Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2022 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

nikonmedic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

Ouch, even E class lenses?! Aren't they just released a couple of years ago?

elkhornsun wrote:
I had to have the motors replaced on my 70-200mm f/2.8E and my 600mm f/4E lenses. Clearly a defect with the motors and why I had to wait 4 months for NIkon to have a replacement in stock to repair my 600mm f/4 lens.

I have zero confidence in the reliability of my Nikon telephoto lenses and neither does Nikon as they no longer honor the 5-year warranty on covered lenses as I found out with the 600mm lens or on any lenses sold today.

Oct 03, 2022 at 06:11 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

reliable sources?

Oct 03, 2022 at 06:21 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

I've read most posts in this thread.

I shoot the 200-500, 80-400 AFS, 500PF and 24-120

I've never had a nikon lens motor squeak or fail.

I've never had a problem with VR

I leave VR on "Sports" or "Active" 100% of the time. VR is shut off only by the camera being shut off.

Oct 03, 2022 at 09:29 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

Ripolini wrote:
Again

If Nikon service advised you about lubrication of SWM motors, then change service:

I never said anywhere that SWM motors are lubricated. I stated:
"The lenses need to be used regularly in order to keep the parts lubricated"
and:
"It doesn't become worn (per se), its that the lubrication gets a little dry and doesn't get to the parts that need it. By using the lens reasonably frequently, parts get the required lubrication in order to have less issues."

I just re-asked Nikon service the question in response to this thread and they advise that they *do* use grease on the gears etc. They still advise to use your AF lenses on a regular basis so as all moving parts that require lubrication are kept lubricated. There may be other issues also arising from not using the AF lenses enough not related to parts being lubricated but they didn't go into that and I didn't ask.

I would take my Nikon Service advice over anyone on the internet telling me otherwise.

Oct 05, 2022 at 03:15 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

I believe there are no gears in the focusing mechanism of ring-type SWM lenses which are the ones used by all of the lenses mentioned in the OP and the ones (in some cases) reported to fail (typically at quite old age, but not always).

There are other types of SWMs which do use gears, these are mostly the smaller and less expensive lenses that have come out around 2010-2016. The reason these don't use ring SWMs is cost savings (not having to design a new motor for each new lens, they use a common motor which is at one side of the lens and gears to transmit the torque to the focusing groups). I've never heard of this type of a design breaking although obviously that could be because they haven't been on the market all that long.

Oct 05, 2022 at 03:40 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

Lance B wrote:
I just re-asked Nikon service the question in response to this thread and they advise that they *do* use grease on the gears etc. They still advise to use your AF lenses on a regular basis so as all moving parts that require lubrication are kept lubricated.

They just confirmed they do not understand.
“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”

P.S.: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4254070 (read post 16)

P.S. 2: “Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth” [Joseph Goebbels].

Oct 05, 2022 at 05:41 AM
Buckeye2604
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

Ripolini wrote:
They just confirmed they do not understand.
“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”

P.S.: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4254070 (read post 16)

P.S. 2: “Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth” [Joseph Goebbels].

The poster in the link (post 5) states “use alcohol to degrease”.

Oct 05, 2022 at 09:01 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

to degrease = to clean

"This procedure works because this motors rely on the surfaces of the motor to being smooth and perfect as the smoothness is the "lubricant" that the motor glides over. So they start to squeak when oxidation forms because the surface is not smooth and it causes the motor to slow down and require more of an effort to move."
Then he didn't add any lubricant/grease after cleaning and reassembling.

ilkka_nissila wrote:
I believe there are no gears in the focusing mechanism of ring-type SWM lenses which are the ones used by all of the lenses mentioned in the OP and the ones (in some cases) reported to fail (typically at quite old age, but not always).

The same holds for most AF Canon lenses, that use ring-type USM motor:
https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/infobank/usm-stm-lens-technology/

P.S.: Nikon Patent https://patents.google.com/patent/US5719462A/en

Oct 05, 2022 at 10:03 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

With my two E lenses the motor simply failed to work and the motors went with no warning at all. There were not used under conditions of extreme heat or cold. When one spends $15,000 on a lens it is reasonable to expect it to be reliable.

Nikon reduced its warranty period for 5 years to only 1 year so clearly they have no confidence in the reliability of their own lenses and they are in the best position to know the MTBF for their lenses.

Oct 05, 2022 at 04:37 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

Ripolini wrote:
to degrease = to clean

degreased; degreasing; degreases
Definition of degrease

transitive verb
: to remove grease from

You're right. They degrease the parts to remove the grease that isn't there.

Oct 05, 2022 at 05:00 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

elkhornsun wrote:
With my two E lenses the motor simply failed to work and the motors went with no warning at all. There were not used under conditions of extreme heat or cold. When one spends $15,000 on a lens it is reasonable to expect it to be reliable.

Nikon reduced its warranty period for 5 years to only 1 year so clearly they have no confidence in the reliability of their own lenses and they are in the best position to know the MTBF for their lenses.

I cannot argue with that. Sorry this happened to you.

And I must admit, I would be furious with Nikon.

Oct 05, 2022 at 05:10 PM
rocketdoc97

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

Same thing with my and my 300 2.8 and my 200-400. Both motors died, and no one to fix them. I did ask one of the non-Nikon shops, but they said they could fix it, but there was no way to get to it for at least 6 or more months if at all with other repairs in the queue right now. So, lots of nice glass, with manual focus only...

Oct 05, 2022 at 05:12 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

rocketdoc97 wrote:
Same thing with my and my 300 2.8 and my 200-400. Both motors died, and no one to fix them. I did ask one of the non-Nikon shops, but they said they could fix it, but there was no way to get to it for at least 6 or more months if at all with other repairs in the queue right now. So, lots of nice glass, with manual focus only...

I question this.

Please list the repair sites you asked online.

I'll try to help. I cannot believe you cannot find a facility that cannot fix both of those lenses soon.

Robert

Oct 05, 2022 at 06:22 PM
rocketdoc97

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

These are VR I lenses, so I understood to be a problem. Checked with Nikon locally, checked with another local place that used to repair these (and they could not take it in). Checked with Midwest Camera Repair, and they typically repair, but first time contacted - lead time 6-8 months, second time the reply from them below:

"We normally do service this model, but at this time we are not accepting repairs on this model. You can check back with us in 4 – 6 months and see if our situation has changed (SEE BELOW).
Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are short handed like many other business. Also, many repair shops have closed during Covid not to reopen..."

I haven't contacted anyone else (APS), as I am trying to decide whether to buy a new 300 2.8, find a used/refurb 300, or maybe try the sigma 120-300 which should work for what I want. The Nikon lens is too $$$ for me at nearly $10k.

I have used both of these lenses recently using manual focus and they are still nice and sharp.

Oct 06, 2022 at 02:45 PM
rocketdoc97

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

I live in the Los Angeles area, so anywhere local would always be preferred. I have a 200 f2 VR I that I'd like services (cleaned and checked). In general, I don't care about VR, but the focus motor I do...

Oct 06, 2022 at 02:46 PM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

Lance B wrote:
They degrease the parts to remove the grease that isn't there.

Yes. And John Travolta is the Nikon service technician who gives you brilliant advice

Oct 06, 2022 at 02:58 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

Ripolini wrote:
Yes. And John Travolta is the Nikon service technician who gives you brilliant advice

When you come up with a valid reason for not using an AF lens regularly to avoid the squeaking, then I will listen to your advice. Otherwise, I will continue to heed the advice of those that would know best.

From what I have been seeing with most of the lens failures here and elsewhere, lack of use seems to be one of the more common causes. A friend of mine hadn't used his 500 f4E VR for about 12 months and it ended up with the dreaded squeak. None of my lenses squeak as I use them all regularly.

Oct 06, 2022 at 05:02 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

rocketdoc97 wrote:
These are VR I lenses, so I understood to be a problem. Checked with Nikon locally, checked with another local place that used to repair these (and they could not take it in). Checked with Midwest Camera Repair, and they typically repair, but first time contacted - lead time 6-8 months, second time the reply from them below:

"We normally do service this model, but at this time we are not accepting repairs on this model. You can check back with us in 4 – 6 months and see if our situation has changed (SEE BELOW).
Due to circumstances beyond our control,
...Show more

I love the 300 2.8. Had an MF one in the 1980’s and then an AF VRI and then an AF VRII.
It's just too short for what I do, although it would still be tack sharp with the TC’s (the 1.4 or the 2.0)

First, I want to suggest the following because you already wrote that you might do it anyway: If I am you and I continue to desire this great lens forumula, I would seriously think about buying a *brand new one*! If you think about it, this 300 2.8 Nikkor is a great buy. I think it’s been at $5500 for years now.

Why hunt around for a place to fix the VR I and put more money into it? Why not get the latest VR too? I love VR .
I might even think about a “like new” used one.

For the 200-400, I suggest you PM Bruce Levanthal here (on this Nikon forum). He goes by the name Owlseyes. He loved this lens for years and I think he had a few of them at various times. He might know where to fix that one you have.

My initial thought was to call KEH. Maybe they still repair older Nikons. That is who sold me that 300 2.89 VRI years ago. They might have scavanged/salvaged parts for your VR I. But they are in Georgia and you would rather deal out there in LA area. I don’t blame you.... if it’s home.

Robert

Oct 07, 2022 at 04:59 PM
groob
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

rocketdoc97 wrote:

Due to circumstances beyond our control,
...Show more

APS replaced the AF motor in my 500mm AF-S II in about 5 days. As I understand it, they used the motor for the G version. Works better than ever, but the repair wasn’t cheap.

Oct 08, 2022 at 05:15 AM
rocketdoc97

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon lens motor reliability issues?

Thank you. Yes. I have convinced myself to get a VR II. I was just worried it has been out a while and concerned Nikon will quit servicing it also. But I see no Z version on the horizon, only a 300 as part of a zoom. It's a good length for me. I am going to see if my local shop is doing any special in November (they typically have a no-tax sale).

I recently bought a Z9 (I went to a Nikon event at my local store and they happened to have 2 that was not a pre-order for the event, so decided it was fate), so this was just a whammy I didn't want.

I will look at APS for my 200-400. Great lens. And works great manual focus. Did some photos of Owls really close to me and all tack sharp. For some of what I shoot, pre-focus on a location is also viable, so all is not lost.

Thanks for the advice!

Lisa

Oct 08, 2022 at 11:12 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.