New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Xh2 vs 50sii

gabe212

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Xh2 vs 50sii

Do you think they will yield similar results? Or will the gfx still have a big advantage?

Sep 22, 2022 at 07:52 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Xh2 vs 50sii

I only have 50MP GFX50s, 100MP GFX100s and 61MP Sony A7riV and to my eyes, GFX50s better than Sony. Sold my Sony after 2 yrs of side by side with the GFX as GFX100s finally gave me usable AF (not as good as Sony but usable). I have no clue about this new sensor in the XH2. I assume it will be good, GFX good, not sure. I will wait for some reviews. But nothing beats your own testing as unless you are happy, who cares what others think. So if you can afford, try both and keep what you like more.

Sep 22, 2022 at 08:29 AM
CKrueger
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Xh2 vs 50sii

Is there any way you can shoot a GFX camera briefly to test for yourself? We all have opinions here, but I think this is really a personal choice that is difficult to make based on othersí opinions.

I tested a GFX50SII against my Z9, which I consider similar on paper. Despite having better lenses on the Z9, I liked the GFX images better. There was a no real resolution difference, but I found the GFX files could be pushed and pulled further without noise or affecting color. The same was true to an even greater degree compared to my XT4.

Itís a very difficult thing for me to quantify, and I donít want to blow smoke up your nose about some magic fairy dust that GFX cameras might have. I came away from my experiment with a GFX100S, and I will now shoot things that move with my Z9, and things that donít move with my GFX100S. But Iíll be the first to admit: itís a giant money pit, and Iím the only one who sees the difference.

Sep 22, 2022 at 09:01 AM
inkinutz
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Xh2 vs 50sii

With the MP being similar, what you end up getting are massively larger pixels on the GFX 50 sensor. At the very least, this will give the GFX a cleaner read out. But the sensor size may not be the most important factor. You'll need to take into account the ergonomics, handling, lenses, cost, etc, etc.

When I switched to the X-T2 from Canon all those years back, I was so happy that my 35mm 1.4 and other 1.4 Fuji primes cost just a fraction of Canon equivalents. It's even more true now that Canon has revamped their entire line and increased all their prices.

But I totally understand that "Medium Format Look" is oh so enticing. That's why I recently got the GFX100S. It's a totally different shooting experience. The files are sooooo darn good. But even so, I'm still weighing if the tradeoffs are worth it. Only time will tell.

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:30 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Xh2 vs 50sii

gabe212 wrote:
Do you think they will yield similar results? Or will the gfx still have a big advantage?

These are quite different cameras. One simple way of looking at it is that there would be no need for the GFX series if the x-trans cameras could yield similar results and vice versa. This goes beyond image quality to various other aspects of functionality including available lenses, speed of operation, cost, and more.

Dan

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:01 PM
johnvanr
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Xh2 vs 50sii

Generally, bigger pixels translate to nicer IQ, so 50mp on MF should look better than 40mp on APS-C or 61mp on FF.

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:26 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Xh2 vs 50sii

I have both GFX50s and GFX100s so 100MP should be worse but is better. Each gen of the sensor also has better tech and from the experts more MP means less aliasing etc though I never had issues with the 50MP.

Sep 22, 2022 at 04:06 PM
AZSteve

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Xh2 vs 50sii

bobby350z wrote:
I have both GFX50s and GFX100s so 100MP should be worse but is better. Each gen of the sensor also has better tech and from the experts more MP means less aliasing etc though I never had issues with the 50MP.

It's reliably reported that, owing to the design of the microlenses, the effective aperture of the pixels of the 50-series cameras is not appreciably larger than those on the 100-series cameras, hence your observation that the 100-series aren't "worse."

Sep 22, 2022 at 04:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

olegkin

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Xh2 vs 50sii

Advantage in what? Absolute quality of the image? Size? Weight? Autofocus? Available lenses?
I imagine it is about absolute quality of the image. Do you shoot kids or landscape? Quality of image is nothing if you cannot get subject in focus reliably. If it is macro, smaller sensor has advantage of bigger DoF, but also earlier effects of diffraction. The same is true about landscapes.
If absolute quality of image of a brick wall at f/8 is important I imagine gfx will be leading, at least at high iso.
As always when in doubt, get both, keep what you like, sell what you did not like.

I expect Sony will make a full-frame ~90mpx camera soon with about the same pixel size as gh2. I bet the quality will be outstanding. Does it change any decision for you?

Sep 22, 2022 at 04:45 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Xh2 vs 50sii

gabe212 wrote:

I assume this is a joke...

Sep 22, 2022 at 06:08 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Xh2 vs 50sii

To put it simply, either could be the best thing for some kinds of photography.

The question is a little bit like asking, "Which is the better vehicle, a pickup truck or a sedan?"

Dan

Sep 22, 2022 at 07:09 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Xh2 vs 50sii

olegkin wrote:
If it is macro, smaller sensor has advantage of bigger DoF, but also earlier effects of diffraction. The same is true about landscapes.

I'm afraid this is not correct, at least not technically. While a smaller sensor is convenient for macro due to higher pixel density and smaller available entrance pupil sizes (think equivalence), you can get the same DOF and thus the same diffraction impact with any sensor size. Provided it's possible to stop down enough.

When you stop down the lens on a larger sensor to get the same DOF as you would have used on a smaller sensor, diffraction will be the same per image height. Which is the only important factor for the final image. This applies both to macro and landscapes. Most GF lenses go to f/32, which is roughly equivalent to f/16 on APS-C (two full stops).
Then of course you would need 2x higher magnification for macro on the larger sensor, if you want to fill the frame with a certain object when shooting macro. Which is a real drawback.

Sep 23, 2022 at 03:29 AM
olegkin

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Xh2 vs 50sii

Makten wrote:
I'm afraid this is not correct, at least not technically. While a smaller sensor is convenient for macro due to higher pixel density and smaller available entrance pupil sizes (think equivalence), you can get the same DOF and thus the same diffraction impact with any sensor size. Provided it's possible to stop down enough.

When you stop down the lens on a larger sensor to get the same DOF as you would have used on a smaller sensor, diffraction will be the same per image height. Which is the only important factor for the final image. This applies both to
...Show more

You are right. But on the other hand you don't buy GFX to shoot iso3200 on a sunny day because you need f/32 to photograph a flower. I did it though, it looked good

Sep 23, 2022 at 07:02 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Xh2 vs 50sii

olegkin wrote:
You are right. But on the other hand you don't buy GFX to shoot iso3200 on a sunny day because you need f/32 to photograph a flower. I did it though, it looked good

Noise will also be roughly the same when DOF is the same, if the sensors are of similar age. Which they of course in this case are not.
Anyway, my point is still that there is no general "DOF advantage" to a smaller sensor.

Same amount of collected photons = same DOF = same diffraction (per image height) = same noise level, at a certain angle of view, regardless of sensor size.
In theory. In practice, there are differences because of the age and technology of the sensors.

Sep 23, 2022 at 08:47 AM
amci4
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Xh2 vs 50sii

Not even close.

So, here's the thing. If you look at the GFX50S/R/SII samples, and you pay attention to the EXIF data, then you start to realize many of those ISO 1600 images look as clean as the ISO 160 Images from the current Fuji X bodies. I do not expect that to get better with the 40 MP sensor, even if the detail is close at lower ISO.

Sep 23, 2022 at 09:24 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password