Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

24-70 GM V2 vs Primes

  
 
thedwp
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


I'm considering the 24-70GM V2...I'm seeing some pop up quite often in the B&S section. I have the 24GM, 35GM & 50GM but would like to consolidate and not have so many lenses to carry around. I'll prob keep the 50.

Any thoughts on the IQ of the zoom vs primes? I know there has to be some trade off, but carrying 2 lenses is much better than 3-4.

And finally, do you guys think people are re-selling them strictly for budget or regrettable GAS?

thanks in advance!



Sep 22, 2022 at 04:16 PM
sidaths
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


If your use case is mostly landscape, then I've found that the zoom keeps up with my 24gm fairly well.


Sep 22, 2022 at 05:31 PM
DaveFP
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


I have a lot of very nice primes but I just picked up a 24-70 GM II for landscapes in Glacier NP.

I'm very impressed; no regrets.

We had a lot of wind filled with dust, cinders, and mist from the waterfalls. Would not want to have been hunkered down trying to cleanly change lenses in my bag.

(or sitting in the lodge each night cleaning sensors)

That said there is no way of knowing why people do what people do.

As my antecedents liked to say - "there's nowt so queer as folk".



Sep 22, 2022 at 05:43 PM
SoundHound
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


If you are using the zoom stopped down to F5.6-F8 the primes will offer little more than smaller size/weight at the expense of the variable framing of the zoom. Where the primes shine are in low light at F1.2-F2.0.


Sep 22, 2022 at 06:15 PM
thedwp
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


Thanks for the insightsÖjust ordered one and anxious to get out and shoot!


Sep 22, 2022 at 11:53 PM
wordfool
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


Yes, I only use primes if I need something faster than f/2.8 or want something smaller than a zoom. Fast primes will also generally be sharper than the zoom at f/2.8 (not that the 24-70 v2 is unsharp) but obviously the zoom offers tremendous flexibility in terms of focal lengths.


Sep 23, 2022 at 03:36 AM
Hodie
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


I just got the 24-70 GM II. Along with the 70-200 GM II, I'm thinking (reluctanly) that I could sell my primes: 35 GM, 50 GM, Sigma 105 1.4, and 135 GM. I regret selling my 200-600, so I may re-buy, then get the 14 GM (again) to cover my ultra wide range.

Both zooms are incredibly sharp and the bokeh quality is really good, and the high ISO performance + noise reduction software allows me to shoot without thinking twice about keeping the shutter speed on the high end.

Apples to oranges for sure, but my photography these days is dictated by how fast my family moves. I've been a stubborn prime apologist for almost 9 years now, and I think it's time I try to live with mostly zooms. There have been many instances during travel where switching lenses hampered my ability to create.



Sep 25, 2022 at 12:40 PM
JVan_02
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


Hodie wrote:
I just got the 24-70 GM II. Along with the 70-200 GM II, I'm thinking (reluctanly) that I could sell my primes: 35 GM, 50 GM, Sigma 105 1.4, and 135 GM. I regret selling my 200-600, so I may re-buy, then get the 14 GM (again) to cover my ultra wide range.

Both zooms are incredibly sharp and the bokeh quality is really good, and the high ISO performance + noise reduction software allows me to shoot without thinking twice about keeping the shutter speed on the high end.

Apples to oranges for sure, but my photography these days is dictated
...Show more

Right now I'm waiting to get something, but I'm debating between the 35 GM for amazing low light + lighter weight, the 24-70 GM II for everything in a lightweight (but expensive) package, or the 35-150 for probably the best (if most cumbersome) zoom available.

Really wish we saw more coverage and sample images with the 28-75 G2. It's probably the nearest competition to the GM II in size and AF reliability, but I've heard mixed reports about how good it is across the range. Everything to in the GM II league to not as good as the Sigma 24-70 ART.



Sep 25, 2022 at 01:23 PM
mudlake
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes




thedwp wrote:
I'm considering the 24-70GM V2...I'm seeing some pop up quite often in the B&S section. I have the 24GM, 35GM & 50GM but would like to consolidate and not have so many lenses to carry around. I'll prob keep the 50.

Any thoughts on the IQ of the zoom vs primes? I know there has to be some trade off, but carrying 2 lenses is much better than 3-4.

And finally, do you guys think people are re-selling them strictly for budget or regrettable GAS?

thanks in advance!


I would keep your primes and add the 24-70II. Iíve shot with the Sigma 24-70/2.8 for years and it is fantastic, but I just ordered the Sony 24-70GM II for the lighter weight and slightly smaller size. But I could not give up the 35GM and 50GM. Those are really special. Good luck!



Sep 25, 2022 at 01:46 PM
Hodie
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


JVan_02 wrote:
Right now I'm waiting to get something, but I'm debating between the 35 GM for amazing low light + lighter weight, the 24-70 GM II for everything in a lightweight (but expensive) package, or the 35-150 for probably the best (if most cumbersome) zoom available.

Really wish we saw more coverage and sample images with the 28-75 G2. It's probably the nearest competition to the GM II in size and AF reliability, but I've heard mixed reports about how good it is across the range. Everything to in the GM II league to not as good as the Sigma 24-70
...Show more

We are spoiled with choices for Sony. The new 24-70 GM II, while smaller/lighter than the previous version, is still pretty hefty. If you're comparing size/weight against the 35 GM and 28-75 G2, it loses by a noticeable margin. That said, the handling is really nice and it's balanced nicely even when fully extended.



Sep 25, 2022 at 02:20 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

JVan_02
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


Hodie wrote:
We are spoiled with choices for Sony. The new 24-70 GM II, while smaller/lighter than the previous version, is still pretty hefty. If you're comparing size/weight against the 35 GM and 28-75 G2, it loses by a noticeable margin. That said, the handling is really nice and it's balanced nicely even when fully extended.


Yeah, I'd really love an even lighter 2.8 zoom than the G2. For this reason I'm keeping an eye out for the upcoming 20-40, but I'd unequivocally love a 28-55 or a 28-60 even more. The Sigma DG DN C lens falls a bit quite short of the optical mark for me, which is a bit of a shame. When it comes to family shooting, I tend to also need to bring along things for the kids and also potentially carry a kid or two around with my kit + whatever else.

The 35-150 fascinates me a bit like the movie Shoot Em Up struck Roger Ebert: "... much farther than merely too far. This one goes so far, if you even want to get that far, you have to start half-way there". The sheer audacity of the lens seems like a joke, and the fact that its performant as it is makes it a good one.



Sep 25, 2022 at 03:10 PM
ruthenium
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


I suspect that the lens development in recent years might have reached the point when the success of one's photography and satisfaction with the pictures taken are not critically dependent on the lens used, but depend mostly on the usual: light quality, subject, composition, and PP skills.
Arguably, for general photography (e.g. travel) lens choice is more a matter of convenience, or principle. A modern zoom which covers the needed focal range should work well for many if not most projects. I don't mean every project, of course.



Sep 25, 2022 at 03:27 PM
goodbokeh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


thedwp wrote:
I'm considering the 24-70GM V2...I'm seeing some pop up quite often in the B&S section. I have the 24GM, 35GM & 50GM but would like to consolidate and not have so many lenses to carry around. I'll prob keep the 50.

Any thoughts on the IQ of the zoom vs primes? I know there has to be some trade off, but carrying 2 lenses is much better than 3-4.

And finally, do you guys think people are re-selling them strictly for budget or regrettable GAS?

thanks in advance!


I just purchased the 24-70 GM II myself. I was unpleasantly surprised to discover that there is no full lens profile (distortion corrections missing) for Adobe Camera Raw, and I believe Lightroom also.

We're 6 months down the road since the lens became available for pre-order. As a monthly paying customer I hope Adobe is going to provide the full lens profile soon. I'm not real happy but I suppose I should have done my due diligence on Adobe support before I pulled the trigger.



Sep 25, 2022 at 04:10 PM
aCuria
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes



ruthenium wrote:
I suspect that the lens development in recent years might have reached the point when the success of one's photography and satisfaction with the pictures taken are not critically dependent on the lens used, but depend mostly on the usual: light quality, subject, composition, and PP skills.
Arguably, for general photography (e.g. travel) lens choice is more a matter of convenience, or principle. A modern zoom which covers the needed focal range should work well for many if not most projects. I don't mean every project, of course.


You are not wrong but thereís a budget factor to consider:

Most people will want to shoot indoors or in the evening fairly often (especially if you have a day job), and in such situations the 2+ stops between a 24-70/2.8 and a f/1.4 or brighter prime becomes very significant.

No doubt itís more convenient to use a 24-70/2.8 GMii in the day, itís lighter than say 24mm + 50mm or 35 + 85mm primes and you donít have to switch lenses.

So in an ďunlimited budgetĒ situation you would buy both, pull out the 24-70 in the day, and the primes for indoors / evening

However if itís not reasonable get both, (and for many itís not) then I do feel a pair of primes (or even just one prime) is the better choice, simply because it enables shooting in lower light.

The 2 stop difference between f/2.8 and f/1.4 is after all more than the expected noise improvement going from full frame to a H6D medium format!

Thereís also the added benefit of getting lots of bokeh which can help get that 3D pop effect

The middle ground is to run non-overlapping primes and zooms, the 12-24 and 50GM seems like a reasonable pairing, and the 35GM + 70-200

Either way, something like the 24-70 ends up taking the back seat



Sep 26, 2022 at 01:49 PM
tzhang4284
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


Alternatively, get the 24-70mm GM II and buy a Sony 35mm f1.8 for low light, which will get the job done at night and has good pop without losing much. It's about the same cost or less on the used market as a 24mm GM and 50mm GM if we're counting budget.

I do like the GM primes but I think if I were on a budget, I'd give up the primes before I'd give up the zoom just from the versatility it gives you without having to switch lenses. I think f1.8 is plenty for most low light use cases and if you really need f1.4, then you're probably spend a lot of time doing indoor / low light photography



Sep 26, 2022 at 03:49 PM
mudlake
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes




aCuria wrote:
You are not wrong but thereís a budget factor to consider:

Most people will want to shoot indoors or in the evening fairly often (especially if you have a day job), and in such situations the 2+ stops between a 24-70/2.8 and a f/1.4 or brighter prime becomes very significant.

No doubt itís more convenient to use a 24-70/2.8 GMii in the day, itís lighter than say 24mm + 50mm or 35 + 85mm primes and you donít have to switch lenses.

So in an ďunlimited budgetĒ situation you would buy both, pull out the 24-70 in the day, and the primes
...Show more

Good points about shooting in low light.

However, I come to a different conclusion. The 24-70 is much more useful all around than one fast prime or even two. I think most of the time people shoot in good light. Weekends, vacation, etc. Yes, the fast primes are useful in low light (and I love them for that), but I almost always use them in good light for the fast aperture look. The 35 and 50 GMís are very special.

But on vacation or taking landscapes or shooting events, family group shots, large group shots, etc., Iíd much rather use the excellent 24-70GM or Sigma version.



Sep 26, 2022 at 04:28 PM
aCuria
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes




mudlake wrote:
Good points about shooting in low light.

However, I come to a different conclusion. The 24-70 is much more useful all around than one fast prime or even two. I think most of the time people shoot in good light. Weekends, vacation, etc. Yes, the fast primes are useful in low light (and I love them for that), but I almost always use them in good light for the fast aperture look. The 35 and 50 GMís are very special.

But on vacation or taking landscapes or shooting events, family group shots, large group shots, etc., Iíd much rather use
...Show more

Sounds like you have both the 24-70 and the primes, and you can pick and choose between each. That is the real optimal setupÖ pick the lens based on the situation.

My point only comes in if you can only pick ONE (for $$ reasons), would you rather:

1) ALWAYS use a 24-70/2.8 (24-85mm) even in poor light, because thatís what you have in the bag
2) be forced to ALWAYS use a prime (between 24-85mm) even in good light because thatís what you have in the bag

Imo #2 is the more palatable situation to be in for me.


And regarding cost reasons, would you rather have a 35GM + 70-200GMii, or the 24-70GMii + 35GM?



Sep 27, 2022 at 01:40 AM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


f2.8 in a 700 gram package does indeed get you most of the way there, most of the time, in most situations. Providing the zoom actually performs at prime level at f2.8, which many may harbour doubts about.

But even in zoom-friendly photography - travel is often cited - it can be the 10-15% of images that really do benefit greatly from f2 or faster. That stop at that point in the aperture range may be worth two stops elsewhere.

And this small percentage of fast aperture images you take often tend to be among the best from the outings and trips, both artistically and technically. And today's primes are already fabulous performers at f2, it not at wider apertures. Zooms are playing an eternal game of catch up, as both classes have greatly improved in the recent period.

So the paradox is this: high end prime lenses are more versatile across photographic opportunities than any zoom, as well as more discreet, tactile and pleasurable to use. In an age in which plastic slab phones are regarded by many photographers as 'good enough', it appear to come down to one's own particular standards and needs. For the mainstream, convenience is a very powerful persuader in today's instant, low effort worldview.

But it's best to never lose sight of the images even an excellent zoom costs you by your choice to use it rather than the equivalent prime. I'd find people photography to be greatly impoverished by using a zoom, so subject matter enters the equation too. With a prime, you are buying a lens for the photo opportunities you have in mind, but with a zoom you are making the various opportunities fit the lens you have fitted on the camera, for constant use.

[The above does not take into account the finer points such as character intimacy and the benefits of several styles represented in one's images taken with several primes - many would not want to lose those aspects from their portfolios.]



Sep 27, 2022 at 05:51 PM
fotografur
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


thedwp wrote:
I'm considering the 24-70GM V2...I'm seeing some pop up quite often in the B&S section. I have the 24GM, 35GM & 50GM but would like to consolidate and not have so many lenses to carry around. I'll prob keep the 50.

Any thoughts on the IQ of the zoom vs primes? I know there has to be some trade off, but carrying 2 lenses is much better than 3-4.

And finally, do you guys think people are re-selling them strictly for budget or regrettable GAS?

thanks in advance!


There is some trade off but will you notice the difference?
Some zooms are sharper than primes. The only advantage you "might" have in the prime is speed (if needed).
The advantage goes to zooms when you want to quickly change FL or the weather or conditions are not great for lens change.

And as you said if you want to carry less lenses zooms are where it's at.



Sep 27, 2022 at 07:08 PM
doc4x5
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 24-70 GM V2 vs Primes


I got the original 24-70GM when I got my A7RIII in 2017. I had been a "holy trinity" person with Nikon and owned only one or two primes. At that time Sony did not have a great lens selection but as things improved I got a bunch of primes, mostly GM's. At that time I was convinced the primes were definitively superior. The basic process with primes is different, choose the focal length, move a bit and make the image, almost always on a tripod. With zooms one stands wherever one wants and zooms. That's an oversimplification, of course, but the ability to micro adjust the composition with a slight turn of the zoom ring can be quite wonderful.

In connection with a big trip, I got the 24-70 f/2.8 GMII and am quite pleased with it. I have shot it at a couple of events, hand held, at f/2.8 and it acquitted itself quite well. My hiking kit is now the 20G, 24-70GMII, 85FE, and 135 Batis. When I'm working from the car or very short walks, I carry the primes, 24-35-50 instead. I'm still happy and my images seems not to have suffered.

In short, the GMII is a superb lens, terrific for travel or places where you do not want to change lenses, but I just cannot give up those lovely primes. I'm fortunate to be able to keep both.



Sep 27, 2022 at 07:25 PM
1
       2       3       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password