New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Ultralight tripod

teraflame
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ultralight tripod

I’ve found that standard tripods are just too cumbersome and I’d be lazy to take with me. What are the best options for an ultralight?

Sep 23, 2022 at 09:01 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ultralight tripod

you mean ones that carry well but fall short on their functional value?

if so, what are your personal wanted specs and cost range?

you know somethings gotta give.

this is an age-old issue. an exercise in compromise.

Edited on Sep 23, 2022 at 06:48 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2022 at 09:15 AM
pendennis
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ultralight tripod

I found a Gitzo GT1540G mountaineer, used at an estate sale several months ago. It is a compromise, but one with which I can live. It has a load capacity of 17.6lbs. I'd preferred a three-section, but as with all compromises, I can abide a four-section model. I've used leg weights on occasion when windy, and it's been a great buy.

My preference would be a three-section CF, with a capacity of at least 35lbs. I have an Induro (Benro) CT-303, which has a stated capacity of 44lbs, as well as a Manfrotto 055 Pro CF, which supports around 20lbs. I don't have a single camera/lens combination which exceeds the support limits.

I've omitted any aluminum tripods available today. I also don't want any excess weight. That stated, I still have a Vivitar 1321, a Leitz Tiltall, and an older Slik 67 prototype, which I use when I can stay close to my car.

If you can get to a decent retailer, go. If not, check the customer ratings of places like B&H, Adorama, etc., to get an idea of what will work for you.

Sep 23, 2022 at 09:45 AM
agvogel
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ultralight tripod

Stability, full size, light weight: pick two. I find my GT1545T a good compromise for my Z7II + 14-30 + 24-200 backpacking setup - carries well for long mileage days.

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:05 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ultralight tripod

The challenge, as @agvogel notes, is combining size, stability and portability. If you eliminate "full size" from the equation you can have stability and light weight. You can use short legs like a table top or macro tripod. Or use thin "0" series type legs (~22mm max tube diameter) but only extend the first section. The more sections you extend, the thinner the exposed legs, the less stable the platform.

So you need to be OK working bent over or sitting (my preference). I usually work sitting even with my heavy tripods when I can. Setting leg angles to 45 degrees and extending none or only one section makes a super stable system. Hanging a weight such as a backpack under the center of the legs helps too.

Whatever you do, don't use a center column. That introduces more instability than anything else.

The smallest diameter legs I use are Leofoto LS-225C (22mm, 5 section). Legs alone only weigh 0.75kg. It will extend to nearly standing height for me but I'd never use it that way for long exposures. At sitting height with just one section extended it is very stable.

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:02 PM
agvogel
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ultralight tripod

I should add, if I'm going really light, I just bring this little guy with a small ballhead on top: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1249619-REG/feisol_fett15m2_tt_15_mark_2_mini.html

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:05 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ultralight tripod

Without knowing budget, cameras to be used, weight or size limits it's hard to make decent suggestions.

FWIW, I happen to have several Sirui tripods. Like many brands, they have a range of tube diameters, often designated from 0 to 5 as size increases for the outer/largest section. 0 is common in small, light "travel" tripods and then the inner tubes decrease in diameter and strength, and the last section of a 5 section 0 tripod is quite slender. One gains strength and sturdiness by starting with a larger diameter or by using fewer sections. By informal comparison, my 1 5 section is sturdier and not that much heavier than the 0 5 section and the 4 section CF "1" is even sturdier and more generally suitable to a wider range of tasks. I happen to have a 5 section 0 and 1 in aluminum and a 4 section 1 in CF.

The 5 section 0 handles an aps-c mirror-less with smaller lenses well in mild conditions. Going to a 1 seemed (no formal tests) a substantial gain. I'd use it with my A7Riv and will be testing it with the Tamron 28-200. The 4 section 1 in CF does well with the A7Riv and 28-200 to the extent I've tried it. I'm not sure I'd expect it to handle my D7200 and 70-300 with much breeze.

The larger CF with 4 longer sections isn't nearly as compact as the either of the 5 section tripods but that's part of the compromising one does in selecting tripods.

Sep 23, 2022 at 01:25 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ultralight tripod

teraflame wrote:
I’ve found that standard tripods are just too cumbersome and I’d be lazy to take with me. What are the best options for an ultralight?

That depends on how you define "standard tripod" and "ultralight", as well as "best option". What are you willing to trade off? Height?,, weight?,,, pack size?,,,stability?, reliability?

With many ultralights, you're not only reducing weight,,,,you're also living with the compromises involved in producing such a tripod, and doubly so if you add an "ultralight head".

Are you looking to extract maximum sharpness from your lenses? How much sharpness are you willing to trade off by reducing weight by a pound or two, over a carry-distance of a few hundred yards?? Which of those two are more important to you? How many "keeper" shot" percentage points are you hoping for?

What kind of environmental and weather-related conditions will you be shooting in? When shooting outdoors,,, wind variations and flowing water will be your biggest enemies, and those elements will affect ANY tripod to varying degrees...Shooting indoors or strictly in calm weather with an ultralight can be fine in many instances.

What kind of budget are we looking at? When considering budget, think "product support", "availability of spare parts" and accessories. With many cheap ultralights, you break a leg shim or something minor, and you're "up-the-creek" without the proverbial paddle,,,you toss it and buy another..

So,,, are you looking for an ultralight "all-rounder" for indoor/outdoor shooting?,,, or something of minimal use in limited conditions?

My personal choice for outdoor light-weight support is a Gitzo 2-series Traveller, weighing in at 1.3Kg. Add the Gitzo GH1382QD ball-head with friction-control,,,, a decent shoulder-sling, and the appropriate feet, and your "golden" as long as the weather's OK. If you're shooting near large open bodies of water (beaches/shorelines), or, higher elevations where wind gusts are often predominant, I'll go with a heavier/stiffer kit like my 3,4,and 5-series Systematics with long spikes...

Sep 23, 2022 at 04:34 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ultralight tripod

teraflame wrote:

Platypod.

C

Sep 24, 2022 at 12:01 AM
PB_James
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ultralight tripod

I bought one of these last year: https://vuepointultralight.com/

It's truly an ULTRALIGHT tripod, nowhere near the ruggedness that traditional users expect, but a featherweight that does a great job in normal conditions without greatly weighing you down. It was the perfect tool for my photography on a 4-day 60-mile Sierra backpacking trip that crossed over four 12,000ft passes earlier this summer.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:05 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ultralight tripod

Tabletop does 9 to 21.5 inches. Used with my D800 and 105 macro.

Sep 27, 2022 at 03:56 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.