1       2      
       end

RF 24-105 question

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · RF 24-105 question

AmbientMike wrote:
One website tested the older EF 24-105 and got 50-55 lp/mm IIRC. So that's good enough, probably even to print large, but there are sharper lenses out there.

So I suspect there's more a difference of opinion on whether a lens is sharp or not, depending on what you compare it to and your definition of sharp than copy variations. It's kind of in that good enough but not great range. 50mm lenses generally get 63 lp/mm and up on the old tests, some lenses over 80lp/mm, and occasionally something is 90lp/mm.
But 24-105 v1 really quite large range, most
...Show more

I have used most of the EF lenses back to the 28-70/2.8 and also the 24-105/4 RF. The main differences between overall opinions depend mostly on the three factors:

1. Focal length where the lens is tested
  2. Aperture where the lens is tested
  3. Relative importance of the MTF and aberrations as a function of radial distance from the frame center

Some sites are interested in center to corner for landscapes at smallish apertures and others care about wide open humanoid portraits for example, and will have very different IQ evaluations of the same lens.

EBH

Edited on Oct 09, 2022 at 11:51 AM · View previous versions

Oct 09, 2022 at 11:44 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · RF 24-105 question

The V1 EF 24-105-F4L was "known" for a variation in IQ.

I thought mine was quite good, but not near that of my EF 16-35F4L (My only EF keeper).

I find my RF 24-105F4L to be notably sharper than my previous EF.

Oct 09, 2022 at 11:49 AM
rustum

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · RF 24-105 question

SameerTuladhar wrote:
I don't know about the RF 24-70 f/2.8 vs EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, but I had the 24-70 f/4 version which I wasn't happy with except for food photography. I do events too (family/group) but the f/4 never had that 'oomph'. I sold it and started saving for the RF 24-70 f/2.8 (I use an EOS R). A friend of mine wanted to sell his EF 24-70 f/2.8L II and I grabbed it for $500 (!!). It had a small scratch on the lens (which doesn't show up even at f/11) and the hood was missing.

Compared to the f/4,
...Show more

Thanks for the information. I was thinking about moving from RP to R. I am not sure if I notice any improvement with R over RP except battery life. Now thinking about getting a 2.8 version of walk around zoom for taking family and group pictures. I thought about upgrading from 24-70mm f/4 to other f/4 zooms. But pics from 24-70mm f/4 zoom felt pretty sharp and exceeded my requirements.

Oct 09, 2022 at 04:36 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password