Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Will be interesting to see what this new AF system entails. I guess Sony is trying to come up with something to entice me to buy an A1II when I really can't think of much reason to at this point

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:07 PM
oberheimx

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

I am happy with my A7R4, if I had to ask for something it would be to improve the dynamic range, high ISO or make the camera lighter. GPS data in the exif would be fine.

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:10 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Dave Sanders wrote:
It's interesting that this has become a divisive issue haha. As someone who uses his Sony gear a lot for landscapes on a tripod, I absolutely hate flip out screens. For me, the tilting screen is perfect. I hope they don't change it, but I get that others find the flip out screen preferable, essential even.

We'll see which camp gets their wish!

If it could tilt in both the horizontal and vertical orientations...that would be perfect. Don't need to be fully articulated.

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:11 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Yes, I'd like this. The Fuji XH1 had a great screen for that, but I see Fuji moved on to a standard flip out screen for the XH2...I'm guessing it's much more attractive to video shooters.

chez wrote:
If it could tilt in both the horizontal and vertical orientations...that would be perfect. Don't need to be fully articulated.

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:27 PM
Fboss
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Dave Sanders wrote:
It's interesting that this has become a divisive issue haha. As someone who uses his Sony gear a lot for landscapes on a tripod, I absolutely hate flip out screens. For me, the tilting screen is perfect. I hope they don't change it, but I get that others find the flip out screen preferable, essential even.

We'll see which camp gets their wish!

Yes it's really a preference thing. The flip out screen allows more creative angles that are not possible (or difficult) without. For landscapes and other use cases the tilting screen may be a better option indeed. But why would they add it on the A7 series and not on the A7r ?

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:34 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

They might have found that the R series attracts more landscape or tripod based shooters than the III/IV, which maybe attracted more video or hybrid shooters? Just a guess. They will likely go to fully articulated screens across all their bodies, much to my chagrin...

Fboss wrote:
Yes it's really a preference thing. The flip out screen allows more creative angles that are not possible (or difficult) without. For landscapes and other use cases the tilting screen may be a better option indeed. But why would they add it on the A7 series and not on the A7r ?

Oct 12, 2022 at 02:30 PM
RomanMF

p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Going to wait for the full spec breakdown before I hit the gasbag switch. The A.I push feels like a strange place for emphasis on this line of cameras, but I've long since believed Sony had too many A series cameras. Should be segmented into three (maybe four) price tiers and call it a day. They've already begun to have issues creating meaningful differences between the lines that don't feel artificial, very reminiscent of Canon's product lineup issues from a decade or so ago.

Oct 12, 2022 at 04:42 PM
PurpleSKY

p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

What did I tell you about that new AF upgrade? =)

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:47 PM
HelBen85
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

I hope for more dynamic range at base ISO.
Since the introduction of the A7 cameras, almost nothing has changed here.

The A7R series are the cameras for landscape photographers. I don't need 1000 AF sensors and 100 frames per second, I need resolution and dynamic range at ISO 100/64 (on a tripod) and less thermal noise at exposure times much longer than 30 seconds.

But I'm afraid Sony is still stuck here. Maybe we can at least hope that the noise behaviour will be as good as that of the A7RIII again.

Here is a comparison of A7R (2013!) - A1 - A7RIV

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Sony%20ILCE-1,Sony%20ILCE-7R,Sony%20ILCE-7RM4

Oct 13, 2022 at 03:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tuomkok
• •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

HelBen85 wrote:

That is probably because the original sensor was exceptionally good at base ISO dynamic range. It has its origin in Nikon D800. No full frame camera has been significantly better.

I am not sure what can be done to dynamic range. There are physical limits. Your graph does not include A7rm3 but I think it is the camera to beat in Sony line up. A7rm3 has competitive low ISO and it keeps better than competition dynamic range well to high ISO. Maybe the is still room for improvement in high ISO via better processor? Having ISO 50 as base ISO would slightly improve low ISO. Nikon went that way in D810.

Oct 13, 2022 at 04:48 AM
sismailian
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Feels to me like we are reaching a point of diminishing returns in tech as far as cameras and phones where the new releases are all very incremental changes.

We'll have to wait and see what the R5 will be like when its officially released. SAR rumors need heavy salt 😂 I had a strong gut feeling about the resolution not going higher. Better base iso performance would be a welcome change. Global shutter maybe? I doubt. Very happy with my R4 even tho I'm not shooting much this year. Going to pickup soon as I been too occupied with other life stuff 😁

Oct 13, 2022 at 07:08 AM
trogdon
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Never felt that the AF in the r4 was lacking in any way, and it’s still surprising me to this day (though I did start shooting CDAF mirrorless systems). Definitely fine with the current model although 4k60 is appealing. I wouldn’t give up my tilt screen for it though!

Oct 13, 2022 at 07:14 AM
luismanibarro
• •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

robert614 wrote:
Using “SAR” and “confirmed” in the same post! 😂😉

SupermegaLIKE here!!!

Oct 13, 2022 at 10:19 AM
trstahly
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

It is always nice to see Sony improve their cameras but too many of the upgrades the past few years have been underwhelming.

Sure if I was contemplating getting another A7R which I am not since I like the A1 so much better it would present some good solid upgrades I see the CF express cards as being the most exiciting.

But I doubt I will buy another A7R and would greatly prefer an A2 when it comes. Most likely a better sensor with more MP, better AF hopefully focus stacking and some other handy features.

Oct 13, 2022 at 10:58 AM
PurpleSKY

p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

I truly believe A7RV will be be a continued effort to put most of the alpha cameras in line with each other:

1. Better EVF’s
2. 10-bit video
3. 4k 60 on most models
4. Better stabilization (active mode)
5. CF Express A compatibility
6. AF - Subject recognition and touch tracking
7. Updating to Bionz XR chipsets

Once this one is done.. they’ll have done the S line, the basic 7, they introduced the a1, and then this release will be the R line. Once they decide where the a9 will go, we’ll step up to the new platform in the next few years. The RV won’t be ground breaking but will adhere to the new baseline set by the aforementioned bodies. I’m excited more for the new wave after all of the bodies are updated.

Oct 13, 2022 at 11:25 AM
kurt765
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

HelBen85 wrote:

The A7R series are the cameras for landscape photographers. I don't need 1000 AF sensors and 100 frames per second, I need resolution and dynamic range at ISO 100/64 (on a tripod) and less thermal noise at exposure times much longer than 30 seconds.

But I'm afraid Sony is still stuck here. Maybe we can at least hope that the noise behaviour will be as good as that of the A7RIII again.

Here is a comparison of A7R (2013!) - A1 - A7RIV
...Show more

Amen to all that. I have two R3's and did not upgrade to R4's because of the downgrade in DR/noise. Perhaps there could be hope that R5 would be on par with the R3? But alas, reading the SAR rumors gives no hope. There's no reason to think Sony are even thinking about this really, it seems. New AF system is not something I care about. Nor do I care about 8k video. Sigh.

Oct 13, 2022 at 12:26 PM
HelBen85
• •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

kurt765 wrote:
Amen to all that. I have two R3's and did not upgrade to R4's because of the downgrade in DR/noise. Perhaps there could be hope that R5 would be on par with the R3? But alas, reading the SAR rumors gives no hope. There's no reason to think Sony are even thinking about this really, it seems. New AF system is not something I care about. Nor do I care about 8k video. Sigh.

That's why I also have an A7RIII as my main camera.
It's still the sweet spot regarding resolution - dynamic range - noise in my opinion.

Oct 13, 2022 at 04:06 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

HelBen85 wrote:
That's why I also have an A7RIII as my main camera.
It's still the sweet spot regarding resolution - dynamic range - noise in my opinion.

DR is the same, noise pretty much as well, once equalized for resolution. Pick the best camera that works for you; I sold the R3 and kept the R2. I'll replace it with a used IV or a V, if its compelling in some way.

Oct 13, 2022 at 04:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password