New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Techart TZM-02

pkmx

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Techart TZM-02

Shoten Kobo (distributor of Techart/Megadap adapters in Japan) posted an image of TZM-02 on their facebook:

It seems like Techart is updating their lineup of M-mount AF adapters with the new linear motor found in LM-EA9. Finger crossed that it will be much durable and faster without the protuding bottom. I own the original TZM-01 but the motor is really fragile (already sent for replacement once after 6 months of use).

Source

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:49 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Techart TZM-02

Before considering another Techart adapter, I have to see that they update their usb dock first.
It is a pain to update my E to Z and M to Z adapter that has the old USB dock that pretty much only work
with usb2 port. Everytime I need to update it, I need to look for my ancient laptop which probably will stop working any day now. Connecting the dock to my current computer with usb3 port, Techart software could not find the dock, very annoying.

Oct 01, 2022 at 06:00 AM
pkmx

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Techart TZM-02

Looking at the LM-EA9 I think it is still based on the USB dock with micro USB cable. Yuck.

I really hope they could just make add a USB-C port on the adapter itself just like the Fringer/Megadap adapters. They appear as a USB mass storage drive when connected, and you simply update the firmware by copying the file over and disconnect. It's simple, cross-platform and doesn't require you to work with their updater that doesn't work half of the time.

Oct 01, 2022 at 02:19 PM
pkmx

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Techart TZM-02

More photos of the adapter:

https://www.facebook.com/SHOTENKOBO/posts/pfbid02zGM4yYg7hbEyd1WN7pmDXJNEevTL4zsxkcYNo6yZbvppagHJmoKQqgapyvNNzNrpl

Nov 15, 2022 at 09:06 PM
fjablo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Techart TZM-02

pkmx wrote:
More photos of the adapter:

https://www.facebook.com/SHOTENKOBO/posts/pfbid02zGM4yYg7hbEyd1WN7pmDXJNEevTL4zsxkcYNo6yZbvppagHJmoKQqgapyvNNzNrpl

I think they should really add some kind of interface to the adapter to set the focal length. Like that dial on the TTartisan 6bit adapter maybe..

Nov 15, 2022 at 10:41 PM
pkmx

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Techart TZM-02

fjablo wrote:
I think they should really add some kind of interface to the adapter to set the focal length. Like that dial on the TTartisan 6bit adapter maybe..

Ideally it should have a 6-bit reader and a simple LED/button interface to select the focal length on the adapter. Although I don't know if there is still enough space left inside for that after fitting an autofocus motor and helicoid inside.

Nov 16, 2022 at 01:19 AM
pkmx

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Techart TZM-02

It looks like the adapter is now officially announced:

https://techartpro.com/?product=techart-pro-leica-m-nikon-z-autofocus-adapter-ver-ii-tzm02

Jan 09, 2023 at 03:15 PM
LarsHP
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Techart TZM-02

For reference, the original TZM-01 also works with face and eye detection.

Jan 14, 2023 at 05:48 AM
pkmx

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Techart TZM-02

I got the adapter from my local store today, some quick testing and observation on my Z6II:

- Build quality is far better than the first version. The mounts on my copy have very tight fits on both sides whereas my TZM-01 had slight wobble on the lens mount.
- The lens caps now have a little lock on them.
- Z9/vertical grip/tripod friendly: no more protuding block at the bottom!
- AF is definitely snapper and quieter with much less hunting compared to TZM-01.
- Both AF-S/AF-C with single-point/dynamic/wide area work as usual. AF-S with pinpoint size does not work.
- I have not tested AF in video modes and focus bracketing yet.
- Focal length setting for IBIS works: mounting a Canon nFD 50/1.4 lens and intentionally setting the adapter to f/1 (135mm) produces tons of camera shake.
- With my VM 40/1.2 the adapter can focus anywhere in the middle 2x2 boxes of the in-camera 4x4 grid, whereas it can focus all the way to the edge with my Canon nFD 50/1.4.

- Focal length is still set by aperture. It's unfortunte we don't have dials like the TTArtisans 6-bit adapters. The mapping as printed on their manual now:

f/1.0 - 135mm
f/1.1 - 90mm
f/1.2 - 85mm
f/1.4 - 75mm
f/1.6 - 55mm
f/1.8 - 50mm
f/2.0 - 40mm
f/2.2 - 35mm (says 30mm on the manual)
f/2.5 - 28mm
f/2.8 - 25mm
f/3.2 - 24mm
f/3.5 - 21mm
f/4.0 - 20mm/300mm
f/4.5 - 18mm/200mm
f/5.0 - 16mm/180mm
f/5.6 - 12mm/150mm
f/6.3 + shutter button - Set adapter to retain position after poweroff
f/7.0 + shutter button - Set adapter to infinity position after poweroff
f/8.0 + shutter button - Switch between the set of focal lengths for apertures f/4-f5.6.

The manual has a typo that maps f/2.2 to 30mm but acutal testing shows that it is recorded as 35mm. I mean it would have been very strange if they removed the rather popular 35mm settings. I think the TZM-01 have 15mm on the f/5.6 and doesn't have dual banks of focal lengths between f/4-5.6, so the new adapter can cover lenses from 12mm to 300mm now.

I will update my findings after more testing in the field.

Jan 17, 2023 at 09:21 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Techart TZM-02

Thank you for the initial report!

Jan 17, 2023 at 08:09 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Techart TZM-02

pkmx wrote:
I got the adapter from my local store today, some quick testing and observation on my Z6II:

- Build quality is far better than the first version. The mounts on my copy have very tight fits on both sides whereas my TZM-01 had slight wobble on the lens mount.
- The lens caps now have a little lock on them.
- Z9/vertical grip/tripod friendly: no more protuding block at the bottom!
- AF is definitely snapper and quieter with much less hunting compared to TZM-01.
- Both AF-S/AF-C with single-point/dynamic/wide area work as usual. AF-S with pinpoint size does not work.
- I have not tested
...Show more

Does it use the same USB adapter as previous Techart adapter?
If you connect it to USB3 port on a computer, does the computer has any problem recognizing the adapter?
On older version, I pretty much needs computer with USB-2 port like my old laptop to update any firmware
as connecting it to USB-3 port usually does not work. I pretty much decided to give up on Techart
and won't buy anything from them again until they resolve this issue.

Jan 17, 2023 at 09:58 PM
pkmx

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Techart TZM-02

The adapter seems to have some difficulty recovering from really out of focus shots. For example, if you focus on a white wall, the adapter would extend and get confused because everything turns into a blur. Now if you try to focus on something else, the adapter would appear “frozen”. Normally with native lenses, the focus unit would rack back and forth in an attempt to find something to focus on, but that is not the case with the TZM-02. To make the adapter work again you have to find something with really strong contrast or a subject near the focal plane. This is a huge departure from the usual behavior and sometimes made me wonder if the adapter is broken. This appears a lot more often with AF-S and smaller AF boxes and less with AF-C and Wide-L. I suppose with the latter setting it is easier to catch something with enough contrast inside the box to make the adapter recover.

The AF is definitely faster and more accurate with less hesitation compared to the 1st generation, so in good lights and subjects with lots of contrasts it does work very well. This one was taken with the VM40/1.2:

DSC_1319 by Chih-Mao Chen, on Flickr

suteetat wrote:
Does it use the same USB adapter as previous Techart adapter?
If you connect it to USB3 port on a computer, does the computer has any problem recognizing the adapter?
On older version, I pretty much needs computer with USB-2 port like my old laptop to update any firmware
as connecting it to USB-3 port usually does not work. I pretty much decided to give up on Techart
and won't buy anything from them again until they resolve this issue.

I can't get it to recognize the USB dock on any of my laptop's USB3 port, so I guess it is still the case. Firmware update is always a huge hassle with all Techart products and I don't get why they don't just use a simple file copy method like Megadap or Fringer. The USB dock is also still using a micro-USB port instead of USB-C like it should in 2023.

Jan 19, 2023 at 03:37 PM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Techart TZM-02

Thanks for all your reporting on the new adapter! I’d be super interested to hear how it works with focus stacking (aka focus shift) as Nikon Z offers this while Sony E doesn’t so it’s a new potential feature to explore. More interesting still in that Nikon’s smallest shift setting is actually still a bit too large a step size for a high resolution sensor, so the adapter lying about the aperture setting might trick the camera into using a smaller step size for the actual aperture being used.

Jan 19, 2023 at 06:31 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Techart TZM-02

pkmx wrote:
I can't get it to recognize the USB dock on any of my laptop's USB3 port, so I guess it is still the case. Firmware update is always a huge hassle with all Techart products and I don't get why they don't just use a simple file copy method like Megadap or Fringer. The USB dock is also still using a micro-USB port instead of USB-C like it should in 2023.

If I remember correctly, on original Techart M to E adapter, you can update firmware using blutooth and iphone or android phone if I remember correctly. Since they moved to this lame USB port, it is a major pain. I don't think that I would buy another product from them.
Very disappointed.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:50 PM
Wazza007

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Techart TZM-02

I have a TZM-02 adapter. I use it with a TTArtisan 50mm f0.95 lens on a Nikon Z6 ii. I have updated the firmware. When it focuses, it constantly hunts for focus. I have tried reducing the lens aperture to f2.0, makes no difference.
Has anyone experienced this problem and what can be done to stop it from happening?

Feb 15, 2023 at 07:38 AM
azenis
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Techart TZM-02

Wazza007 wrote:
I have a TZM-02 adapter. I use it with a TTArtisan 50mm f0.95 lens on a Nikon Z6 ii. I have updated the firmware. When it focuses, it constantly hunts for focus. I have tried reducing the lens aperture to f2.0, makes no difference.
Has anyone experienced this problem and what can be done to stop it from happening?

Focus mode? Lens focus set dead at infinity? Some more info would help to troubleshoot

Feb 16, 2023 at 09:55 PM
Wazza007

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Techart TZM-02

I sorted it out. I set the camera aperture to the required f1.8 and now the focus works. After initial set-up I set the camera to f8, miss read the instruction.
With the camera set to the correct f number, it is a little slow and sometimes micro-hunts for focus when the lens is set to f0.95. This micro-hunting disappears when the lens is set to f1.4.
All in all, I am happy with the images I am getting

Feb 17, 2023 at 04:56 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.