New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · DNG files with C1 & LR/PS

borden

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DNG files with C1 & LR/PS

For years I have been a Lightroom user but recently have added Capture One into my workflow for tethered shooting. This has caused a bit of a shake up with my workflow as before it was all neatly inside the Adobe Lightroom ecosystem.

After some of my recent tethered shoots in C1, I decided to cull and edit the shoots in C1 instead of importing those images into LR for editing. Some of my clients have asked for Tiffs or DNG files. Since most of my experience has been with RAW/JPG/Tiff files I was under the assumption that an exported DNG file would include all adjustments I made to that image. I was a little surprised when I tried to open a DNG file exported from C1 into Lightroom and noticed it looked off. The adjustments I had made didn’t seem to carry with the image. Now that I think of it, it makes sense as adjustments in one app would be different in another app.

So I’m looking for some final clarification on this, if any of you can help.

1 - Do adjustments in DNG files stay with the image regardless of what software is used to open/view it?

2 - What is the best way to export a RAW file to include adjustments which a client or colleague can open and continue to make adjustments regardless of software…or is that not possible? For example, if I export a DNG/RAW with adjustments from C1 and a client opens it in Photoshop or Lightroom what will they see?

3 - Is there any recommended way of working with both C1 and Adobe to ensure my final images include the adjustments I’ve made and are carried with the files?

4 - If I supply a client with an exported DNG file that I’ve made adjustments to, without knowing what software they’re using, how do I know they are seeing the photo they way I intended it to be seen?

Any clarification would help. Thanks!

Sep 22, 2022 at 03:41 PM
graycat
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DNG files with C1 & LR/PS

I have never used Capture 1, only Lightroom. I may be wrong, but I think a DNG is an Adobe RAW file. My recollection is that Adobe created the DNG in an effort to standardize RAW files across all manufacturers. It never really caught on. So, given that a DNG is a RAW file, Lightroom makes thumbnails of them and the DNG is never altered.

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:12 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DNG files with C1 & LR/PS

Firstly, don't give a client your DNG files... It is the same as giving them Raw files with a set of notes.

You ask if they translate across different processors (C-1 / LR). The answer is - a bit...

LR and C-1 have quite different interpretations of colour, profiles, and even exposure. So whilst the same file in either may show +1 stop exposure, they may not look the same brightness.

There are also the unique adjustment features to each software that won't translate properly. So if you've got adjustment layers, most likely these won't translate. And things like only using luminosity in the curves with C-1 may not pass over so well either.

Think of a DNG as a possible starting point when sending from LR to C-1. But don't expect it to get very close to a good match. Alas it isn't like opening a TIFF file in Affinity / PS where (except unique plugins and features on smart objects), they'll look much the same.

When I made the transition for LR to C-1, I just kept my old copy of LR-5 that I'd been using and keep those Raw files in a LR Raw folder. And I started a new separate Raw folder for C-1 projects. So if it is an old project and it isn't in the C-1 library, I'll go to LR and open it up from there.

Sep 28, 2022 at 01:10 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.