New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2022 · Lots of Leica for sale?

patotts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lots of Leica for sale?

Is it just me, but isn't there more Leica gear for sale than usual and perhaps sitting unsold for longer?

Are people selling ahead of a global recession? Less interest in manual focus Leica gear after several years of stronger demand?

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:15 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lots of Leica for sale?

If it was a recession thing, you'd be seeing sell offs with all gear, not just Leica.
There maybe some more 10r models for sale as people are looking to move up to the 11. But everything else seems normal.
Gear sits because of how it is priced! If it doesn't sell, it's priced too high..

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:12 PM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lots of Leica for sale?

patotts wrote:
Is it just me, but isn't there more Leica gear for sale than usual and perhaps sitting unsold for longer?

Are people selling ahead of a global recession? Less interest in manual focus Leica gear after several years of stronger demand?

No, I don't think it's just you....I think people are selling their FLE's and 50/1.4 ASPH's in anticipation of the newer models. I also think the SL lens market has sunk maybe 25-35% due to people dumping the mount because of WAY slow roll-out of anticipated FL's and some other quirks.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:48 PM
summmers
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lots of Leica for sale?

people who paid 3k for a 30 yo m6 instantly regretting it

Sep 27, 2022 at 03:25 PM
weatherproof

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lots of Leica for sale?

Still not enough to drive down the price of an M10 to affordable territory for me.

Sep 27, 2022 at 03:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lots of Leica for sale?

Desmolicious wrote:
If it was a recession thing, you'd be seeing sell offs with all gear, not just Leica.
There maybe some more 10r models for sale as people are looking to move up to the 11. But everything else seems normal.
Gear sits because of how it is priced! If it doesn't sell, it's priced too high..

I see more M11 than M10-R bodies for sale! I was one of them. Tried it and didn't like it. Went back to the M10-R.

Sep 27, 2022 at 04:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lots of Leica for sale?

summmers wrote:

What is the current price for a mint M6 right now? I still think it's around $3k but I'm not following it closely.

Sep 27, 2022 at 04:01 PM
summmers
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lots of Leica for sale?

nice condition around 2k
mint maybe 3

people were buying beaters for 3k beginning of the year. mostly kids who had never shot film before

Fred Miranda wrote:
What is the current price for a mint M6 right now? I still think it's around $3k but I'm not following it closely.

Sep 27, 2022 at 04:11 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lots of Leica for sale?

summmers wrote:

lol. I mean I can see jumping on the trendy bandwagon if the camera was maybe $100. Like a really nice Oly Trip 35. Because, well, it's 'only' $100.
But so many people had to get an M6, had no idea what they were getting into and/or the commitment needed to get good results with any rangefinder camera. And saw they were getting much better pics with a $30 Nikon F75 (sweet camera by the way).
This is coming from a multiple Leica user!

Sep 27, 2022 at 05:28 PM
wdshuck
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lots of Leica for sale?

What did you like better about the M10R?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I see from M11 than M10-R bodies for sale! I was one of them. Tried it and didn't like it. Went back to the M10-R.

Sep 27, 2022 at 05:42 PM
summmers
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lots of Leica for sale?

Desmolicious wrote:
lol. I mean I can see jumping on the trendy bandwagon if the camera was maybe $100. Like a really nice Oly Trip 35. Because, well, it's 'only' $100.
But so many people had to get an M6, had no idea what they were getting into and/or the commitment needed to get good results with any rangefinder camera. And saw they were getting much better pics with a $30 Nikon F75 (sweet camera by the way).
This is coming from a multiple Leica user!

money printer was going brrr

Sep 27, 2022 at 06:07 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lots of Leica for sale?

wdshuck wrote:
What did you like better about the M10R?

Color output, shutter noise/behavior and better stability in firmware. To a lesser degree, I prefer the old battery/SD plate style and integrated GPS in the Visoflex 020.

Sep 27, 2022 at 06:20 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lots of Leica for sale?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Color output, shutter noise/behavior and better stability in firmware. To a lesser degree, I prefer the old battery/SD plate style and integrated GPS in the Visoflex 020.

I'm relying on this recommendation to keep my M10-R resale value from totally dropping through the floor

Sep 27, 2022 at 06:25 PM
wdshuck
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lots of Leica for sale?

Thanks! Helpful as someone who has been tempted by UK priced M11s

Fred Miranda wrote:

Sep 27, 2022 at 06:31 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lots of Leica for sale?

While I haven't followed closely, my impression has been that there has always been a fairly abundant amount of Leica gear for sale. I'm sure there are many reasons. One would certainly be people flipping/reselling with the intent to make a profit.

I suspect a challenge now for such sellers and all sellers in general, is the desire to recoup as much as possible based on US market MSRP, yet buyers could alternatively go with new for similar, or not much more, from the EU. If I was looking for used, I'd want to pay at most about 75% of what I could buy new from the EU.

Sep 27, 2022 at 08:39 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lots of Leica for sale?

Fred Miranda wrote:

This is exactly the thing that has stopped me from upgrading to the M11. The M10-P is a mature, fun to use camera, that I have a good collection of accessories for. Additionally, I have loved working with the M10-P files. They are so natural to process. I I never enjoyed working with the Sony A7RIV files for a number of reasons. I have read that this the same base sensor in the M11.

I fear I would upgrade then regret it for all the above reasons. I have absolutely no need of 60 mpx files and all the associated difficulties in shooting that sensor, processing and storing those files. I don't want to spend the money, and then have to switch back to one of the M10 cameras like Fred and some others I know have done.

The M10 series seems to me to be about the perfect rangefinder cameras.

Edited on Sep 28, 2022 at 01:35 AM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:23 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lots of Leica for sale?

I bought the 10r because I have no interest in the 11. And I would have been really happy w a 10p if I didn't get the deal I did on the r!
But even now I wonder if I should have just kept my M240. It was bullet proof with a huge battery life, and I never had issues with 24mp. I do really like the ISO dial on the 10 though..

Sep 28, 2022 at 12:11 AM
cary.z

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lots of Leica for sale?

Seeing a lot of Leica gear… except for M10-D’s :’)

Sep 28, 2022 at 01:39 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lots of Leica for sale?

My impression is that the majority of current Leica camera gear is used - not referring to collectibles! - by a bit older photographers. This generation of photographers faces now rising health and living costs, too. I can see that many Leica cameras are therefore either sold or given to children/nephews/nieces who also don't want to keep the gear and sell it instead.

IMO Leica Camera faces a generation problem that younger photographers shine away using either cameras at all anymore (--> cellphones) or go for something more affordable from other brands. I am not saying that there are no younger ones getting hooked with Leica Camera gear but this is likely a minority regarding the market - much smaller amount than people who went with Leica decades ago (when it was still expensive but not at a level of pricing where it is now). Maybe the higher Leica prices for new gear are also an indication that less pieces are sold in general - to make up for the difference when more gear was bought in the past.

Sep 28, 2022 at 06:47 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lots of Leica for sale?

Several months ago, I searched on the evil bay for Leica M10-P, and got very few results, all priced relatively high. A more-recent search showed that MAP Camera, in Japan, had several pre-owned M10-P cameras available. So, some number of owners, in Japan, are selling-off their M10-P cameras. The more-recent search also showed a very few M10-P camera, posted for sale by USA sellers.

The “evil bay” (eBay) is a useful tool, to follow pricing trends, even if one never buys through them. One can Watch-List a Buy-It-Now item, to see if it sells. If it sits, unsold, for months, that is an indication of being over-priced. If an auction item gets no bids, that is an indication of being over-priced.

“Completed Auctions” are an indicator of what bidders are willing to actually pay. Notably, high-end jewelry stores, that buy and sell pre-owned watches, use eBay’s Completed Auctions as a pricing guide. I learned this, while working a security gig, at a watch/jewelry store, in Houston, Texas.

I have not been following the lenses, as much, because I reached a saturation point earlier this year. Notably, however, do have a Saved Search for the Black Chrome E43 Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, and, in recent days, two pre-owned samples suddenly appeared, for sale, on the same day, which was noticeable for its rarity. One can wonder if the rumor of the closer-focusing Summilux have prompted these listings. (It is not that I am ready to buy this lens, at this time.)

Edited on Sep 28, 2022 at 09:46 AM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2022 at 07:36 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.