Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

jstrawman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

I hope everyone gets what they want in the future a7rV. I know I won't be buying one. I think there are others like me who appreciate a smaller MP sensor. Personally, I find I get more pleasing (to me) results
from the 33mp sensor on my a7IV, than I did on the a7rIII. I just hope Sony continues to support the a7IV in the future.

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:58 AM
Betacamman
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

I wonder if they might stack the 61mp sensor rather than replace it?

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:23 PM
dclark
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

October release?
We are 19 days into September.
A7R4/A7R4a are in stock and delivered immediately.
A7R4/A7R4a are not on sale to clear inventory.
No leaks from Sony.
No teasers from Sony.

I would like to see an October release or announcement, but it seems unlikely.

Dave

Sep 19, 2022 at 01:32 PM
seaSharp

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

dclark wrote:
October release?
We are 19 days into September.
A7R4/A7R4a are in stock and delivered immediately.
A7R4/A7R4a are not on sale to clear inventory.
No leaks from Sony.
No teasers from Sony.

I would like to see an October release or announcement, but it seems unlikely.

Dave

Yes, but the world economy is slowing. Apple brought up their annual phone release a bit to try and get orders in while the getting is good. Everyone else has to be thinking the same thing.

Whether it is possible for Sony to move the date up is another question...

Sep 19, 2022 at 03:04 PM
fededuran
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

I still love my A7r3. A sony A1 looks more exciting to me than a 100 MP new camera, to be honest. I also miss more innovation not only from Sony but in general. Maybe the xpro 3 has been the lastest attempt by any brand to put something different on the table, wether you like it or not.

Sep 19, 2022 at 04:15 PM
doc4x5
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

I just re-read this thread. Unless I missed a comment, no one mentioned some features that would get me to upgrade my A7R4.

Sony is seriously behind the times in not having lossless compressed RAW (and I don't mean in a $6,500 30FPS camera), and in not having in camera focus bracketing (stacking). Both Nikon and Fuji have these features. A fellow landscape photographer just sold his R4 for a Nikon Z7II and these were some, but not all, of the reasons.

I love my R4, but will not likely upgrade for more megapixels alone.

Sep 19, 2022 at 04:31 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

doc4x5 wrote:
I just re-read this thread. Unless I missed a comment, no one mentioned some features that would get me to upgrade my A7R4.

Sony is seriously behind the times in not having lossless compressed RAW (and I don't mean in a $6,500 30FPS camera), and in not having in camera focus bracketing (stacking). Both Nikon and Fuji have these features. A fellow landscape photographer just sold his R4 for a Nikon Z7II and these were some, but not all, of the reasons.

Yeah, focus stacking/bracketing is really a must in a high-resolution camera like the A7R4/5 these days. Whether that (and other nice to have features) makes an appearance is anyone's guess. I'd be surprised if compressed RAW options do not appear though. The last two new models (A1 and A74) both have it, so I'd say it's a given on an A7R5.

Sep 19, 2022 at 04:47 PM
pjmsj21
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

doc4x5 wrote:

I feel the same about my 7RIII, and while I likely won't switch brands as it is just too expensive, I won't be upgrading or adding new lenses. If I were starting out with no gear I would likely go to the R5 or Z7II. I hope I am wrong, but I think Sony is spec oriented at the cost of meaningful features and upgrades that will help landscape photographers take better photos or make it a more enjoyable experience.

Sep 19, 2022 at 04:58 PM
itai195
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Lossless will almost certainly be in the A7R5. I mean it is in the A7 mark 4 isnít it?

Focus stacking / bracketing, though? Not holding my breath but itíd be a good camera to release alongside that feature.

I think the competition have some nice cameras. My main problem with them is lenses, Sony is still way ahead there and lenses are the most important consideration for me.

Sep 19, 2022 at 08:33 PM
Lyle on Maui

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Here's my guess, completely uneducated:

80mp
Focus Stacking finally built in
Slightly improved screens
Slightly improved focus
Slightly changed body so it wont fit in my housings

What I'd really like to see? 100mp e-mount medium format with a screen on top in a similar body. Built-in focus stacking, screen that flips out in both directions.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dave Sanders
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Lyle on Maui wrote:
Here's my guess, completely uneducated:

Slightly changed body so it wont fit in my housings

Hahaha I liked the 'resigned to reality' aspect of this one...

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:55 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

i would be happy if Sony could fix focus reliability with the 200-600 on the A7RIV

Sep 21, 2022 at 02:51 PM
sismailian
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Slight boost in mp or stick to current 61mp
Focus stacking
Better dynamic range
Better noise handling
Cf express cards
Better evf or lcd screen

Whatever they make I am sure landscape photographers like me will be drooling over it and eventually upgrade like I did from the R3 to R4. Totally love my R4. I am keeping expectations low and believe the new model most likely will have more smaller incremental upgrades or changes. Nothing big but hey I am not against surprises 😁

Sep 22, 2022 at 01:48 AM
MAubrey
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

It might be worth noting that the Fujifilm X-T4 and the GFX 100S both matched the Sony a7rIV in terms of pixel pitch. 26MP, 61MP, 100MP all from the same place.

Fujifilm's X-H2 bumps the APS-C sensor resolution to 40.2MP. That would translate to a possible 90.45MP FF camera.

Sep 22, 2022 at 01:52 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Hmmmm ...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/at-1500-london-time-i-will-tell-you-when-the-a7rv-will-be-announced/

"at 15:00 London time I will tell you the Sony A7rV announcement date
[Note: Have no 100% reliable specs yet!"

Sep 23, 2022 at 04:11 AM
johnvanr
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Not a Sony shooter (and wonít be until they redesign the body), but I feel that where Sony lags is in computational photography. My Olympus has several unique features, some of which other brands also have. Any FF camera maker that offers more computational features would offer a step forward from the competition. It seems logical for Sony to be that company.

Sep 23, 2022 at 07:12 AM
Mister-Mr
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Very much agree with you. I only expect incremental changes to the upcoming camera...

Logically, it would make sense that Sony ,with all their skill and intellectual reserves, would move toward more connectivity and computational functions.

Yet, there are many who are not on board with any of this.

My 'opinion' is that at this point in time, Sony may not know exactly where the mirrorless market will go

For me, it was the somewhat 'radical' change that mirrorless offered that was appealing.

So, my wish list would be a different body design, enhanced connectivity AND a ( drumroll ) LOWER entry point for a blazingly new 'radical' camera. Maybe it shouldn't be named an 'ALPHA' either.
Quit selling or producing older designs that may be less costly, but build a very new, and more 'exciting' camera that would attract a YOUNGER audience..

It doesn't have to be at the top for AF or pixel count, it just needs to excite and attract a different person. . No need to have a colored camera ( ala Pentax K-01) either..

johnvanr wrote:
Not a Sony shooter (and wonít be until they redesign the body), but I feel that where Sony lags is in computational photography. My Olympus has several unique features, some of which other brands also have. Any FF camera maker that offers more computational features would offer a step forward from the competition. It seems logical for Sony to be that company.

Sep 23, 2022 at 08:47 AM
Tristan.W
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

61MP redesigned CMOS, such as faster readout/lower noise, higher-ISO set for dual-gain
new PDAF, reliable accuracy matching 7m4 performance
native ISO 64(better 50)
same CPU, same 0.9x EVF
8K/30P
same 7m4 sys software
same 7m4 dial layout design

hopefully?
- new body design with new LCD(like NIKON Z9?)
- new LCD or OLED screen, with larger size (3.2? 3.5?)
- new battery (same size higher capacity to support higher power consumption) with quick-charge (FZ100 released in spring. 2017, a9 announcement, old)
- support SD EXPRESS?
- quad-bayer CMOS for DOL-HDR

Sep 23, 2022 at 09:47 AM
luismanibarro

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Focus stacking
Live bulb
Better LCD
No video at all
Basic AF
Top notch DR and NR
Incamera raw processing

In short, a camera JUST for landscape photography.
Do you want video? buy a video camera or a A7Sxxx
Do you want action? pick the A1
Do you want weddings? pick the A7IV
But please, make a f...g good camera for landscape.
And make a BW version without color array.
And NO, I've not forgotten regarding resolution, I just don't care about it at all. 42mp is enough for me.

Sep 24, 2022 at 02:21 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password