Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       end

Archive 2022 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

SrMi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

agrumpyoldsod wrote:
As seems to be the style these days we get the camera with ready for release firmware but with not all the capabilities turned on -- these could be because the manufacturer is not yet ready (like AF tracking) or that it is a capability that the manufacturer has not yet "discovered" it needs to provide. The X2D clearly has a number of not-yet turned on capabilities that were in the X1D-ii -- here is my list and we end users simply do not know what is possible with the X2D-100C:

1. Continuous Auto-Focus
  2. Eye/Face tracking AF
  3. Automated in-camera focus stacking (or Bracketing
  4. ability to use a trigger connected via bluetooth
  5. better support for the full range of Profoto heads/speedlights (including B10/B10x/B10 plus/B10x plus) and the new Profoto Connect Pro trigger/transceiver (I have had less issues since upgrading the firmware on my Profoto heads) and Bron Control system (Karl Taylor seemed to have no issues)
  6. I would like to be able to record Exif data when using non-hasselblad lenses and technical systems (by entering them into the camera)
  7. on-board GPS - if there is please turn it on -- if there is not then I want to jam GPS location data from a smart device into the camera so it is written onto each file save in camera
  8. live view support for tethering and Focus Stacking or Bracketing while tethered while using Phocus and Phocus Mobile
  9. ability to save in a range of file formats with and without compression (lossless or otherwise)

All these have been submitted to Hasselblad support. We have been "promised"an update to Phocus Mobile that will enable use/control of the X2D-100C with Smart devices in Autumn 2022 - well we are now in the Autumn. So hopefully this will happen soon. Phocus was updated to firmware 3.7 which provided support for the X2D-100C and the 3 new lenses. One can now Phocus Stack tethered using the controls in the Capture Sequencer -- but it does not work automatically yet apparently we need a firmware update for the camera as well.
As to Video -- no thanks, but presumably the presence of a microphone and speaker on the camera means that it is possible.
I doubt there is an
...Show more

Camera manufacturers are pressed to ship as early as possible. That means that some features will be added later. If a new camera does not have the needed features, I would postpone the purchase until the update has arrived.
AFAIK, Hasselblad has confirmed the following for the next FW update:
- focus bracketing
- tracking
- continuous focus
- (probably) focus peaking
- LV tethering

AFAIK, they have also confirmed that there is no GPS in the camera and that video will never be enabled in X2D.

Sep 25, 2022 at 10:33 AM
DFason
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

Have you thought about a Q and Sony?
I tried to justify a M but my A1,A7C are both my work horse for work. I use the Q as a fun camera and to scratch the it with a Leica. The MF on the Q is fantastic. Like another user said the Sony 40mm is a really fun and small lens for the Sony system.

ArchnemeSwiss wrote:
I got a Leica M11 and Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f2 v2 last week. I'm new to rangefinders but not new to photography. It's been decades since I shot with a manual focus camera. I love the size of the M system and the colors coming out of the M11 are just spectacular. My motivation for the purchase was to get a super-compact system with very high image quality in a well-built package that I could take everywhere with me.

That said, I am struggling with my eyeglasses and the 35mm framelines in the viewfinder being hard to see. And of
...Show more

Sep 25, 2022 at 01:01 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

So by the time you get to an X2D with a 38 f2.5 V lens, you're not any taller than an M11 with EVF, the body is about 200g heavier, and your lens (without hood) is roughly comparable in length to a 35 Summilux with hood. But you get 100mpx, IBIS, AF, and eye relief that works with glasses. For comparison, the water in an 8oz cup weighs about the same as the weight difference between the X2D and M11 bodies. That's not much for someone like me who weighs 220lbs!

I think your illustration proves a good point - both cameras are excellent, and their size with the lenses you mention is bearable. If it is the flexibility of huge resolution for cropping that you want, then either would be perfect, and just ignore the below.

I use a Leica M246 Monochrom and a 35 Summilux asph a great deal of the time, and though I have other Leica lenses, that is what I use most of the time. It is a wonderful combination, which I can use quickly, and even wearing glasses I can see just enough outside the viewfinder frame to give me a sense of something entering the scene. All great. I have no intention of getting rid of this camera lens combination. I also have a Sony A7rIV, with, among others, the Sigma 35/2 and the CV 40/1.2, both stunning lenses. But the set-up is bulky.

Now I will say something about a different camera, which does not compare in resolution to the two cameras you mention, or the two above, but has almost all the other attributes you seem to want - small, light, 35mm lens, optical viewfinder framing, AF, plus eye AF with the EVF - a one camera solution if you do not need the highest resolution.

It is the Fuji X100V, which I also own and use extensively. This is significantly smaller and lighter than the Leica - jacket pocketable - and has great IQ, though only 26mp (enough for almost everything I do). The hybrid viewfinder and the framing for the optical finder mean that it is both very flexible in use, and I can see outside the frame very comfortably - far better than the Leica at 35mm. It is also AF, which is quick and reliable, has a tilting rear screen, has a leaf shutter (which almost mitigates the need for IBIS), and a very good built in flash. It really is a camera to carry with you, and for almost everything is faster and more accurate than the Leica. It really is a great camera, and often makes me wonder why I carry the Leica and Summilux, let alone the Sony.

Sep 25, 2022 at 01:53 PM
ArchnemeSwiss
• •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

wolfloid wrote:
I think your illustration proves a good point - both cameras are excellent, and their size with the lenses you mention is bearable. If it is the flexibility of huge resolution for cropping that you want, then either would be perfect, and just ignore the below.

I use a Leica M246 Monochrom and a 35 Summilux asph a great deal of the time, and though I have other Leica lenses, that is what I use most of the time. It is a wonderful combination, which I can use quickly, and even wearing glasses I can see just enough outside the viewfinder
...Show more

I know this is obnoxious on my part, but part of what puts me off of the X100V is the smaller sensor and the attendant effects on DoF, leaving aside the lens. Being able to separate subjects into distinct planes of focus matters to me, and the DoF on the X100V is just so much deeper than an equivalent FF or MFD system when we're talking apples to apples. Like 60% more in focus at 6 feet and max aperture. I'd also considered the Ricoh GRIII in both the 28mm and 40mm equivalent options and decided it just wasn't right for me for that reason. I realize not everyone cares as much about this and I certainly know that there are very, very good photographers using those cameras. I am just not sure they're for me.

Sep 25, 2022 at 06:07 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

ArchnemeSwiss wrote:
I know this is obnoxious on my part, but part of what puts me off of the X100V is the smaller sensor and the attendant effects on DoF, leaving aside the lens. Being able to separate subjects into distinct planes of focus matters to me, and the DoF on the X100V is just so much deeper than an equivalent FF or MFD system when we're talking apples to apples. Like 60% more in focus at 6 feet and max aperture. I'd also considered the Ricoh GRIII in both the 28mm and 40mm equivalent options and decided it just wasn't right
...Show more

It depends on the use case. For street, the extra depth of field can be nice. For other work, it can be a minus.

I shoot MFT, FF but also have both the GRIII and the X100V. All have their purpose (as long as their overall size doesn’t bug me).

Sep 25, 2022 at 07:10 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

The lens on the X100V is now good at f2, but you are absolutely right, focus separation even at f2 cannot compare to that of the Leica and 35 Summilux at f1.4, which is why I keep it.

However, for most fast street work it is unlikely that anyone would use f1.4 with the Leica - even pre-focusing is very unlikely to work well without some quantity of pure luck. For that you’d need to go back to the Sony A1 and the GM 35/1.4, and also very quick reflexes.

Sep 26, 2022 at 04:24 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

I have a beautiful SL2S I am willing to part with for an M11.

Sep 28, 2022 at 11:14 AM
paratom

p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

I have used all those systems.
For me M is unbeaten in regards of compact camera and I love the manual focusing and the handling and the OVF.

The x2d (I only have used x1d and x1dII) system adds AF, but it doesn't feel any faster if not slower than the Leica M.
IQ is great in regards of color and tonality, beats the M in this regard IMO. So you gain some IQ (even though the M11 delivers as well), but you also "gain " some weight.

The SL2(s) handles much faster than the x1d. Here you can rely on eye focus, can use zooms a nd tele, and even the little M lenses. However the camera doesn't feel as manual, light, simple as a Leica M.
It is a very flexible do it all camera system.

if you want instant AF, action, sports etc. a Sony A1/A9 might allow that. Personally I rather use Canon R. I am not a Sony fan, had a A7r and A7sand A7II but never felt in love with the handling and colors.
it would be my last choice.

In the end I would stay with what you bought (M) and give it a chance.
Also Leica SL and M go very good together. I wouldn't go back to Sony. The Hassy will increase IQ slightly but will not make you faster.

Dec 13, 2022 at 03:57 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

3 things.

1. If you can't see well enough and need AF then you can't see well enough and need AF. However do not confuse "I literally can't see well enough and need AF" with "I can see the patch just fine but don't know how to focus manually yet". Not saying which one you are doing but just saying.

2. The M system is never the ONE system. You will always need something else for long tele, macro, wide open portraits with a sub f/2 80-100mm lens. So don't see it as either/or.

3. Some lenses that have been a revelation to me: 50/2.8 Elmar-M, ZM 28/2.8, ZM 21/4.5. What's great with these slower lenses is how liberating it is to not worry about accurate focus. Of course you can't do certain shots with them but they do make you realise what a crutch an f/1.4 lens is.

Good luck in your decision, no right or wrong here. This is all personal opinions and preferences.

Dec 13, 2022 at 05:32 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

Since we now have the x2D and I have all three.

The X2D is much faster than the X1D (and M11) but not as quick as the SL2 in use, AF etc. Except for downloading files where the X2D blitzes the others.

The X2D files are astounding. Even to the Leica 50mm APO’s (SL and M) the gap is obvious.

The Leica M feels MUCH smaller than the X2D or SL2, which feel close with the X2D feeling a bit/noticably smaller depending on whether you choose the 65 or 55. The X2D is heavier than the X1DII. Not by a lot but I notice it as I still have my X1DII.

All the cameras are fabulous to use but the X2D has the X factor. The combination of the inbuilt memory, IBIS and that glorious viewfinder make it a camera you REALLY want to pick up. I know the SL2 and M11 will come back into use but I’ve hardly used them since getting the X2D.

Zone and manual focus with the new XCD-V lenses is easy.

I have used the X1D/X1DII all over the world as a travel and street camera. The X2D will just make this more appealing.

The X2D still needs a bunch of features implemented. But it’s NEVER going to focus like a Sony or a Canon. CAF will come but it’ll be OK at best and I see a lot of whinging from unrealistic expectations when the new firmware arrives. As it is it’s mostly still slightly slower than my GFX100S.

I can still focus an M without aids, although my closer vision is slowly deteriorating. If my vision was not able to use the RF my M experience would be ruined, for me. I’d immediately switch to the X2D with either the 38V or 55V. Since the X2D was released that’s what I’ve been doing and it’s just fun.

Gordon

Dec 14, 2022 at 02:25 PM
ebornstein

p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

To the OP, so where have you landed or in what direction are you leaning?
I have a very similar issue. I have both a Sony system and the M11. I really love the M for its output, somehow my M photos always make me smile, especially with the 35 APO M.

I travel a lot and have used the A1 and A7RIV a ton for Safari, etc but for walking around I really enjoy the M with the 35. I do struggle with the framing more than focus, I can see the patch and get clean images but I spend a fair amount of time looking around in the view finder to make sure I have what I want in the frame.

The other issue for me is switching lenses, when I am walking around I really don’t enjoy switching lenses and often just ignore the urge, especially if I am in a busy market or street or on a moving vehicle ( boat, bus, etc ). So for me, the ability to zoom is important.

I have and used the SL2 with the 24-90 but it is just to big and bulky for me, I love the handling and IQ but I can’t get into carrying it all day. For a short walk around the house or just in the car it is great as long as the subject isn’t moving to quickly.

My wife and I are traveling to Asia for a two month trip and we will have to pack really light so we can move around easily. I really want to take the M but I think I am going to end up taking the Sony A7R5 ( sold the a7r4, primarily for the improved EVF and IBIS) with the 24-70GM II, 35 1.4 GM and the 40mm 2.5 for a small walk around.

I would love to hear where you landed.

Jan 05, 2023 at 11:52 AM
flash
• • • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

ebornstein wrote:
To the OP, so where have you landed or in what direction are you leaning?
I have a very similar issue. I have both a Sony system and the M11. I really love the M for its output, somehow my M photos always make me smile, especially with the 35 APO M.

I travel a lot and have used the A1 and A7RIV a ton for Safari, etc but for walking around I really enjoy the M with the 35. I do struggle with the framing more than focus, I can see the patch and get clean images but I spend
...Show more

I’m not the OP but I’ve had the X2D since release and have done some travel with it now. I still have my M11, SL2 and Sony systems. Plus a few otherswhich I’ll menstion. I have some thoughts.

1. The IQ of the X2D continues to impress. I knew it would as I have a GFX100S system as well. The IBIS is incredible. The EVF is the best I’ve used. It’s beautiful. AF is *fast enough* but is lens dependant. Great with the new V lenses or the old zoom. Good with the old 90 (new one hasn’t arrived), 30 and 21. Less so with the 45, 45P 80 and 120 macro.
2. The biggest single issue as a travel camera is the same as the X1D. There’s only one short zoom. It’s possibly the best zoom on the market but you will be swapping out lenses. You might get away with the zoom, the excellent 55V and 90mm, which would give you a 28-71mm coverage with a couple of fastish primes. I need something longer, generally which means the 135, which is not a small lens. This is fine for me. I’m OK with a medium sized kit.
3. The f2.5 lenses may seem a bit slow compared to your 35mm 1.4 but the HB IBIS is better than my A7R3 by some margin, which more than makes up for it.
4. The M11 is MUCH smaller. You can put three lenses in a tiny bum bag and swap lenses quickly. I use the smallest LowPro and added a belt loop clip for security. Changing lenses takes seconds. I also keep the EVF in thereif I need the most percise framing.
5. After having the X2D for a few months it’s still my most used camera. I do use the SL2, GFX, M11 etc but the X2D is over half of my use. You don’t get tired of it.
6. If I am travelling around a town I’d actually take my GFX100S, even though I prefer the X2D. I can carry three zooms and the 80mm (probably replaces by the upcoming 55 1.9) in my smallest Wandred backpack. I can do the same with the X2D but it’s heavier (I don’t mind) and it means a few more lens changes.
7. The X2D and zoom are almost exactly the same as the SL2 and 24-90 so it might not be a walk around for you. The IQ and IBIS is better though. The SL2 has better SAF and more range.
8. I don’t generally get any joy shooting SOny cameras. There’s no denying their capabilities. I just don’t like them. It’s a bias you should be aware of. I’m currently trialling a Fuji XH2 with the 150-600 for a Safari I have in the middle of the year but the A7RV and 200-600 are still tempting me. I also have the SL2 and Sigma 150-600 but I’m not convinced on the SIgma. More testing will follow. I’m having mixed results with the X mount lenses.
9. For me access to lenses is vital so I prefer slings/waitbags in cities and backpacks if I need to do any serious walking. Shoulder bags are too much strain on my neck and shoulders.

I don’t need to consolodate. I can have more than one system. And I enjoy it. I’m coming to some overall conclusions for my travel kits though.

a: For trips where I have to travel light or a bigger bag will get in the way. M11. CV20 Ultron, 50mm APO, 90mm macro, WATE. EVF. All in a LowePro Bumbag with the camera over my shoulder. Lens changes take seconds like this.
b; Preferred general walking kit: X2D. 21, 35-75, 90, 135, 55V. Camera ove shoulder and lenses in a Wandrd daily carry backpack or Wandred medium waist pack. Often I’ll leve the zoom at home/hotel safe. I like primes generally although zooms are just easier to live with.
c: Single lens walkaround. X2D with 55V on a sling strap.
d: General travel where I’m not sure what I need. GFX100S, 20-35, 45-100, 100-200 and 80mm 1.9 in a Wandred Privike lite backpack. Best travel backpack ever.
e: Full kit including widlife: GFX100S: 20-35, 45-100, 100-200, 55 1.9 (when it’s released. currently 50mm) 80mm. XH2, 150-600. GuraGear 32L.
f; Super flexible kit without wildlife: SL2, 14-24, 24-90, 90-280, 28, 50, 90 APO’s. Wandred Privike 21L. This is my alternative to your Sony because every lens in this kit is outrageously good and the Leica IBIS is better than Sony’s. Some of the kit may end up in the safe for the day. I could have the body and primes or just the 24-90 or the whole thing.

That looks complictaed written down but it’s actually pretty straight forward. I take a miniMF camera when I can. M11 when I can’t and specialist gear when needed. Sometime the SL2 because it’s my *do it almost all* kit.

Too much gear too little time…..

If you want to take the M11, then take it. That sounds what you want to do. Just sort out how to change lenses efficiently. That means not in a regular camera bag, generally. For decades M users kept a couple of lenses in a jacket pocket, double capped. I wouldn’t do that now for security reasons but a small waist bag does the same thing just with less theft risk.

I wouldn’t talk you out of the X2D though……

Gordon

Jan 05, 2023 at 04:26 PM
olegkin
• •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

I have somewhat similar ideas on what to shoot. I can afford pretty much everything that is on market. I chose to stay with Olympus OM-1 (and em1.3, em1.2 at the moment) for compactness, and GFX50S2 for quality when needed. I also prefer 3/4 or square. Yes, m43 sensor is not as good as the best of the best on the market. It is more than plenty for everything I do though. Oly does not fit into the pocket. I did not plan to shoot daily life with GFX originally. But I ended up using it often if I know what I am going to shoot, or if I just want to enjoy a single lens walk and excellent quality. A full 14-420mm (in 35mm terms) set of Oly cameras and lenses fits into the same bag as GFX camera with two lenses.
I shoot with Leica m4 at the moment, for fun, and 2/3 frame makes me want to puke

Jan 05, 2023 at 08:28 PM
ebornstein

p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

Hey Gordon,
Thanks for the detailed response. I am really trying to keep myself limited to a couple of systems namely Sony and Leica. I agree the Sony does not bring a lot of joy but with the 100-400, and 600m F4 it really does a great job for wildlife and if I add the 24-70 and a fast 35 it can do it all. Once the camera is setup I really have no issues with the menus although there are times when I have to look hard for something. Generally I find the ergo okay, it fits my hands well enough and if I am shooting manual everything is right there and comfortable. I agree there is nothing sexy about it but it is a great hammer. The colors seem to be getting better to my eye although I am not the most discerning when it comes to color, I have a tough time with shades and hues. I am not sure I would be any happier with Nikon or Cannon. I have been there and done that with a Fuji xt-2 it was really good but the size of the Sony is close enough body wise but the Fuji takes the lead on lens size.

As I mentioned I have the SL2 and really enjoy using it, but there is no way I want to drag it and the lenses halfway around the world. I wish I was ok with it as I would love to shoot it all the time, the handling is great, the colors are clean, etc, etc. I like the output better than the Sony as well, but just can't commit to it due to the bulk and poor AF performance for wildlife. Honestly I am hoping the SL3 will be the answer as it will likely include PDAF and hopefully they will lighten the body up a bit. That would be great as I could get some decent L lenses and use some of my M lenses as well.

I am not sure what I am going to end up bringing, I think the M would be the most found and satisfying I just need to work on being comfortable changing lenses on the move. I usually use a PD Everyday 6l Sling or the Wotancraft 3.5l bag. As you mentioned I will sometimes just carry a couple of lenses in my coat pocket but I think it is going to be warm enough there that I won't want to and as such will need some sort of bag/sling.

Maybe when we get home I will the X2D a shake, it seems like there are a fair number of converts.

I am one of those people who have a hard time making a decision about what lens or system to take for the day so I am really trying to keep my options limited.

Thanks again for the your thoughts and have fun.

Jan 05, 2023 at 08:38 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

flash wrote:
AF is *fast enough* but is lens dependant. Great with the new V lenses or the old zoom. Good with the old 90 (new one hasn’t arrived), 30 and 21. Less so with the 45, 45P 80 and 120 macro.

Hi Gordon, how is the AF of the 38V on the X1D II? If I ever start the slippery path of upgrading to the X2D that would probably be my first step.

Jan 06, 2023 at 09:21 AM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

ebornstein wrote:
As I mentioned I have the SL2 and really enjoy using it, but there is no way I want to drag it and the lenses halfway around the world. I wish I was ok with it as I would love to shoot it all the time, the handling is great, the colors are clean, etc, etc.

Almost identical feelings. I never upgraded from the original SL because of this.

I believe there will eventually be a smaller full frame Leica L-mount body and smaller lenses but whether that is 2 years down the line or 5 years or 12 years is anybody's guess... Hopefully Sony continues to push the envelope with the A7c II.

I am almost certain the weight of the SL3 will be identical to the SL2. I do not expect any change.

Jan 06, 2023 at 09:45 AM
flash
• • • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

SlowDriver wrote:
Hi Gordon, how is the AF of the 38V on the X1D II? If I ever start the slippery path of upgrading to the X2D that would probably be my first step.

Close enough to the equivalent on the GFX100S that I can’t tell the difference. Not as fast as any modern 24x36mm system though. Again. Same as the GFX100S. Maybe a bit faster than my XPro2 but not as quick as my XT5? MUCH faster and more confident than the X1D and 45P. MathPhotographer did a Youtube video showing the focus speed of the 38 and 55. It *feels* like my Q2 or RX1RII. But I haven’t really done side by side testing to see if that’s just a felling. I have tested against the GFX lens by lens. The 38, 55, 90, zoom and the 80 (which is slow to AF) feel like the Fuji equivalents. The rest are slower than their Fiji counterparts. Some like the 21 and 30 are pretty close. Others like the 135 and 120 are a lot slower than the Fuji closest. The new lenses are silent, which is nice.

It’s certainly not getting in the way of my shooting general subjects, including people. Remember though, as of Jan 2023 we only have half a software version. No CAF. No ratios. No focus stacking. And a bunch of other stuff. Fortunately most I don’t use, except the ratios, which I’m missing. No wired remote release at all. Still only one, heavy, zoom.

Right now, if you’re happy with a few select primes (21,30,38,55 and 90) or don’t mind the weight of the zoom and you’re happy with the half finished but stable firmware, then the X2D is fucking fantastic. A genuine WOW camera. Addictive like crack. The X2D and 38V is 300 grams lighter than an SL2 with 35APO, with a better EFV, IBIS, menus and image quality. And a flippy screen and a terrabyte of internal memory. The X2D with 30, 55V and 90 (old version) is half a kilo lighter than the SL2 with three APO primes. OTOH the X2D with 35-75 is exactly the same as the SL2 with 24-90.

But it’s a niche within a niche within a niche until they get the firmware right, a few more V lens options (mostly longer and a couple of zooms) and get focus mobile working reliably as a remote release.

Possibly my favourite camera ever.

Gordon

Jan 06, 2023 at 03:20 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

I received the 38V yesterday. First impressions are positive. Solid construction. Slightly bigger than the 45P but not much heavier. Autofocuses faster.

I am still on the X1D II but I believe this lens will quickly become my carry everywhere lens.

Strange that Hasselblad discontinued the 21mm. Perhaps a 21V is coming?

Apr 26, 2023 at 05:50 PM
geoffreyg
• •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

Similar thoughts from a different perspective:
- Leica CL for snapshots, one camera traveling, but not so much art photography.
- M10M for smaller travel, wonderful shutter, lenses, can go with one lens, or several.
- Hassy 907 with either 30, 45P, or 65 - and take two lenses easily enough in a sling bag. For high-end color shooting, but still handhold able. The CFV back can be used on a tech camera easily enough, giving some system flexibility. And some M lenses (15, 21) can go on the 907 for landscape, albeit sometimes needing square cropping.

Looked at the X2D and X1D2, and there are a lot of advantages - certainly the IBIS in the later one is superb. Thought it might be a "one camera for all" - but don't much care for Phocus, although the color work is very good. LR works, but prefer C1 for the Leica. I can live with the slower focus of the X1D2, but the kicker for me is weight - these cameras put a fair amount of torque on the right hand, and over a day, its too much for me. The 907 is used (slightly oddly) with a small wooden handle on the left side, and dangles quite nicely with any lens on it - making it compact and an easy walk around. The shooting experience takes some getting used to (still not 100% at ease), so that's a wee issue.

The M10M is as close to magic in a Leica as I've ever seen. I'm sure the Q2 is neat too, but can't stand cropping the 28 to 35 or 50. Just goes against the grain. The 907 (or X1D2, or X2D)i s a worthwhile step up for slower work... some depends on what and how you shoot.

Apr 27, 2023 at 06:13 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.