Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

sundial40

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

I currently use two different camera body designs. A Panasonic GX8 and a Sony A7R4. I have come to find I am more at home with the GX 8 body design than with the more traditional SLR design as represented by the Sony A7R4. I am only referring to the shape of the camera body and not its features and functionality. Given that the modern electronic camera is not limited by needing an optical path and prism, I have to ask why that SLR design is still so so common. I personally find the GX8 body design preferable because it seems to fit my hand better that my Sony Camera, and as rectangle with no "hump" for an ersatz prism, it fits more conveniently, IMHO, into various camera bags that I use. Of course, the conventional SLR and more brick like GX8, are not the only two design options for the modern electronic camera. I would be interested in the reaction of others, to this question of camera body shape.

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:29 PM
laterplease

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

I think some of it has to do with the expected insecurities of newcomers to any field. The “SLR” is a known and respected form. Going with a body design frequently associated with a camera company you've never heard of has risks.

Sep 22, 2022 at 07:12 AM
sundial40

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

Good point.

Sep 22, 2022 at 08:38 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

The design of a SLR body is long established and refined as the best way to get the necessary buttons and dials that many demanding photographers require. The rangefinder style of the GX8, like the Sony A7C, is just not for me because of the lack of buttons and the front control dial, which I use every time I hold my camera. Plus with the much higher MP EVF that the A7R4 has, and now the same 5.74MP on my OM-1, it helps my older eyes get a better indication of what my photos will look like.

I tried the A7C but it just did not feel right to me. Sure it is a bit smaller and more compact, but that is not what I want from my camera bodies. I want to be able to quickly control the features I need and the added buttons and dual control dials of a SLR style body allows for this. You and many others feel the rangefinder style design is fine and that is what works best for you. Good to have choices!

Sep 22, 2022 at 08:58 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

I always liked the Leica M form factor and the Fuji X-Pro for (right eye) landscape shooting but for portrait shots they are less happy. The viewfinder in the middle approach makes shooting either format roughly the same experience (for both left and right eye shooters) and the advent of the SLR cemented this preference for most people.

Sep 22, 2022 at 09:20 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

I can shoot with either body style. I don't really care.

Sep 22, 2022 at 09:28 AM
padrelar
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

As a left eye shooter I prefer the rangefinder style. Cameras are designed for the right-eyed, right handed shooter so in an slr configuration really important things are on the right side back which for a left eyed shooter is literally in my face. Portrait shooting mitigates this but adjustments when landscape shooting are awful.

Sep 22, 2022 at 09:50 AM
Woody Meristem

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

I shot an SLR for 30 years and got very used to having the viewfinder in line with my telephoto lenses.When I tried a rangefinder-style it just didn't seem right so I'm back to SLR-style with Olympus cameras.

Oct 10, 2022 at 04:51 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

I prefer GX8 style shape for several reasons:

- They take up less space in the bag, particularly without a lens.
- They can be placed upside down on a table for change of battery, fitting mounting plates etc.
- I prefer having the viewfinder at the extreme left corner.
- I see no ergonomic advantages with the G9 body.

For paid work, I mostly use 2 x GX8 and 1 x G9. If I had 3 x G9, I would need a larger camera bag. I wishPanasonic could launch a GX8 II with most of the features of the G9 and/or something along the lines of the new Sony FX30. The FX30 would be so suitable for my video work that I actually consider purchasing one.

Oct 10, 2022 at 08:00 PM
doady
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

Rangefinder style like GX8 is the more traditional one, isn't it? I find it more useful for street photography, being less "pro", it attracts less attention from people.

To me, the SLR style always seemed superficial for mirrorless, but there are practical reasons as Woody Meristem points out, the viewfinder being on the same plane as the lens can help with framing the subject. The Olympus bodies take this even further, not only putting the EVF on the same plane as the lens, but making sure the LCD is on the same plane as well.

Oct 10, 2022 at 08:16 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

The viewfinder hump is actually functional on mirrorless.

None of the RF-style cameras have competitive finders because of space issues, you don't have as much space to stuff the optics for the viewfinder in. The hump gives space for larger viewfinder optics which is why all the large EVF cameras with top-notch finders are SLR style. Removing the mirror didn't remove the need for optics between the panel/focusing screen and the eyeball.

Oct 28, 2022 at 09:22 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

I use left-eye focus and have used dozens of SLR cameras over the last 50+ years and never had a problem with their designs.

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:36 AM
leolab
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera body design - SLR or ?

mawz wrote:
The viewfinder hump is actually functional on mirrorless.

None of the RF-style cameras have competitive finders because of space issues, you don't have as much space to stuff the optics for the viewfinder in. The hump gives space for larger viewfinder optics which is why all the large EVF cameras with top-notch finders are SLR style. Removing the mirror didn't remove the need for optics between the panel/focusing screen and the eyeball.

The GX8 has one of the best EVFs i have ever used and is RF styled…however to your point, the RF style body has to be tall enough to accommodate the EVF optics and thus the GX8 is a large body.

I wonder what design camera companies would come up with if told that the rear screen can be shrunk so that the large EVF can be accommodated is an RF body…a photocentric/EVF centric mirrorless…Ditch the video so no need for heat sinks and the like and just shrink camera in RF form to a big bright evf and a decent FF sensor with IBIS, everything else being subservient to those needs

Oct 31, 2022 at 07:57 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.