Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       end

Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

SrMi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

agrumpyoldsod wrote:
As seems to be the style these days we get the camera with ready for release firmware but with not all the capabilities turned on -- these could be because the manufacturer is not yet ready (like AF tracking) or that it is a capability that the manufacturer has not yet "discovered" it needs to provide. The X2D clearly has a number of not-yet turned on capabilities that were in the X1D-ii -- here is my list and we end users simply do not know what is possible with the X2D-100C:

1. Continuous Auto-Focus
  2. Eye/Face tracking AF
  3. Automated in-camera focus stacking (or Bracketing
  4. ability to use a trigger connected via bluetooth
  5. better support for the full range of Profoto heads/speedlights (including B10/B10x/B10 plus/B10x plus) and the new Profoto Connect Pro trigger/transceiver (I have had less issues since upgrading the firmware on my Profoto heads) and Bron Control system (Karl Taylor seemed to have no issues)
  6. I would like to be able to record Exif data when using non-hasselblad lenses and technical systems (by entering them into the camera)
  7. on-board GPS - if there is please turn it on -- if there is not then I want to jam GPS location data from a smart device into the camera so it is written onto each file save in camera
  8. live view support for tethering and Focus Stacking or Bracketing while tethered while using Phocus and Phocus Mobile
  9. ability to save in a range of file formats with and without compression (lossless or otherwise)

All these have been submitted to Hasselblad support. We have been "promised"an update to Phocus Mobile that will enable use/control of the X2D-100C with Smart devices in Autumn 2022 - well we are now in the Autumn. So hopefully this will happen soon. Phocus was updated to firmware 3.7 which provided support for the X2D-100C and the 3 new lenses. One can now Phocus Stack tethered using the controls in the Capture Sequencer -- but it does not work automatically yet apparently we need a firmware update for the camera as well.
As to Video -- no thanks, but presumably the presence of a microphone and speaker on the camera means that it is possible.
I doubt there is an
...Show more

Camera manufacturers are pressed to ship as early as possible. That means that some features will be added later. If a new camera does not have the needed features, I would postpone the purchase until the update has arrived.
AFAIK, Hasselblad has confirmed the following for the next FW update:
- focus bracketing
- tracking
- continuous focus
- (probably) focus peaking
- LV tethering

AFAIK, they have also confirmed that there is no GPS in the camera and that video will never be enabled in X2D.

Sep 25, 2022 at 10:33 AM
DFason
• •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

Have you thought about a Q and Sony?
I tried to justify a M but my A1,A7C are both my work horse for work. I use the Q as a fun camera and to scratch the it with a Leica. The MF on the Q is fantastic. Like another user said the Sony 40mm is a really fun and small lens for the Sony system.

ArchnemeSwiss wrote:
I got a Leica M11 and Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f2 v2 last week. I'm new to rangefinders but not new to photography. It's been decades since I shot with a manual focus camera. I love the size of the M system and the colors coming out of the M11 are just spectacular. My motivation for the purchase was to get a super-compact system with very high image quality in a well-built package that I could take everywhere with me.

That said, I am struggling with my eyeglasses and the 35mm framelines in the viewfinder being hard to see. And of
...Show more

Sep 25, 2022 at 01:01 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

So by the time you get to an X2D with a 38 f2.5 V lens, you're not any taller than an M11 with EVF, the body is about 200g heavier, and your lens (without hood) is roughly comparable in length to a 35 Summilux with hood. But you get 100mpx, IBIS, AF, and eye relief that works with glasses. For comparison, the water in an 8oz cup weighs about the same as the weight difference between the X2D and M11 bodies. That's not much for someone like me who weighs 220lbs!

I think your illustration proves a good point - both cameras are excellent, and their size with the lenses you mention is bearable. If it is the flexibility of huge resolution for cropping that you want, then either would be perfect, and just ignore the below.

I use a Leica M246 Monochrom and a 35 Summilux asph a great deal of the time, and though I have other Leica lenses, that is what I use most of the time. It is a wonderful combination, which I can use quickly, and even wearing glasses I can see just enough outside the viewfinder frame to give me a sense of something entering the scene. All great. I have no intention of getting rid of this camera lens combination. I also have a Sony A7rIV, with, among others, the Sigma 35/2 and the CV 40/1.2, both stunning lenses. But the set-up is bulky.

Now I will say something about a different camera, which does not compare in resolution to the two cameras you mention, or the two above, but has almost all the other attributes you seem to want - small, light, 35mm lens, optical viewfinder framing, AF, plus eye AF with the EVF - a one camera solution if you do not need the highest resolution.

It is the Fuji X100V, which I also own and use extensively. This is significantly smaller and lighter than the Leica - jacket pocketable - and has great IQ, though only 26mp (enough for almost everything I do). The hybrid viewfinder and the framing for the optical finder mean that it is both very flexible in use, and I can see outside the frame very comfortably - far better than the Leica at 35mm. It is also AF, which is quick and reliable, has a tilting rear screen, has a leaf shutter (which almost mitigates the need for IBIS), and a very good built in flash. It really is a camera to carry with you, and for almost everything is faster and more accurate than the Leica. It really is a great camera, and often makes me wonder why I carry the Leica and Summilux, let alone the Sony.

Sep 25, 2022 at 01:53 PM
ArchnemeSwiss

Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

wolfloid wrote:
I think your illustration proves a good point - both cameras are excellent, and their size with the lenses you mention is bearable. If it is the flexibility of huge resolution for cropping that you want, then either would be perfect, and just ignore the below.

I use a Leica M246 Monochrom and a 35 Summilux asph a great deal of the time, and though I have other Leica lenses, that is what I use most of the time. It is a wonderful combination, which I can use quickly, and even wearing glasses I can see just enough outside the viewfinder
...Show more

I know this is obnoxious on my part, but part of what puts me off of the X100V is the smaller sensor and the attendant effects on DoF, leaving aside the lens. Being able to separate subjects into distinct planes of focus matters to me, and the DoF on the X100V is just so much deeper than an equivalent FF or MFD system when we're talking apples to apples. Like 60% more in focus at 6 feet and max aperture. I'd also considered the Ricoh GRIII in both the 28mm and 40mm equivalent options and decided it just wasn't right for me for that reason. I realize not everyone cares as much about this and I certainly know that there are very, very good photographers using those cameras. I am just not sure they're for me.

Sep 25, 2022 at 06:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnvanr
• • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

ArchnemeSwiss wrote:
I know this is obnoxious on my part, but part of what puts me off of the X100V is the smaller sensor and the attendant effects on DoF, leaving aside the lens. Being able to separate subjects into distinct planes of focus matters to me, and the DoF on the X100V is just so much deeper than an equivalent FF or MFD system when we're talking apples to apples. Like 60% more in focus at 6 feet and max aperture. I'd also considered the Ricoh GRIII in both the 28mm and 40mm equivalent options and decided it just wasn't right
...Show more

It depends on the use case. For street, the extra depth of field can be nice. For other work, it can be a minus.

I shoot MFT, FF but also have both the GRIII and the X100V. All have their purpose (as long as their overall size doesn’t bug me).

Sep 25, 2022 at 07:10 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

The lens on the X100V is now good at f2, but you are absolutely right, focus separation even at f2 cannot compare to that of the Leica and 35 Summilux at f1.4, which is why I keep it.

However, for most fast street work it is unlikely that anyone would use f1.4 with the Leica - even pre-focusing is very unlikely to work well without some quantity of pure luck. For that you’d need to go back to the Sony A1 and the GM 35/1.4, and also very quick reflexes.

Sep 26, 2022 at 04:24 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Swap Leica M11 for Hasselblad X2D? SL2-S? Or back to Sony mirrorless?

I have a beautiful SL2S I am willing to part with for an M11.

Sep 28, 2022 at 11:14 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password