New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

wcj0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

Updated my R3 with the new 1.2.1 firmware and now my camera locks up every 15-20 shots. Never had a lockup until the new firmware install. Not sure if anyone has had a problem with the new firmware update. Also reloaded it twice to make sure i didn't have a glitch in the first load. Thanks, wcj0

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:27 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

I was not having any issues prior - to be said twice had a lockout if sorts after update, requiring removing batteryin order to restart the system. neither has happened again after hundreds of shots.
to be said, I had experienced odd events, with Leicas, Olympus and even DSLRs(canon).So @@@t happens - often called glitches, because they don't repeat or look somewhat similar to previous (might not be the right concept about it....). Anyway, if indeed it's repeating that often, try first different memory cards; and if persistent by all.means talk to Canon

Sep 23, 2022 at 01:15 AM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

I spoke to CPS the same day after having the lockups and prior to that tried all the "usual" remedies, different cards, different lens. factory reset etc. nothing worked. going shooting today, see what happens

Sep 23, 2022 at 07:23 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

wcj0 wrote:
I spoke to CPS the same day after having the lockups and prior to that tried all the "usual" remedies, different cards, different lens. factory reset etc. nothing worked. going shooting today, see what happens

if still happens, then it's time to sent it in.........

Sep 23, 2022 at 07:39 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

I have 1.2.1 in my R3 and I haven’t experienced any issues, knock on wood.

Sep 23, 2022 at 08:53 AM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

went out shooting macros today, locked up twice, simple turn of the battery lock, didn't even have to start the camera back up again because the on/off switch was still on and continued shooting as though it was never off. I'm waiting until it becomes so bad that when i send it in canon can duplicate the condition. Otherwise, i feel i'll be sending the camera back and forth forever. That happend to me on a 1DsMIII until I refused to take the camera back and they replaced it with a new one. The time it takes to flip the battery lock is tents of a second so i really don't miss anything. Tomorrow i'll be shooting a soccer game so i'll see how anoying i gets. That may push me to the brink. The body is less than a month old and i would ask for a replacement but I know their not available. I still have a 1Dx and a 1DxII so it's not like i'm starving for cameras lol.

Sep 23, 2022 at 03:24 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

wcj0 wrote:
went out shooting macros today, locked up twice, simple turn of the battery lock, didn't even have to start the camera back up again because the on/off switch was still on and continued shooting as though it was never off. I'm waiting until it becomes so bad that when i send it in canon can duplicate the condition. Otherwise, i feel i'll be sending the camera back and forth forever. That happend to me on a 1DsMIII until I refused to take the camera back and they replaced it with a new one. The time it takes to flip the
...Show more

I really feel your pain….good luck!

Sep 23, 2022 at 06:28 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

Quick status update on lockup. Shot a HS Soccer Game today, approximately 2,000+ shots, camera locked up once but with a quick unlock/lock on the battery lock, started up exactly where i left off without any problems. Shot with RF/EF converter and Canon 100-400v1, servo mode. center point focus, SS 1600, iso 400 and in H mode. aside from the one hiccup, the camera preformed perfectly. Can't see how i can send this in to Canon to repair and hope they find the problem unless buried somewhere in the Corporation, they have a fix but won't tell anyone there is a problem because they don't want a sXXt storm of cameras ending up on their doorstep. Well i'm shooting another game tomorrow, we'll see how that turns out. Also should have added looked in th log of the camera and it's blank, thanks for looking, Jeff

Sep 24, 2022 at 03:26 PM
nadroj
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

Just a thought: it seems like lockups with new firmware versions often end up being a certain combination of settings that they didn't test. Might be worth doing a factory reset to see if it still happens. If it does, I'd send it in. If not, I'd send them the information so that hopefully they can get a fix for that combination of settings out ASAP. Good luck!

Sep 24, 2022 at 04:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wcj0
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

thanks appreciate everyones input. Another game tomorrow, we'll see how that turns out.

Sep 24, 2022 at 06:59 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

probably the last post im going to make on this matter unless i decide to send the camera in to canon, Shot another game this afternoon, 1,600 shots, locked up twice. once after about 1200 and then again about 400. Disrupted my shooting for maby 1.5 minutes total. probably going to hold on to it for a while until it becomes worse. I have close to 11 months left on my warantee and i may even pick up the rediculous 4yr $500 complete coverage warantee since in the short period of time i have 40,000 shots on the shutter already. Have another 60 days to decide on that one. thanks all!!

Sep 25, 2022 at 04:23 PM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

I don't hear about the lock ups very much any more, and the R3 I rented for a week had zero lock up issues. However, with the R5 and R6, there were people who were getting lock ups like you. The two people I know who had R5/R6's that locked up nearly every time out, had to send them in for service. One of those two people, received an invoice stating the mainboard needed replacing, the other forgot to look at what they found but both were fixed after.

My suggestion, find time to send it in for service or take back to the seller.

Edited on Oct 01, 2022 at 06:06 PM · View previous versions

Sep 30, 2022 at 03:55 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

I had an R3 from CPS here in Canada for two weeks. I had two strange experiences with it that required pulling the battery. The first time the camera was set up on a tripod, vertical orientation, outside in the sun. The top of the grip where the memory cards are located (when vertical) became extremely hot and the camera was unresponsive. I turned it off and put it in the shade for a few minutes and it recovered. The second IIRC was during a football game and it was unresponsive. I turned it off but all displays stayed on, so I immediately pulled the battery for a second and it was fine once 'rebooted.' I don't have the camera any longer and didn't check the FW version, so not sure if it was on 1.2.1. Other than those instances, the camera was pretty solid.

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:42 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

I wasen't going to keep this post active by me because it had few responses with problems from other people but since it seems that i have 2 more responses and appreciate them i will. Last Friday at about 5pm i shot another soccer game. This time i shot it in electronic shutter, using the Cfastexpress card ( by accident ), and switched out my EF-RF kolari adapter with the OEM canon one. I only switched the adapter out to see if the oem one without the control ring or any glass between it and the lens had anything to do with anything. I purchesed the Kolari adapter with the clear glass insert in order to keep the dust from the push pull lens off the sensor or shutter. I shot about 2200 shots and no lockup. Very strange shooting with the electronic shutter since for some I tended to shoot more shots basically unintentionally. However the shots that i grabed were awsome because of the burst speed. One thing that i noticed and i don't know if this is comon on the R3 but, the top of the camera where i keep my finger near the shutter button seems to always get fairly warm. Not HOT to the touch, but warm. I never noticed that on any of my other 1 series cameras. Anyway, i'll see what happens on the next shoot. I should also add that i use my ef100-400 v1 push pull lens for soccer. I own the RF100-500 and was hoping that it would replace the 100-400 but i can't get used to the amount of travel in the focusing ring in order to go from 100-500 and by the end of the game i can hardly move my wrists lol. thanks for looking, wcj0

Oct 01, 2022 at 09:05 AM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

wcj0 wrote:
I wasen't going to keep this post active by me because it had few responses with problems from other people but since it seems that i have 2 more responses and appreciate them i will. Last Friday at about 5pm i shot another soccer game. This time i shot it in electronic shutter, using the Cfastexpress card ( by accident ), and switched out my EF-RF kolari adapter with the OEM canon one. I only switched the adapter out to see if the oem one without the control ring or any glass between it and the lens had anything to
...Show more

With the 100-500 you can actually use it as a push pull. Just turn the friction ring to the loosest setting and you can push pull using the front of the barrel, pretty easy if you use the lens hood. Probably not as ergonomic as the v1.

Oct 01, 2022 at 10:09 AM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

wcj0 wrote:
...One thing that i noticed and i don't know if this is common on the R3 but, the top of the camera where i keep my finger near the shutter button seems to always get fairly warm. Not HOT to the touch, but warm. I never noticed that on any of my other 1 series cameras. Anyway, i'll see what happens on the next shoot.
wcj0

I can't remember if the R3 I was using got warm, but I know the R5 does, at least in the sun. The metal two loops act like heat sinks and warm up the body near them. Nothing to worry about there, IMO.

Hopefully, your problems are based around the third-party adapter. Keep using the Canon version and see how it works. One negative thing I've noticed, the Canon basic adapter isn't bulletproof. Mine has developed a slightly bad connection and will lose AF or change the AF zone to a slightly smaller one if it is significantly torqued while shooting. Considering how many RF to EF adapters have been offered on the refurbished site, it suggests to me there is an issue with the adapter so, baby it.

Oct 01, 2022 at 06:13 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Problems withk Canon R3 after firmware update 1.2.1

Jesse I tried loosing the friction ring to the loosest setting but still didn't push pull to easily. I only tried this with the kolari adapter and clear filter. I'll try it with just the canon adapter without anything in the middle.Mike, i have 3 different canon adapters, 2 control ring and one just plain. I will try all that but i think the next step is to shoot another game with the setup that i have now and if there's no lockup, then i will try the kolari adapter again and see what happens. i actually like the fact that the clear filter will help keep dirt off the sensor. I usually cleaned all my sensors in house, however with the in camera stabilization knowing that the censor moves, i'm not ready to try that. once again thanks for the responses.

Oct 02, 2022 at 12:47 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password