New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Best Method for Selling Equipment?

snegron7
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Method for Selling Equipment?

I have been accumulating stuff for years, mostly Nikon stuff. I know we have a buy and sell section here on FM, but I am not very comfortable with selling my stuff online.

A couple of years ago I posted several items on FB marketplace, but all I got were super lowball offers or people wanting to trade for their garbage.

I looked into getting a quote from KEH, but I have heard stories that sometimes you'll get way less than what they offered.

Fleabay is 100% out of the question; too many scammers.

Any suggestions?

Sep 21, 2022 at 06:37 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Method for Selling Equipment?

Never sold to KEH, and pretty much is going to be the same story with any similar buying used gear - they buy to resell, so offer will be always lower - never heard such thing with KEH. Other s do provide a written contract/sale bill, that it's very clear about what is being bought and for our much.

Craig's List it's an option ...of sorts - meaning, likely better than FB marketplace, but you will get lowball offers too

Some photo stores sell on consignment, but ofcourse they take a sale percentage.

I still think FM is the best place and safest

Sep 21, 2022 at 07:31 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Method for Selling Equipment?

I haven't sold much in a few years.
I'd say for selling, my experiences with established FMers has been exemplary. That goes for buying as well. Just a great gang of long term members who have good feedback and are willing to make a reasonable person happy with an honest deal.
Companies tend to low ball you, so you'll be tempted by the ebay route but I wouldn't sell anything of high value on ebay. Not worth the potential aggravation even if you can afford the financial loss.

Sep 21, 2022 at 08:39 AM
tersono

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Method for Selling Equipment?

I have never had a problem with "scammers" on Fleabay. In fact, I don't even know how you would do it (systematically) as a buyer.

Out of probably 200 transactions I've had last year, only one ended up being problematic. The buyer did not want to pay sales tax. I reported it to Fleabay, and it was quickly and painlessly resolved. Fleabay protects you pretty well from unfounded chargebacks - you just have to ship in timely manner and describe your stuff honestly. It is also super convenient to ship stuff - you can buy pre-addressed USPS labels at commercial rate, cheaper than at the Post Office.

One disadvantage of Fleabay is that it can be expensive, with final value fees on the order of 12% (see here https://www.ebayfeescalculator.com/usa-ebay-calculator/). It is well worth it for some items, especially one-of-a-kind where you can hope for a bidding war. Maybe not so much for generic stuff where you compete against 20 other sellers.

I've had very good success with some of my sales on local Craigslist. This year I Craigslisted a 8-year-old D800E body to a guy who is the official photog for Def Leppard when they were in town. One of his bodies failed and he was looking for a replacement. Pretty cool!

Main disadvantage of CL is that you have to deal with cash. A lot of it, and in 100$ bills too. Also, you will get a lot of terrible lowball offers (and I mean a lot).

The community at FM is also great for selling and buying. I've sold a few items recently, and had some very nice interactions. The buy/sell membership is a pretty good deal compared to Fleabay.

KEH are very much OK if you have the right expectations and do research. First, get their quoted prices for the item condition as you evaluate it, and 1-2 grades below. Then look at Fleabay and Amazon used. Use the 1-2 grades below number as a guidance. If KEH offer is within ~10% of Fleabay/Amazon average, absolutely send it to KEH. This will be true for many (though not all) items. For example, I recently unloaded a Mamiya RZ kit likely for more than I could have gotten for it privately. They evaluate and pay quickly, and the process is very convenient.

Two main issues with KEH. First, they will not give you a reasonable/sane offer for everything. For example, they can offer $1 for a genuine B+W 77mm filter, or $400-ish for a Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 G. Even with Fleabay fees you will make way more. So do your research. The other issue is the business model/modus operandi. Usually (though not always) they will grade your items as 1-2 grades below your own appraisal. This is how they justify paying you less than you expected. Again, if you do your research and have realistic expectations, this is not a big deal. Just assume you will make a bit below Fleabay or private sale, but it will be quick and easy.

Finally, two methods I DO NOT recommend.

Don't do Amazon. Quite easy to get scammed there. Amazon assumes the buyer is always right, so you have to accept returns up to a month after the sale. There are stories of people receiving boxes with bricks. More often people could just be annoying and/or unreasonable. Their website is poorly designed (for sellers) and is confusing.

Last but not least, never ever do Adorama. I've recently documented my experience with them on this very board. They ask you to ship your stuff to them, then give you an extremely lowball offer after a month of waiting. In my case, they also smashed my stuff when they shipped it back, and I had to involve the BBB (and was contemplating court action).

So there you have it

Sep 21, 2022 at 09:13 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Method for Selling Equipment?

Honestly, I've tried most of what you mentioned and selling here on FM is by far my best experience. You'll still get lowball offers, but sometimes you have to manage your expectations, especially when dealing with older equipment. Just stick to selling to established members and you'll be fine. USPS flat rate shipping is an awesome way to go to minimize shipping expenses, and I would recommend you include shipping and fees in your price to eliminate the unknown factors for your buyers.

Otherwise, good luck with CL, Ebay, FB, OfferUp, etc. More flakes in those marketplaces than a snowstorm....

Greg

Edited on Sep 21, 2022 at 09:37 PM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2022 at 09:35 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Method for Selling Equipment?

I've also never had an issue selling on eBay, fees are high but the convenience and vast pool of buyers compared to Craigslist or buy and sell on FM is worth it to me.

Try mpb.com, you can get a quote instantly on their website. I've sold a few things to them and depending on the item you might get more than using eBay. Their grading system is pretty clear and they've always paid the original quoted price when I've used them.

Sep 21, 2022 at 09:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Method for Selling Equipment?

snegron7 wrote:
I have been accumulating stuff for years, mostly Nikon stuff. I know we have a buy and sell section here on FM, but I am not very comfortable with selling my stuff online.

I have had 145 successful transactions on FM since 2008: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/feedback/27146

Safer than Craigslist, Facebook, etc. Will use eBay if I can't sell item here or find here.

Otherwise, walk into a retail photo store and get bottom dollar for your Nikon gear. Your choice.

Sep 22, 2022 at 08:14 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Method for Selling Equipment?

snegron7 wrote:

A couple of years ago I posted several items on FB marketplace, but all I got were super lowball offers or people wanting to trade for their garbage.

I looked into getting a quote from KEH, but I have heard stories that sometimes you'll get way less than what they offered.

Fleabay is 100% out of the question; too many scammers.

Any suggestions?

Are you uncomfortable selling you own stuff because you have tried and had poor experiences or because you don't have much experience doing it? Why not try listing a couple less expensive items here and see what happens?

Bottom line is that you are going to get more money in the end if you sell something yourself directly to the final buyer. But you need to put in the effort to make it a positive experience for yourself and the buyer.

Likewise, you can just send one item to KEH or B&H or adorama and see how that goes. Putting a reseller into the equation means they need to make money too so you are ending up with less. But you don't have to put in much effort. That's the tradeoff.

Sep 22, 2022 at 06:48 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Method for Selling Equipment?

IMO, there is no better place to deal with selling (or buying) used equipment than right here on FM. As mentioned, just stick to selling to established members. Yup, you have to put in the effort to post, accept payments and ship via the UPS store or what ever shipping service you prefer. Been doing it for a number of years and never had an issue.

Sep 27, 2022 at 07:52 AM
Iman113
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Method for Selling Equipment?

I sold a number of lenses and cameras this year. Best option for me was FM!

Sep 27, 2022 at 07:59 AM
paul weston
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Method for Selling Equipment?

Here on FM and kiji locally if needed

Sep 27, 2022 at 09:31 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Method for Selling Equipment?

If you don't want to sell your stuff online, then, it has to be in person..how else you think you could sell your used items if not online..... you can post your ads here and requiring local trades/sales ONLY.

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:45 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password