Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Shortage of talents and skillful sport photographers?

TooManyShots
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shortage of talents and skillful sport photographers?

At least in my market, shooting non-ball sports (USAC races, triathlons, duathlons, MTB races, gravel racing, and trail runs) in NJ and NYC. About to branch off to PA... Anyone feeling this way and having coverage problems?

Sep 30, 2022 at 05:43 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shortage of talents and skillful sport photographers?

Seems a bit odd considering the size of the greater NYC area.

Oct 08, 2022 at 01:22 PM
SFIND

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shortage of talents and skillful sport photographers?

schlotz wrote:

That does make it more surprising.

But considering those sports are not popular spectator sports, it's less surprising. Not many people shooting for free since less are interested im the sport. Probably not most pro's first choice for a gig, if they can find a paying gig in another sport.

Some photographers have found a niche in my region shooting cross country for various websites. I say good for them, because last thing I want to do after working until 3 a.m. on a football Friday is to be up, out and shooting a cross country meet at 9 a.m. Saturday morning. (And as far as my newspaper goes, regular-season XC doesn't draw us eyes at all, so we don't even bother covering until postseason).

Oct 08, 2022 at 09:34 PM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shortage of talents and skillful sport photographers?

When I am asked to shoot an event and I have a conflict, I am often asked "who would you recommend." I often struggle to find someone competent in my area. My "go to" in those cases is the MaxPrep list of photographers posted on their website. I just point the prospective customers in that direction. They are vetted by the company and they are always going to have a base level of skill and knowledge.

My son runs high school XC so I like shooting that sport -- but I don't do the large-scale "get pictures of all the athletes" running gigs. And there are a lot of those. More power to those who enjoy and profit from that. It's a big market

Oct 10, 2022 at 08:49 AM
guitardirky
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shortage of talents and skillful sport photographers?

not likely for a lack of shooters but rate and timing against other events do tend to have a very big say in who's available.

Oct 11, 2022 at 11:06 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shortage of talents and skillful sport photographers?

schlotz wrote:

Finally checked back on this thread....yes..there are many big events like NYC Triathlon or the Brooklyn Marathon or this coming up NYC Marathon 11/6. They actually source out the race photography coverage to a company called MarathonFoto. Not Photo but Foto..hehehe... Those mass photo production company spitting out cookie cutter snap shots charging $24 for a slightly worst than Iphone photo.

My market is too niche and does not often have the enough exposure to get photographers interested in shooting.

Did a bit of research and Marathonfoto is paying $20 to $25 an hour for their race photographers...hehehehehe....

Oct 13, 2022 at 09:45 PM
abeese

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shortage of talents and skillful sport photographers?

Nov 23, 2022 at 06:18 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.