New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

bobby350z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

Currently I have a couple of XPLOR600 which allow HSS/TTL though I haven't used TTL feature much. These are 5+ yrs old, still going. I am trying to see what the new options are which can give better color consistency.

Sep 17, 2022 at 09:02 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

I'm sure others will have better information, but I do believe the Godox Pro series (200, 300, 400 and 600) are supposed to have better color consistency than their prior non-pro versions. That's according to the marketing at least.

I've got a 300 Pro (Flashpoint version) and I've never noticed any color consistency issues, but I use mine as a hobbyist.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:32 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

Thanks. Have you tried with HSS setting so see it how consistent the strobe is?

Sep 19, 2022 at 05:37 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

I’ve tested the 600Pros with the C700 color meter and they don’t test as well as the specs, but they’re close, and they test far better than a lot of pro strobes out there (e.g. the Profoto B1). I didn’t test them in HSS for color (not sure you can test both HSS and color with one meter), but Rob Hall did a video early in the 600Pro/400Pro release where he demonstrated that they shift along the green/magenta axis in HSS, but again not nearly as much as the B1/B1X.

FWIW the color delta on the 600Pro across their power spectrum was, in my testing, +/- 90K in color stable mode. But for general use, even in regular “non color” mode, the shift is so little as to not be a serious issue. Given this, I trust the 400Pro and 300Pro behave similarly. I don’t have a 400 but regularly mix the 300 in with my 600s and it seems great.

As an aside, you’ll find an added complication is that your modifiers will add their own color cast - my Photek is a little green; a Photoflex umbrella and one of my silver reflectors are very green.

Sep 21, 2022 at 06:02 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

Thanks, appreciate it.

Sep 21, 2022 at 09:59 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

For portability and speed to setup and take down it is hard to beat the Quantum Qflash. I can plug two Qflash into one power bank and be ready to shoot in a few minutes. Lots of modifier options from softboxes to reflectors and I particularly like to use them in bare bulb mode, both indoors and outside.

Sep 30, 2022 at 02:33 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

elkhornsun wrote:
For portability and speed to setup and take down it is hard to beat the Quantum Qflash. I can plug two Qflash into one power bank and be ready to shoot in a few minutes. Lots of modifier options from softboxes to reflectors and I particularly like to use them in bare bulb mode, both indoors and outside.

Trust me, the godox (AD200) that I have are much better compared to Quantum. Back in the day, yes Quantum/Sunpack were good.

Oct 02, 2022 at 08:57 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

Godox owners complain of battery problems and DOA issues with their units which is not good if one is using them as a professional and needs reliable gear. It may be "only" 25% that have problems but that is more than enough for me to avoid Godox.

Oct 02, 2022 at 04:40 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

elkhornsun wrote:
Godox owners complain of battery problems and DOA issues with their units which is not good if one is using them as a professional and needs reliable gear. It may be "only" 25% that have problems but that is more than enough for me to avoid Godox.

I have had Godox for 5 + yrs now. Not even 1 misfire. One shoot I did mess up by leaving modeling lights on and my batteries drained super fast as expected. Luckily I had backup. I think I paid $400-$450 at the time (per strobe) which do HSS as well as TTL. And these are 600ws per strobe. I am just looking if there is something better out there as mine are now 5 yrs old. It looks hard to beat the Godox Pro versions. I will see if any deals during Thanksgiving.

Oct 02, 2022 at 06:30 PM
albediorock

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

I used to use godox products but now I changed to Wescott, much more consistent system and better color too

Nov 19, 2022 at 08:42 AM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

albediorock wrote:
I used to use godox products but now I changed to Wescott, much more consistent system and better color too

Jinbei never was better than Godox beyond "IMHO"s

Nov 19, 2022 at 02:38 PM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

bobby350z wrote:
Currently I have a couple of XPLOR600 which allow HSS/TTL though I haven't used TTL feature much. These are 5+ yrs old, still going. I am trying to see what the new options are which can give better color consistency.

may be PaulCBuff - they have TTL now if it is what you need, not sure if it is as good a strobe as their Einstein was ( in their price range )

https://www.paulcbuff.com/Flash-Units/LINK-Products/LINK-Flash-Unit.html

Nov 19, 2022 at 02:42 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:
may be PaulCBuff - they have TTL now if it is what you need, not sure if it is as good a strobe as their Einstein was ( in their price range )

https://www.paulcbuff.com/Flash-Units/LINK-Products/LINK-Flash-Unit.html

Link is old news. They have a new one coming "Celestial" something. Personally I wouldn't want to put monolight on top of modifiers anymore. I got used to Godox extension head. Makes life easier and almost no need for the sand bags for location shoots.

Nov 19, 2022 at 03:27 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

Jinbei units with westcott branding. I’ll take godox pro over it anyday. In my 3 years with godox ad600, 200, 300 not a single issue

albediorock wrote:

Nov 22, 2022 at 06:11 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

Is this anything speedlites might be good for? Looks like the 600 a bit brighter than a speedlite at 50mm zoom. I've been using at 1/16 for macro so you can fire lots. I do outdoor photography can't tell you how consistent the color. Looks good or great though to me. Use daylight balance almost exclusively no issues with color that I've noticed. Ridiculously inexpensive

Nov 22, 2022 at 06:45 PM
mehrdad sadat
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

Picture This! wrote:
Jinbei units with westcott branding. I’ll take godox pro over it anyday. In my 3 years with godox ad600, 200, 300 not a single issue

what experience have had with Jinbei?

Nov 22, 2022 at 07:30 PM
3BIGMAMAS

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

I am very pleased with a kit of Elinchrom Ones.

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:33 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Portable strobe options with good color consistency

3BIGMAMAS wrote:
I am very pleased with a kit of Elinchrom Ones.

I would need Elinchrome Five to get power of AD600 or go their pack/head option. I don't like heavy monolights on the modifiers. Godox solution of extension head even with monolights is great.

Jan 07, 2023 at 11:17 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.