New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Winnipeg, Manitoba to Pass Christian, Mississippi

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Winnipeg, Manitoba to Pass Christian, Mississippi

We have friends in Pass Christian and next spring we will be doing a road trip in our camper van to visit them. We will be leaving as soon as there is a night in Winnipeg that doesn't drop below freezing (so I can dewinterize and prep the van without freezing damage). This likely means departing sometime during the last week of April. For reasons too long to explain here, we need to start planning this out now; at least at some level.

We are driving not flying so as to experience many places in the lower USA that we have never been to; food, culture, places, things. We have a few places we want to go through but are otherwise pretty flexible. Those places are Memphis, Nashville and Omaha. I didn't include New Orleans because we will be touring it with our friends. Also, we have been to St. Louis and Kansas City but going through Kansas City seemed a more direct route.

A potential route would be:

Winnipeg - Omaha - Kansas City - Memphis - Jackson - Pass Christian - Birmingham - Atlanta (?) - Nashville - Louisville - Cincinnati (?) - Indianapolis (?) - Minneapolis - Winnipeg

So going through N. Dakota, S. Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia (maybe), Ohio, Indiana (maybe) and Minnesota. Again, mostly very flexible. I put question marks next to a few places because they are "big name" places but I don't know if they are actually places that warrant a visit on a lengthy trip such as this.

I don't expect anybody to be able to comment on all of this but if there are any area(s) you know well, please do comment on that.

I should mention that from a photography perspective, I am mostly into wildlife but also some landscape/scenic photography, but this isn't a dedicated photography trip so anything that strikes you as noteworthy along or somewhat near the above path is of interest to me.

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2022 at 09:23 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Winnipeg, Manitoba to Pass Christian, Mississippi

Is anybody able to comment on one or more of Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta, Nashville, Cincinnati, Indianapolis? Input on these places would be VERY helpful.

Thanks

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:18 AM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Winnipeg, Manitoba to Pass Christian, Mississippi

I visited Nashville and Birmingham last winter, had fun shooting in both cities. Weather and plans kept me in the downtowns, so I don't have any first hand info on wildlife/landscape but here are my thoughts:

Nashville: We were going to explore some surrounding natural areas, but there were two big snowstorms the week we were there that cancelled those plans. IIRC, there were a number of waterfalls, river hikes, etc. that seemed promising. Chattanooga had even more options in that vein. Had a blast shooting on lower Broadway during the snow and at night. Some great skyline views from the other side of the river too, easily accessible by footbridge.

Birmingham: We were only there one day, but I was really impressed with all the old buildings downtown and there were some decent vistas of the skyline from the hills south of downtown. Sloss Furnaces was closed the day we were there, but looked like a really cool old industrial complex to shoot if you're into that kind of thing.

I know you said you didn't need info on New Orleans, but if you're into skylines, be sure to take the ferry over to Algiers Point from the French Quarter for sunset.

Hope that helps.

Heron

Sep 26, 2022 at 01:00 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Winnipeg, Manitoba to Pass Christian, Mississippi

OregonSun, thanks for the post.

I should clarify that the trip is to see our friends but it is as much about the journey as it is the destination. The journey will be both photography and general sightseeing. It's not a dedicated photo tour.

Sep 28, 2022 at 05:41 PM
Taperwing
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Winnipeg, Manitoba to Pass Christian, Mississippi

Coming over from the Cincinnati thread to offer a few more thoughts.

I don't know what size of camper you are dealing with, but if it is not too large or cumbersome, there are a couple of limited access parkways, overseen by our National Park Service, that are worthy of a look. Closer to where you are heading is the Natchez Trace Parkway, of which I have no personal experience. The second is the Blue Ridge Parkway through the Appalacian Mountains. Been on various parts of that one several times. Think a very well maintained, 2-lane ribbon of asphalt, carryfully carved through the mountains. There is no advertising or services, but there are access roads that cut accross occasionally that can take you back to civilization. Plenty of pull off points for grand views, trail access, or simply to take a breather. No camping on the parkway, but there state parks with camping branch off at points.

Speaking of camping, if you don't already know about it, check out "freeroam.app". You can access from a computer browser window, and they also have phone app versions, which you can install. Basically, a crowdsourced boondocking app, with reviews. You can also turn on various layers, such as T-mobile, Verizon, or ATT phone coverage, topography, Walmarts (for free overnighting) ecetera. My son used this extensively while sleeping out of his car on an extended western tour last fall.

Also, this is not on your original path, but if thinking about the Blue Ridge Parkway, you might consider Great Smoky Mountains National Park, with caveat to stay out of the park center. The great majority of park visitors clog 441, which is the North/South artery which bifurcates the park. The Cades Cove area, and northern boundary are the busiest. Again, if your camper isn't too large, I would suggest the Cataloochie Valley in the SE section of the park. There is also a well maintained dirt road which connects Cataloochie to Deep Creek.

Again, not on your original path, but I would probably head back through Michigan. On the NW corner of Michigan's LP is Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore. Do the Pierce Stocking Scenic Loop in the evening, and catch a Lake Michigan sunset. Head the warnings and do NOT hike down to the water level from the overlook. A really beautiful and relaxing place to hang out and camp. That whole region from Manistee on up through Petoskey tickles my fancy. Route 22 and the Mission Penisula is worth some time. Once you finish in the LP, you can head across the Grand Mackinac Bridge and see the UP. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in on the Superior side of the UP. While worthy of a stop, you need to get out on the water to see the beauty of this spot. There is regular tour boat that operates out of Munising. Swing through northern Wisconsin and stop in Minneapolis on the way home, if interested.

Oct 13, 2022 at 09:13 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Winnipeg, Manitoba to Pass Christian, Mississippi

This is awesome information taperwing. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such detail.

You have certainly given me a few different options to consider, and consider I will.

Thanks

Oct 13, 2022 at 10:24 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Winnipeg, Manitoba to Pass Christian, Mississippi

Forgot to mention that we are in a Class B travel van. It is a RAM Promaster 2500 made in to a travel van by a travel van manufacturer. It is only about 20' long, so it is pretty compact and handles well (assuming one doesn't have 40-50mph cross winds!).

Oct 13, 2022 at 12:40 PM
Taperwing
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Winnipeg, Manitoba to Pass Christian, Mississippi

Your camper van would certainly be fine for either the Natchez or Blueridge Parkway routes and/or the trip up to Cataloochee (this is the correct spelling) Valley. Smaller is better for hitting some of the more remote spots and boondocking.

FWIW, Great Smoky Mountains NP is one of our most visited parks (supposedly, 14.1 million visits in 2021), and even staying in the remote Cataloochee Valley will require a campsite reservation well in advance. I haven't been in some years but guessing it is still 'primitive' camping.

Oct 13, 2022 at 01:37 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Winnipeg, Manitoba to Pass Christian, Mississippi

Primitive camping is totally fine. The van packs a punch, with lithium ion batteries, solar panels, propane, heat/AC, fresh/grey/black water tanks, sink, fridge/freezer, toilet. I have boondocked for eight straight days no problem.

Oct 13, 2022 at 02:12 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.