it considering it's held out as long as it has.
---------------------------------------------

Karl Witt wrote:
And if the above suggestions fail, go to a local machine shop and show and tell them what you need, that should be something they would be happy to make up for you!
I have the same bracket, let me see if I can just make one up for you off mine as a template!
Karl

Thanks, I might have to do this considering how hard to acquire it is. If I get another one, I will definitely sketch out a dimensional drawing. I used to work in a machine shop that had a sheetmetal laser, so if this would have happened 2 years ago, I'd have 100 copies sitting on my desk and offering to send them out to others!

---------------------------------------------

As others have suggested, I think reaching out to Smallrig is my best bet here. Thanks, and I'm open to purchasing one if someone else ends up coming through with another source!

Oct 02, 2022 at 09:18 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

Actually, as annoying as it would seem, the flat key screwdriver is actually pretty good. It stays pretty firmly in place and I'm a little surprised I lost it considering it's held out as long as it has.

everyone has their opinion. one personally i would not agree with. if i had that bracket those slot screws would have been replaced immediately.

Oct 02, 2022 at 09:36 AM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

amacal1 wrote:

I'm not at all surprised. I find it strangely hard to get perfectly back in place -- straight and with the one side properly in the groove. Until you get a new one (hopefully Smallrig will come through) just carry a small coin on you at all times to adjust the L part!

I'm curious what you think of it overall. I recently bought one and it seems fine but also a bit of an imprecise to the base of the A1 with a few edges not quite flush while others are. Then again, at about a third the price of the RRS option I guess I can't complain

Oct 02, 2022 at 12:29 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

Karl Witt wrote:
Karl

You will have to find a 1 to 4 man shop as they will have to break into production, that isn’t happening. You must have a neighbor that has a table top grinder, grab it with vise grips and grind away!

Edited on Oct 02, 2022 at 08:39 PM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2022 at 12:31 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

My tool is held in place quite well; I cannot imagine it falling out on accident.

EBH

Oct 02, 2022 at 12:37 PM
jstrawman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

EB-1 wrote:
My tool is held in place quite well; I cannot imagine it falling out on accident.

EBH

I agree. Just one exampe of many options available if you search the Internet:

https://www.amazon.com/keychain-Multi-Tool-Stainless-Universal-Everyday/dp/B07KF9X4F3/ref=asc_df_B07KF9X4F3/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310828259700&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9412024578433759795&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017954&hvtargid=pla-618690584604&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=65583250281&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=310828259700&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9412024578433759795&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017954&hvtargid=pla-618690584604

Oct 02, 2022 at 03:04 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

Got this on Amazon.

Oct 08, 2022 at 08:58 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

wordfool wrote:
I'm curious what you think of it overall. I recently bought one and it seems fine but also a bit of an imprecise to the base of the A1 with a few edges not quite flush while others are. Then again, at about a third the price of the RRS option I guess I can't complain

I just picked up the version for the R5/R6. I needed something simple with an Arca groove for my tripod head. For the price, it's great, but there is a slight amount of flex, particularly the removable L part for verticals. I'm not yet sure if this detail will negatively affect any of my uses. On the positive side, the slight extension it adds to the height of the camera gives my pinky somewhere to sit.

Oct 08, 2022 at 11:43 PM
ChrisHA
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

Cool gadget…I like that it’s Int’l security friendly. Also, do a search for Craftsman 4 Way keychain screwdriver or knockoff. I always have them attached to my bags.

Oct 09, 2022 at 02:27 AM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

Use a small stamped key,,,, the kind you get with luggage,,briefcases,etc. Grind the tip square, and store it on your key-chain.

Oct 10, 2022 at 12:29 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

this is on my keyring:

i'll say it again, those two slot type screws need to be replaced with Allen head type. reducing the need for non standard nuts and bolts.

the people who designed that interesting L bracket already have Allen screws on it. talk about the lack of forethought and carry through in basic design.

but then had it been machined with a better design you wouldn't even need those screws to begin with.

DSC-RX100M5    9mm    f/1.8    1/125s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Oct 10, 2022 at 11:07 PM · View previous versions

Oct 10, 2022 at 04:24 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

sjms wrote:
this is on my keyring:

i'll say it again, those two slot type screws need to be replaced with Allen head type. reducing the need for non standard nuts and bolts.

the people who designed that interesting L bracket already have Allen screws on it. talk about the lack of forethought and carry through in basic design.

bur then had it been machined with a better design you wouldn't even need those screws to begin with.

Used the P38 in the Army when we still had c-rations prior to getting MRE's. Not something I want in my pocket

Oct 10, 2022 at 05:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

Been carrying one for a whole lot of years. A useful tool. And I wasn’t even in the army. Opened a lot of things with it.

i think your issue might have been more of an environmental thing and possibly what was in what you were opening. though not in the military i have had my share of its cuisine available from boxes to bags. not everything today is in a pull top can around the world. Available in a larger size too

Oct 10, 2022 at 06:00 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

Cannot fit in my pocket

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:31 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Magnetic Flat Screwdriver for L Bracket

sjms wrote:
Been carrying one for a whole lot of years. A useful tool. And I wasn’t even in the army. Opened a lot of things with it.

i think your issue might have been more of an environmental thing and possibly what was in what you were opening. though not in the military i have had my share of its cuisine available from boxes to bags. not everything today is in a pull top can around the world. Available in a larger size too

Nah, my issue is that blade can get stuck in the open position and dig into you. Still have mine from the military as well as a larger one I keep in my vehicle. It is a great tool.

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.