New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Om-1 Tips on using Pro-Capture

PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Om-1 Tips on using Pro-Capture

Starting a new post to have a place to sort out questions using Pro-Capture on a OM-1 Camera.

Post copied over...

Tom Reynolds wrote:
I am struggling with using ProCapture and I find [email protected] little about it. I see several modes for ProCap SH2 @ 25/50 F/S.

1-Normal waiting-for-bird-to-takeoff if I am hand-held. I can hold, half-press, on a bird for less than 2 min and I can't do that often. My arm will be useless for weeks if not months.
2-Using a monopod while sitting on a walkstool. I can hold for somewhat longer.
3-Shooting from a blind, sitting on a chair, camera on a tripod. In this mode I can use the iPhone app to hold half-press and to take the shot.

I am working on using the Iphone in mode 2 (monopod/chair) but it looks like I need 3 hands.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Tom

OMDnext wrote:
Tom not sure if this will help or not

https://blog.martinbelan.com/2022/04/09/how-to-use-bird-detection-af-with-pro-capture-on-the-om-system-om-1/

Have been playing pro capture some and am struggling. But over time will figure it out. Right now just learning how to use camera

Sep 18, 2022 at 05:40 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Om-1 Tips on using Pro-Capture

Tom I'm reading your question and I might be missing the question you have. Looks like comments listed as 1 through 3 bullet points.

Do you need help using the app in your iPhone, if so what do you need?

I don't know anything about using a phone for releasing the shutter but can help with questions regarding Pro-Capture directly on the camera.

Sep 18, 2022 at 05:46 PM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Om-1 Tips on using Pro-Capture

PV-

My problem is sustaining half-press until the bird takes off or lands. For many, of course, that is not a problem, but for me it is.

Sep 18, 2022 at 06:54 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Om-1 Tips on using Pro-Capture

Tom Reynolds wrote:
PV-

My problem is sustaining half-press until the bird takes off or lands. For many, of course, that is not a problem, but for me it is.

I can understand that, holding a button half pressed on the camera is not for everyone.

Since you mentioned you have issues in a photo hide and trying to work out using the phone app.

What I just tried to see if it would work is a remote trigger. I have the wireless OM Systems RM-WR1. I paired it with a OM-1 camera. In Pro-Capture it will buffer up images with half pressing, and then records when pressing all the way. I'm sure the wired remote works the same way.

In your hide with the camera on the tripod you would use the back LCD or keep your eye to the view finder. Use the remote and get your images. The remote can be held anywhere where it is comfortable for you.

For me this sounds like a better way then trying to use a iPhone interface to trigger a shutter let alone having it do a half press.

Sep 18, 2022 at 07:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Om-1 Tips on using Pro-Capture

Tom in a hide I might suggest since there is a perch or a location that you have setup for a bird to land or take off, or even waiting for interaction between birds. You pretty much have your depth of field in one plane. For me I would be using SH1-Pro-Capture high.

Just focus on a point either with back button focus or I turn the switch on the camera to MF. Have enough depth for the bird and buffer up and wait for the bird to do it's thing. Yea I use 120 FPS for this.

You are not tracking and following birds around so SH2 is not needed. The most interesting images are the landing and take off. Especially when two birds have a confrontation. I've shot at different FPS rates and find that 120FPS gives you more opportunities to pick the right interaction. I don't care about the extra images as you can just pick out one or two and quickly delete the rest. But you do get more and by doing so you get ones that you may have not gotten at less FPS. You paid for the camera use it for the full FPS it offers.

Sep 18, 2022 at 07:28 PM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Om-1 Tips on using Pro-Capture

I will try ProCap SH2. The iPHONE App allows me to lock half-press. Do you know if the slider on the remote does also.

Tom

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:28 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Om-1 Tips on using Pro-Capture

Tom Reynolds wrote:
I will try ProCap SH2. The iPHONE App allows me to lock half-press. Do you know if the slider on the remote does also.

Tom

No the Oly remotes just work like the camera shutter button, You hold for half press and then fully press to acquire. They have a full press lock to use like on bulb function.

Remember that any Pro-Capture setting you use, when you half press to buffer it will time out after 1 minute. Then you have to release half pressing and start it over again. Not sure how you handle that with the iPhone app.

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:38 PM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Om-1 Tips on using Pro-Capture

9/20 Update.

1-It is not clear that the 60 sec timeout applies to the OM-1 in all circumstances. I will need to check this with both the regular shutter and the OM Share APP.

2-The OM Share APP works on an IPOD.

3-I found a holder designed to clamp a power pack on a camera. (SmallRig Universal Power Bank Holder) When I use the OM Share APP on a monopod it would attach to the bottom of the camera. When I use it hand-held, it would attach to the lens foot. Either way the "half-press and hold" feature of the OM Share app will save my finger/arm. ....maybe...

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:45 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password