New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Focus Tracking on 6dmk2?

snegron7
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focus Tracking on 6dmk2?

I have been trying to figure out if the 6dmk2 has focus tracking. If so, does anyone here remember how to set it to focus tracking?

Sep 22, 2022 at 05:20 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focus Tracking on 6dmk2?

The 6D2 only has face tracking in live view mode. You enable it in the menus when you are in live view mode. There is no tracking feature through the viewfinder. For viewfinder tracking I use servo AF with a cluster of 9 AF points and track the subject's movement myself.

Sep 22, 2022 at 05:32 PM
Bassat

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Focus Tracking on 6dmk2?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
The 6D2 only has face tracking in live view mode. You enable it in the menus when you are in live view mode. There is no tracking feature through the viewfinder. For viewfinder tracking I use servo AF with a cluster of 9 AF points and track the subject's movement myself.

Agreed. It is worth noting that version II is WAY better than the original 6D. It is based on the 80D AF system and sports a newer processor. I don't do much Servo/Tracking AF anymore, but the 6DII has never let me down. Then again, I never had huge problems tracking soccer with MF lenses 40 years ago. AF does complicate the issue a bit because it can, from time to time, focus on the background, or more annoyingly, focus on something coming between camera and subject. MF has never had either problem.

Sep 23, 2022 at 09:22 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Focus Tracking on 6dmk2?

Yes, I used the 80D for an African safari quite successfully capturing a number of birds in flight as well as more stationary birds, reptiles, and mammals. I've never had an issue getting faces and eyes in focus using the pre-tracking optical AF systems. But, mind, I don't do much birds in flight and no sports action tracking. I now have the R7 with the latest animal face and eye tracking. I mostly use the tracking feature to focus and recompose, i.e. I put the focus point on the face or eye and then let tracking hold the focus point while composing the image. Obviously this is for stationary or slow animals like the perched eagles I was photographing on a recent trip. It is a convenience that is faster than using manual controls to move the focus point. I'll probably take my 6D2 or 5D4 for a less wildlife oriented trip next year.

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:41 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Focus Tracking on 6dmk2?

Using the R7's tracking feature to focus and recompose works wonderfully. It works in all AF patterns, including single point mode. Wish my other cameras had that feature...

Sep 23, 2022 at 01:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Focus Tracking on 6dmk2?

Let me expand a bit on what the R7's tracking brings over older AF systems. One merely has to look at the R7 image thread to see that people are happy with its movement tracking ability. Another advantage that I've discovered is letting the animal face and eye detection find the critter in the first place. My dogs chased a determined squirrel away from our bird feeder into a nearby bush. I had my R7 handy and its AF found and locked on the squirrel face even though it was partially obscured by foliage. For flying hawks I use the entire AF area and let the camera find the hawk, a focus approach I've never used before.

Face detection AF isn't fool proof. We were photographing bears, eagles, and sea otters on our recent Alaska trip. I was using my 5D4 + 100-400 II and my wife was using the R7 + RF 100-400. For bears and otters, unless one was very close, there wasn't enough contrast in the eye or facial features for specific detection, especially bears. It found the bear and locked on easily enough but in the same manner as a mirrored AF system. OTOH for eagles, harbor seals, and other birds the finding and locking worked beautifully. The keeper success rate and image quality was actually the same between the 5D4 and R7. We would have come home with lovely images just using either camera. The only keeper flying eagle image I captured was with the 5D. But bird and most animal focusing is much easier and faster with the R7. It is my new critter camera. If we go back I'd have my own R7 and the 100-500. For landscapes and travel, the mirrored AF works as well as it ever did and is still very capable for wildlife.

Sep 24, 2022 at 12:17 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Focus Tracking on 6dmk2?

Gochugogi wrote:
Using the R7's tracking feature to focus and recompose works wonderfully. It works in all AF patterns, including single point mode. Wish my other cameras had that feature...

Which feature is that? I donít have an R7. Just curious.

Sep 24, 2022 at 02:29 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Focus Tracking on 6dmk2?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Let me expand a bit on what the R7's tracking brings over older AF systems. One merely has to look at the R7 image thread to see that people are happy with its movement tracking ability. Another advantage that I've discovered is letting the animal face and eye detection find the critter in the first place. My dogs chased a determined squirrel away from our bird feeder into a nearby bush. I had my R7 handy and its AF found and locked on the squirrel face even though it was partially obscured by foliage. For flying hawks I use
...Show more

I used Zone AF quite a bit with my DSLRís for BIF. Single point as well. I could not go back to a camera without faceeye detect. For static objects you donít have to move the AF point around, just compose.

I could never keep the AF point on a flying birds eye so itís awesome there as well. As for your eagle shot attempts did it just not focus on bird itself? Iíve set up my BBF buttons to pre-focus on the subject If camera is failing to isolate it. For example the AF-ON is set to Single Point AF and I just need to get that anywhere on the bird and then release the BBF. The eye usually snaps in. * is set to Zone AF for more AF points to work with.

Sep 24, 2022 at 02:42 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Focus Tracking on 6dmk2?

Also for static or very slow moving subjects I set Switching Tracked subjects to 0 or Locked On. Faster subjects I set to 1. There is warning in the manual about using 0 for faster subjects.

Sep 24, 2022 at 02:51 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Focus Tracking on 6dmk2?

Zenon Char wrote:
Which feature is that? I donít have an R7. Just curious.

You probably mean this? Nice little feature if so. Would eliminate pre-focus technique I use with my R5.

Sep 24, 2022 at 03:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password