p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Heaven Express 482

Composite. 10 images. 57 layers.

Socrate

Sep 22, 2022 at 09:30 PM
jaggedhorizon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Heaven Express 482

As a general intro: it's amazing how my mind tries to find the hidden reality of the image and explain to itself the photo, even knowing full well that it's a composite.

As usual, amazing effort and a powerful image. The symbolism is quite contrasting: the doves (which to me seem a tiny bit too much) and the black birds (crows?)...not sure what to make of that (again, trying to explain things to myself).

From a pure photographic technique, the speckled area in the lower left but to the right of the old man is a bit unclear to me - as to what it's supposed to represent. Also, maybe consider toning down the white smoke around the locomotive wheels? (not for realism, just because it attracts too much attention).

Sep 26, 2022 at 05:02 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Heaven Express 482

jaggedhorizon wrote:
As a general intro: it's amazing how my mind tries to find the hidden reality of the image and explain to itself the photo, even knowing full well that it's a composite.

As usual, amazing effort and a powerful image. The symbolism is quite contrasting: the doves (which to me seem a tiny bit too much) and the black birds (crows?)...not sure what to make of that (again, trying to explain things to myself).

From a pure photographic technique, the speckled area in the lower left but to the right of the old man is a bit unclear to me - as
...Show more

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Cedric. Nice to hear from you

The allegory should be clear enough. The man is embarking on his last trip. A trip to heaven on the “Heaven Express” train.
Contrasting is the right word. The symbolism is supposed to be contrasting.

On one side the white doves around the man are evoking/symbolizing the life/character of the man: a gentle, lovable, peaceful man.
On the other side the crows, in contrast, representing the bad side of the “story”. I am sure you did notice they are standing above the train conductor (Death). The crows symbolize negative meanings, and the association between crows and death is one of them.

Another contrasting symbolism is the train coming from a warm side and heading to a “cold” one.

Having said that I really appreciate your thoughts. They gave me some indication that I should work more on the composition because I believe we shouldn’t make the viewer to “work” to see the elements of our composition. We should be the ones that deliver that to our viewer. And your comments are a big help in that direction.
Thanks again.

Socrate

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:06 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Heaven Express 482

Hi Socrate. Some of my thoughts have already been touched on, but I will second the idea of taming the smoke/steam around the wheels.

Your second last paragraph re the warm side and heading to the cold one helps me understand your intent, as I found it unclear/uncertain. It is not uncommon to hear/read about a dead person going TO the light (especially as described by those who "return" from the experience). Perhaps too the difference in "from" and "to" is a religious thing; those who believe in the afterlife see it as going to a better place while those who do not see it as a cold, dark end (not that I am implying I know your religious beliefs)?

Don

Oct 09, 2022 at 05:05 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Heaven Express 482

EverLearning wrote:
Hi Socrate. Some of my thoughts have already been touched on, but I will second the idea of taming the smoke/steam around the wheels.

Your second last paragraph re the warm side and heading to the cold one helps me understand your intent, as I found it unclear/uncertain. It is not uncommon to hear/read about a dead person going TO the light (especially as described by those who "return" from the experience). Perhaps too the difference in "from" and "to" is a religious thing; those who believe in the afterlife see it as going to a better place while those who
...Show more

Thanks for your comments, Don. The idea was not that of a dead person but rather of a person about to die, once he gets on the train where the Death is waiting for him. There was no religious intent in the composition. Just the idea of a man embarking on his last trip.

Socrate

Oct 10, 2022 at 09:41 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Heaven Express 482

He's clearly not a photographer. First trip or last trip, he would have a camera in his hand!

Oct 10, 2022 at 09:54 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.