Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       7       8       end
  

Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?

  
 
AmbientMike
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


Could an iPhone be a good alternative to a camera for my photography?

Basically, no.



Sep 24, 2022 at 10:16 AM
fotografur
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


philip_pj wrote:
'Can an iphone work?'

Well, maybe. Perhaps someone can post their phone images, so others can see what the level of quality is? Seeing might just be believing. There is a phone image thread somewhere, but no luck in the first five pages.


Taken in 2019 with an iPhone 6 (8MP) and she used it in her promotions..

https://www.facebook.com/caitlinkochmusic




  iPhone 6    iPhone 6 back camera 4.15mm f/2.2 lens    4mm    f/2.2    1/40s    32 ISO    0.0 EV  




Sep 24, 2022 at 03:20 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


I think that speaks more to her standards then to the quality of that photo, no offense, probably the best you could get with what you had with you at the time.

fotografur wrote:
Taken in 2019 with an iPhone 6 (8MP) and she used it in her promotions..

https://www.facebook.com/caitlinkochmusic




Sep 24, 2022 at 03:24 PM
fotografur
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


RoamingScott wrote:
I think that speaks more to her standards then to the quality of that photo, no offense, probably the best you could get with what you had with you at the time.



I've gotten better shots with that 8mp iPhone but she chose to use this image for whatever reason.



Sep 24, 2022 at 03:53 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


Well, it's better than nothing. But - over the top macro contrast (ultra narrow DR), poor tone handling, near total lack of high spatial freqency data, lack of image depth (the flat look), no shadow detail whatsoever, blocked colours, unflattering facial reproduction, bodies looked painted on to the background set. See how the red/orange tones appear to merge into each other - faces, backdrop, arms, orange top, etc? The right side guy's hands look nuked. All may have been forgiven because we all know about concert lighting.

It's a caricature of an image, because phones are 'visual shorthand', outline sketches basically. And these concerns are not nitpicking at the edges, but are front and centre of the image problems. Less is not more, but some eyes are happy with it because it's better than nothing.

She looks ill. But not everyone notices because colour is a learned exerience. So they don't see anything wrong, anything that can be improved. They are satisfied with rank mediocrity. Now imagine if it was shot with something serious, the kinds of cameras and lenses we discuss at length here. That's always my reaction - 'what if you used the right equipment?'

It's been a long haul for humanity from caveman art to Otus lenses. The question is: why are so many eager to regress when photographic equipment is now superb? We are reaching for the gutter, not the stars..

Thanks for posting, when so few seem prepared to do so.



Sep 24, 2022 at 04:12 PM
A.Y.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


All taken effortlessly by my wife's 2019 iPhone 11 Pro inside Carlsbad Caverns. iPhone AI software magically combined multiple images to produce these very sharp photos. I, on the other hand, spent hours processing RAW files from my Sony mirrorless cameras. Many of my shots came out uselessly blurry because of slow shutter speeds. Fortunately, iPhone captured many travel memories that would have been lost!

I ordered an iPhone 14 Pro for my wife as soon as it was announced and will compare it to my Sony APS-C system.




























Sep 24, 2022 at 05:21 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


If you work within the known limits of the phone sensors, you can squeak some nice photos out.

Here, I knew the clouds would lose definition because of the terrible tonal transitions, so I edited in a style that I thought would be complementary to that shortcoming. A decent pic, but not one I'd ever put in my portfolio.






Sep 24, 2022 at 05:52 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


A.Y. wrote:
All taken effortlessly by my wife's 2019 iPhone 11 Pro inside Carlsbad Caverns. iPhone AI software magically combined multiple images to produce these very sharp photos. I, on the other hand, spent hours processing RAW files from my Sony mirrorless cameras. Many of my shots came out uselessly blurry because of slow shutter speeds. Fortunately, iPhone captured many travel memories that would have been lost!

I ordered an iPhone 14 Pro for my wife as soon as it was announced and will compare it to my Sony APS-C system.

http://alyudesign.com/images/trip/CarlsbadCaverns/07.jpg
http://alyudesign.com/images/trip/CarlsbadCaverns/16.jpg
http://alyudesign.com/images/trip/CarlsbadCaverns/21.jpg
http://alyudesign.com/images/trip/CarlsbadCaverns/22.jpg
http://alyudesign.com/images/trip/CarlsbadCaverns/37.jpg


Did you mean sharp or sharpened? Personally I find them way over sharpened, but perhaps that is just me.



Sep 24, 2022 at 05:57 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


Steve Spencer wrote:
Did you mean sharp or sharpened? Personally I find them way over sharpened, but perhaps that is just me.


They are horrifically over sharpened.



Sep 24, 2022 at 06:01 PM
fotografur
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


philip_pj wrote:
Well, it's better than nothing. But - over the top macro contrast (ultra narrow DR), poor tone handling, near total lack of high spatial freqency data, lack of image depth (the flat look), no shadow detail whatsoever, blocked colours, unflattering facial reproduction, bodies looked painted on to the background set. See how the red/orange tones appear to merge into each other - faces, backdrop, arms, orange top, etc? The right side guy's hands look nuked. All may have been forgiven because we all know about concert lighting.

It's a caricature of an image, because phones are 'visual shorthand', outline sketches basically.
...Show more




Sep 24, 2022 at 08:10 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

A.Y.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


I look at iPhone / smartphone development from a very optimistic POV - more and more people are able to use these ultra compact and lightweight devises to take photos and videos with fast-improving image quality. Imagine how much creativity and hard work have gone into developing these AI softwares that can produce such amazing results from these tiny sensors, especially in low-light situations.

My wife and I use our Sony cameras and iPhone side by side: I took the first image with A6000/70-350mm and my wife took the same scene with her iPhone 11 Pro ultra-wide lens. We have two POVs of the same place - nice.












Edited on Sep 24, 2022 at 10:02 PM · View previous versions



Sep 24, 2022 at 09:52 PM
dakel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


Can you use an iphone for travel photography. Absofreakinglutely. If you are only posting on social media, go for it. If you enjoy the process of photography, which it sounds like you do, then take both the iphone and Sony. Same if you plan to print anything bigger than say 8"x10".


Sep 24, 2022 at 10:00 PM
Mister-Mr
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


This brings up a couple of things for me.

First, I would think that MAYBE more innovation and work is going into the advancement of the phone cameras at this point in time. Has the innovation flattened for Sony mirrorless ? I'm not sure. Perhaps in the lower 'entry' mirrorless models it has...

Second, we really don't know how much AI is being placed into Sony's firmware. I think it's reasonable to assume that there has to be some, and something like stacking of the low light scenes in the phone could make it's way into the mirrorless body - eventually..

But given that focus stacking has yet to be implemented, don't hold your breath.

Your example is another one of just how a 'real' camera is still needed in certain situations but how often a camera phone can be sufficient ... However, that 'gap' is shrinking IMO...
.
For a casual photog, this causes me to stop and think about 'investing' further into mirrorless equipment.

.
.

A.Y. wrote:
I look at iPhone / smartphone development from a very optimistic POV - more and more people are able to use these ultra compact and lightweight devises to take photos and videos with fast-improving image quality. Imagine how much creativity and hard work have gone into developing these AI softwares that can produce such amazing results from these tiny sensors, especially in low-light situations.

My wife and I use our Sony cameras and iPhone side by side: I took the first image with A6000/70-350mm and my wife took the same scene with her iPhone 11 Pro ultra-wide lens. We have two
...Show more




Sep 25, 2022 at 07:53 AM
kaldur
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


Mister-Mr wrote:
This brings up a couple of things for me.

First, I would think that MAYBE more innovation and work is going into the advancement of the phone cameras at this point in time. Has the innovation flattened for Sony mirrorless ? I'm not sure. Perhaps in the lower 'entry' mirrorless models it has...

Second, we really don't know how much AI is being placed into Sony's firmware. I think it's reasonable to assume that there has to be some, and something like stacking of the low light scenes in the phone could make it's way into the mirrorless body - eventually..
...Show more

Interesting thoughts. I'm not sure what a "casual photog" means but speaking only for myself I select phones that fit inside the pocket of a pair of jeans, else I won't ever bring it. I've seen few high end cameras on such phones. Currently I'm using an iPhone SE 2020 and I quite like it for a lot of things where taking pictures mostly isn't it. Sometimes, mostly if outdoor and lots of light and I want everything in focus it works but it cannot do wildlife or sunstars or low light or really the kind of creative control I feel I get with my dedicated cameras and a raw converter. Even if I purchased a purse and paid the quite significant price of the highest end current iPhone it's still a square bar and my hands like a camera.


Mostly full screen images here and on Flickr on my 31,5" 4K monitor is my preferred method of viewing images.

I suppose it helps that I'm a bit of a "dedicated camera and lenses enthusiast"

Speaking of travel, that's the rather interesting topic of camera bags. Wouldn't travel without bringing a dedicated camera and a couple of lenses but then I mostly travel alone or with someone else who likes cameras on trips that are at least halfway photography-oriented. I don't travel to lie on a beach for seven days with a girlfriend.



Sep 25, 2022 at 11:43 PM
Jesse Evans
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?




RoamingScott wrote:

If you work within the known limits of the phone sensors, you can squeak some nice photos out.

Here, I knew the clouds would lose definition because of the terrible tonal transitions, so I edited in a style that I thought would be complementary to that shortcoming. A decent pic, but not one I'd ever put in my portfolio.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51853469644_56c31a6cb6_b.jpg




Great shot.



Sep 26, 2022 at 01:00 AM
srirachapapi
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


RoamingScott wrote:

If you work within the known limits of the phone sensors, you can squeak some nice photos out.

Here, I knew the clouds would lose definition because of the terrible tonal transitions, so I edited in a style that I thought would be complementary to that shortcoming. A decent pic, but not one I'd ever put in my portfolio.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51853469644_56c31a6cb6_b.jpg




This is a really cool shot!



Sep 26, 2022 at 05:37 AM
Jb502
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


lxphoto wrote:
I've carried an iPhone together with Sony (A7, A7ii, then A7C) for years.

iPhone is like a camera stuck in AUTO mode. It's better than nothing, but ...

Plenty of apps that allow full control. The built in app allows you to control exposure by either taping the screen to expose for what you want, or it has exposure compensation.

You have no control over exposure settings.

See answer above

It doesn't produce RAW files, and sometimes the JPEGs (HEIC) are awful, especially in low-light, so forget about post-processing.

Has had built in RAW in the built in app for years.

The ergonomics are horrible.
...Show more

Seems like you should have a play with a new iPhone before passing off some of your incorrect knowledge to others as fact.




Oct 03, 2022 at 06:05 AM
offtraildog
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


just back from 3 weeks in IT. took my A74, Sigma 16-28, Sigma 28-70, RX100M7 and iPhone 13Pro Max. My wife took her 12 Pro max.

I shot (raw) about 1400 with A7r, 250 with RX100M7 and 650 (HEIC) with iPhone 13PM.

My wife loves using the iPhone and it allows her to share experience with her friends .. that is her goal with photography and with that goal in mind, she has a lot of great photos. She is much happier with the 12PM IQ over her earlier iPhone.

My goal is similar - capture the experience/emotion etc. but I am also interested in IQ. I prefer using my A74 but there are times where the form factor of the RX100M7 or 13PM is preferred.

Ex - dinner. no interest in taking my A74 to a restaurant so depending onto potential for some photos outside, I took my RX100M7. IF I figured I would just capture some indoor shots of the restaurant for memories, the 13PM worked great for that goal.

Ex - wine tasting at vineyard. no interest in taking my A74 so so depending onto potential for some photos outside, I took my RX100M7. IF I figured I would just capture some indoor shots of the restaurant for memories, the 13PM worked great for that goal.

Ex - hiking around Locarno/Bellagio/Lugano/etc. took my A74 - simple decision

Ex - visting Milan/Tuscany/Piemonte. took my A74 - simple decision

The IQ of the 13PM is nice when there are ideal lighting conditions outside or inside but still does not compare to the IQ of the RX100M7 or A74. lots of noise, oversharpening, compressed colors, etc.

Having the option of all the is nice since everything can be easily transported to Europe (or wherever).

Everybody has their priorities. I saw somebody with a tripod, two cameras (UWA and tele) in the center of Milan. That is not for me but certainly preferred by some.



Oct 03, 2022 at 08:11 AM
bjhurley
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


I'm actually leaning toward getting a first-generation Sony RX1 as my minimalist travel and toss-in-a-bag camera. Having only one focal length (35mm) is limiting, but that lens is unbelievably good and makes up for the camera's technical shortcomings (battery life, lousy autofocus, poor manual focus experience, etc.). And my current phone only has one focal length anyway (I'm using an iPhone SE). I can get a used RX1 for less than the cost of a new iPhone 14 and I know I'd be happier with the images.


Oct 03, 2022 at 08:17 AM
lxphoto
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Re-evaluating my photography… can an iPhone work?


amci4 wrote:
Here are some of the accessories I mentioned above.

...

All told you’re looking at about $700 to get a good flexible and usable setup. You can add other items for arranging the Lume Cubes for Macro work and getting a better Macro lens, or black mist filters for dramatic portraits or cinematic video as well.



If you're going to carry all this gear then why not just carry a small camera? The main reason I use my iPhone camera is that it's always in my pocket. If I'm going to bring a bag of gear, might as well take at least the a5100.



Oct 05, 2022 at 10:06 PM
1       2       3              5      
6
       7       8       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       7       8       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password