New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Need a Fresh Perspective...

jbear
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Need a Fresh Perspective...

Appreciate your take..
I honestly don't have any interest in Z, I'm not concerned about obsolescence, and weight isn't a problem for me.
The ability to travel with the PF does appeal though.

Sep 23, 2022 at 09:22 PM
groob
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Need a Fresh Perspective...

If you’re not constantly in need of more focal length, then I’d grab the 400mm f/2.8. It’s subject isolation is second to none and will make your subjects stand out more than the other lenses, giving you a different look than you can already achieve. Getting a 500mm f/5.6 will result in images that look just like those shot with your 200-500. Is the PF more portable? Sure, but portability doesn’t sound like much of an issue for you. I, like you, find concerns about weight to be overblown, although one of the 11 lb. behemoths would probably make me think twice. I can carry my 7 lb. 500mm f/4 AF-S II all day, but I wouldn’t want to carry a lens that weights >50% more, like the pre-E FL versions of the 400mm lens. So, if you can swing the 400mm FL, I’d get it. Everyone seems to believe that the 400mm f/2.8 lenses are without peer. Why not give one a try?

Sep 23, 2022 at 09:31 PM
outermagnolian

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Need a Fresh Perspective...

It might make your choice easier to note that the 400mm f/2.8 with 1.4TC is absurdly hard to come by. I'm one of many who ordered the day it was released in mid-January and have now waited nine months with no word as to when, if ever, it might be shipped. A few NPS members have them and post their enviable photos here but I've been unable to find one even from an eBay scalper.

Feel free to want one but don't count on seeing one any time soon.

Sep 24, 2022 at 01:51 PM
jbear
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Need a Fresh Perspective...

I don't think we're talking about the same lens. Not interested in the newest or ML.

Sep 24, 2022 at 01:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CKrueger
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Need a Fresh Perspective...

It sounds to me like you have everything you could possibly need? You have a long/fast lens, a short/fast lens, a long zoom, and a compact tele. You also have the best DSLR bodies you could hope for.

I agree with others that by far the biggest improvement you could make would be a Z9. Its AF, buffer performance, viewfinder, and electronic shutter are significant upgrades. It's also considerably cheaper than adding a 600/4 or 400/2.8. But you don't want a Z9--and that's fine--so scratch that off the list.

I think you should spend money on a once-in-a-lifetime photography vacation. You're not wanting for gear in the slightest. Go to Africa, or Iceland, or spend a fall season chasing migratory birds. Blowing a ton of cash to make your 500/4 or 300/2.8 slightly longer isn't going to make much difference.

If you're dead-set on gear, I suggest you aim at some other photographic discipline that you might have less-covered. Closeups? Portraiture? Sports? Infrared?

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:41 AM
jbear
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Need a Fresh Perspective...

Decided on a very reasonably priced used 500PF...won't inhibit any travel plans, and may actually enhance them.
Thank you to all who provided a take. It seems like that will be fun to try. If I don't dig it...I'll sell it again.

Sep 29, 2022 at 09:50 AM
aboutthelight
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Need a Fresh Perspective...

I am sure you will love that lens. I still think it is the best value lens ever made.

Sep 29, 2022 at 12:04 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password