Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

PurpleSKY

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

chiron wrote:
Interesting. I think this would be an appealing update IF there really were a new AF system. Their current system leads the competition (I think?). Do they need a new one? What could it do better than the A1, A9/II, and the A7C?

I think better subject recognition like cars, boats, even scenes like buildings or mountains.. things that may aid landscape or car photography.. and then upping that fps speed to capture fast moving objects, but not as fast as the A1.

The a7IV even got a beauty mode that smooths skin.. I think people missed this small computational photography feature. I believe Sony will extend itself there to fend off the iPhones/androids out there.

One other thing I would hope they give us is an EVND like they do in the zv series.. built in electronic variable ND. This would be amazing…

Edited on Oct 12, 2022 at 08:01 AM · View previous versions

Oct 11, 2022 at 09:36 AM
Maximilian
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

PurpleSKY wrote:
The a7IV even got a beauty mode that smooths skin.. I think people missed this small computational photography feature.

The A7R II also has this feature, which some of my customers are very happy with, so it's something I'm missing too.
I was surprised and disappointed as I wasn't able to find it on the A7R III and A7R IV (because they haven't it), but when I asked here in the forum whether it was me who couldn't find it on the III or the III not having it, well I didn't get any answer (like, you know, "the A7R III doesn't have it", full stop) but mostly scornful comments like "a real professional wouldn't use it" or "what do you need it for?"

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:24 PM
Sundial

p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

- Same/refined 61MP sensor
- New processor
- Same menu system as A1/A7IV
- Updated AF system
- 10 FPS
- 8K Video
- Dual SD/CF Type A slots
- Improved/higher res rear LCD screen

And that's it.

Oct 11, 2022 at 01:33 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Sundial wrote:
- Same/refined 61MP sensor
- New processor
- Same menu system as A1/A7IV
- Updated AF system
- 10 FPS
- 8K Video
- Dual SD/CF Type A slots
- Improved/higher res rear LCD screen

And that's it.

Would you buy the above spec’d camera at $4,000 versus a second hand A7R4 at say $1900?

Oct 11, 2022 at 01:53 PM
Sundial

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

chez wrote:
Would you buy the above spec’d camera at $4,000 versus a second hand A7R4 at say $1900?

Absolutely not! I just sold my original A7R4 as it does not have any real world advantage over my A1. 61MP vs 50 is not that big of a difference IMO (and I crop a lot).

Oct 11, 2022 at 01:59 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

chez wrote:

I would if it focused accurately with my 200-600mm.

Oct 11, 2022 at 02:26 PM
Butterfingers

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

I just have simple needs I would love the A1 viewfinder on the A7RV, even if it keeps the same resolution I would be happy just for that viewfinder and as a bonus the new menu system from the A7IV looks spiffy too, but I think that is almost certain at this point.

Now what would I do with my A7RIII, sell it and get a A7C? Or just keep it as a second body?

Oct 11, 2022 at 02:38 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

chez wrote:

Nope. Improvements to AF/processing would be welcome, but wouldn't benefit me as my A9 more than covers those bases. And if/when I decide I need the best AF at the same time as a high-MP sensor, I'll just buy a used A1.

That said, hoping it's a good upgrade with features that make it a good choice for a lot of people.

Oct 11, 2022 at 03:03 PM
lostinaustin

p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

I think, due to the pessimistic global economic outlook and lingering supply chain issues, that the predictions that are overly hardware based are less likely.

I think this might finally be the point at which Sony starts giving us some of the software camera features people have been asking for over the years since the R3 and they would now be possible because of the new A1 CPU we'll likely see the a7 R5.

I expect the same sensor but maybe better tuned, new menus a la a7 4, in-camera super resolution combining (and hopefully movement correction), maybe focus stacking, updated AF, big/little resolution settings, better write speeds and video specs, and maybe some of the other features that used to be apps in the camera app store.

This probably wouldn't be worth upgrading for R4 owners, but R3 owners may finally want to make the jump.

Oct 11, 2022 at 03:42 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Latest SAR rumor. The one thing I do see that is important at first glance is at least for Pros is dual slots. That alone would make someone upgrade. this would also interest some folks 9.44m-Dot EVF. Personally if I had the A7RIV that would be enough alone for me to upgrade, but I am always looking at the latest tech and never worry about the costs of it. It is what it is

here
Sony A7R V Rumored specs
61 MP Sensor
Next Generation of Bikonz X image processor
8K 30p and 4K 120p Video in 10-Bit
S-Cinetone
5-Axis SteadyShot Image Stabilization
Dual Drive Shutter tech
9.44m-Dot EVF
Dual CFexpress Type A/SD Card Slots

Oct 12, 2022 at 09:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

guyharrison
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

But, these are tech specs. Where are the features that photographers (not videographers) want like focus stacking, in-camera pixel shift images, in-camera hdr. I understand there is a big video market bu is Sony listening to what features photography-centered shooters want?

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:05 AM
Alan Parker
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

SAR's livestream is talking about a "Deep Learning AI Autofocus System"

Full list as per SAR:
Same 61MP sensor because all the power goes to the new processor.
TOTALLY New Autofocus system with AI deep learning
8k 24p (cropped)
4k60p 4k24p (full read out)
S cinetone is available
8 stop IBIS (unclear yet if “native” or with “gyro data”)
Body looks like a mix between the Sony A7sIII and Sony A7IV.

Not sure why this crazy autofocus system would be introduced with the A7R5. Wouldn't an A9 style camera make a whole lot more sense for something like that? Speed doesn't really matter the most for a landscape/portrait camera like the A7R series. I don't know, that's just my opinion.
We'll know in a week or two what these poorly translated and explained rumors might actually do.

GMPhotography wrote:
Latest SAR rumor.

Do you have a different source then we do? You were close!

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:06 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Alan looks like the changed the specs from when I copied it till you did. Interesting

That was not there TOTALLY New Autofocus system with AI deep learning

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:28 AM
JayPhoto1
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

I agree. Seems he (SAR) is holding on to additional rumors that are new to the system awaiting confirmation from other sources. Although I’m a hybrid shooter, there are perhaps too many video goodies included in this rumor that already exist in the A1. I expected this “R for resolution” body to differentiate more on the photo side since we also have capable video specs in the A1, SIII and A7IV. Still, just a rumor so we’ll know for sure in a few weeks. 👍

guyharrison wrote:
But, these are tech specs. Where are the features that photographers (not videographers) want like focus stacking, in-camera pixel shift images, in-camera hdr. I understand there is a big video market bu is Sony listening to what features photography-centered shooters want?

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:30 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Look at the source, we have seen totally different things in the past. Just wait till its all confirmed but a few things would make me upgrade. But no way in hell would I sell my A1for it.

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:36 AM
seaSharp

p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

I they could bring the IBIS back to a class leading level (especially for long lens use) that would be very exciting for me. The substandard through the EVF wildlife experience is the biggest downside for Sony (and full frame generally).

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:16 AM
Fboss
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Is there anything about the rear screen, if it's going to be articulated like the A7IV ? I would really like that.

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:25 AM
Butterfingers

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

It sounds like the resolution of the EVF will match the A1, but I wonder if the magnification of the A1's EVF (0.9x) will be carried over as well?

When I made my move from DSLR's (Canon 7D) to the Sony A7RIII I felt that the balance of the electronic aids and the EVF resolution, along with the other benefits of going to mirrorless, made up for the loss of the 7D's amazing viewfinder. But I still feel like there is some ways to go before we can match that, I have not tried the A1 viewfinder, but from everything I have heard it sounds like it's really good.

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:40 AM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

It's interesting that this has become a divisive issue haha. As someone who uses his Sony gear a lot for landscapes on a tripod, I absolutely hate flip out screens. For me, the tilting screen is perfect. I hope they don't change it, but I get that others find the flip out screen preferable, essential even.

We'll see which camp gets their wish!

Fboss wrote:
Is there anything about the rear screen, if it's going to be articulated like the A7IV ? I would really like that.

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:52 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · what are realistic expectations for an A7RV?

Rarely even use the tilt. But I like it

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:05 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password