Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              15       16       end
  

Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?

  
 
Oldwino
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Desmolicious wrote:
Why? I briefly had an M4 recently (briefly because the seller said it was just serviced and perfect but it had shutter issues), and already owning an M-A (also M4-2 as well as others), I was happy to have a valid reason to return it because the M-A is a new M4. Unless you think an angled rewind crank makes it an entirely new camera.
The film advance levers are interchangeable.


I am actually not hoping for any re-hashed- re-warmed left-over M version. They should actually make a new film M, one with a modern shutter, modern meter. It doesn’t need to be “mechanical perfection” or “Mostly-Alright” ( or whatever M-A stands for…). It should be a wonderfully built, fully capable film camera. It could even have auto-advance 😉



Sep 19, 2022 at 07:44 AM
Alpha_Geist
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Oldwino wrote:
I am actually not hoping for any re-hashed- re-warmed left-over M version. They should actually make a new film M, one with a modern shutter, modern meter. It doesn’t need to be “mechanical perfection” or “Mostly-Alright” ( or whatever M-A stands for…). It should be a wonderfully built, fully capable film camera. It could even have auto-advance 😉


I agree! I would buy an improved M7 MkII, with upgraded shutter and an ability to configure the LEDs in the viewfinder to one’s taste (auto rewind and the ability to disable DX even). We already have two great all mechanical film Ms to choose from (MA & MP). Let’s have a cat’s meow electronic film M!



Sep 19, 2022 at 08:47 AM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


No matter what this hypothetical "new" Leica M film camera will be in the end, I am relieved that I don't need to think about buying one while already having good working M3, M4-2, M6, and M7 cameras.


Sep 19, 2022 at 08:53 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Oldwino wrote:
I am actually not hoping for any re-hashed- re-warmed left-over M version. They should actually make a new film M, one with a modern shutter, modern meter. It doesn’t need to be “mechanical perfection” or “Mostly-Alright” ( or whatever M-A stands for…). It should be a wonderfully built, fully capable film camera. It could even have auto-advance 😉


Let's be honest here. If Leica just made a camera like the Konica Hexar RF we'd all be deliriously happy!




Sep 19, 2022 at 09:37 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


retrofocus wrote:
No matter what this hypothetical "new" Leica M film camera will be in the end, I am relieved that I don't need to think about buying one while already having good working M3, M4-2, M6, and M7 cameras.


I don't follow... I mean with that rationale you only need one of those cameras.



Sep 19, 2022 at 09:38 AM
helimat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Oldwino wrote:
I am actually not hoping for any re-hashed- re-warmed left-over M version. They should actually make a new film M, one with a modern shutter, modern meter. It doesn’t need to be “mechanical perfection” or “Mostly-Alright” ( or whatever M-A stands for…). It should be a wonderfully built, fully capable film camera. It could even have auto-advance 😉


I agree, releasing a 'new' M6 doesn't make a bunch of sense to me, as they already have the M-A & MP. It would have to be priced lower than the MP, but no lower than the M-A I would think... Which for me doesn't leave much incentive to choose the new camera over the MP as the price differential would likely be marginal. Time for something different then perhaps, that sets itself apart from the other two?

That being said, I kinda think it will be a compact P&S myself... But have nothing to base that on.



Sep 19, 2022 at 10:01 AM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Desmolicious wrote:
I don't follow... I mean with that rationale you only need one of those cameras.


I use most of them in parallel currently - for example my M3 is my go-to camera for 50 and 90 mm lenses with its larger magnification, my M6 is used all the time with B&W film, my M7 with color films. The M4-2 was given recently to me by a good friend - so I keep it, too. No need for an additional film M one either used or new at this point.



Sep 19, 2022 at 10:56 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


helimat wrote:
I agree, releasing a 'new' M6 doesn't make a bunch of sense to me, as they already have the M-A & MP. It would have to be priced lower than the MP, but no lower than the M-A I would think... Which for me doesn't leave much incentive to choose the new camera over the MP as the price differential would likely be marginal. Time for something different then perhaps, that sets itself apart from the other two?

That being said, I kinda think it will be a compact P&S myself... But have nothing to base that on.


A new CM makes a whole lotta sense as it would not take anything from the M market, plus the demand for high end P&S cameras is robust.
Also Leica tagged a pic of the CM, and gave a little history behind it recently.
Also also - there is a claim that the new film camera has been in the hands of testers 'out in the field' for months now. If it is a new M6, what's to test? So that suggests a different type of film camera.

But this could all be just another wild goose chase.




Sep 19, 2022 at 12:14 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Desmolicious wrote:
A new CM makes a whole lotta sense as it would not take anything from the M market, plus the demand for high end P&S cameras is robust.
Also Leica tagged a pic of the CM, and gave a little history behind it recently.
Also also - there is a claim that the new film camera has been in the hands of testers 'out in the field' for months now. If it is a new M6, what's to test? So that suggests a different type of film camera.

But this could all be just another wild goose chase.



I mentioned a new CL as possibility early on in the thread about a possible "cheap" Leica M camera. Main problem I see here is that the CL had to be pulled in the past from the market by Leica itself because it damaged too much the other - more expensive - M camera business. I am pretty sure Leica doesn't want to repeat this. To avoid it with a potential new CL release, they would need to price it unreasonably high. Not an unthinkable option the way Leica is currently going, but the camera then will likely fall short with expected demand for it.

Edit: corrected to CL!

Edited on Sep 19, 2022 at 12:43 PM · View previous versions



Sep 19, 2022 at 12:21 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


retrofocus wrote:
I mentioned a new CM as possibility early on in the thread about a possible "cheap" Leica M camera. Main problem I see here is that the CM had to be pulled in the past from the market by Leica itself because it damaged too much the other - more expensive - M camera business. I am pretty sure Leica doesn't want to repeat this. To avoid it with a potential new CM release, they would need to price it unreasonably high. Not an unthinkable option the way Leica is currently going, but the camera then will likely fall short
...Show more

I think you are confusing the CM with the CL. The CL was the compact M mount rangefinder. The CM was the high end P&S with Summarit 40mm lens.



Sep 19, 2022 at 12:25 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Desmolicious wrote:
I think you are confusing the CM with the CL. The CL was the compact M mount rangefinder. The CM was the high end P&S with Summarit 40mm lens.


You are right, I thought this was all the same for the formerly correctly named CL! Didn't even know the CM existed! Thanks for pointing this out! Such P&S CM-like camera might be sufficient enough for Leica to differentiate it from the M-A and M-P versions to avoid in-house competition. Still bears the question for how much Leica would price such CM.....



Sep 19, 2022 at 12:42 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


I honestly think we're onto something. An advanced compact would not cut into MP/M-A sales, and there is a decent sized market for it for sure, enough that it could be priced 'high', but nowhere near the M film cameras. IE; $2K-ish 📸


Sep 19, 2022 at 12:55 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


helimat wrote:
I honestly think we're onto something. An advanced compact would not cut into MP/M-A sales, and there is a decent sized market for it for sure, enough that it could be priced 'high', but nowhere near the M film cameras. IE; $2K-ish 📸


But even at such or similar looking price tag, the used M film camera market becomes attractive again, too.



Sep 19, 2022 at 12:57 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


retrofocus wrote:
But even at such or similar looking price tag, the used M film camera market becomes attractive again, too.


I think a large portion of buyers for such a camera would already have M cameras. Like myself, with the Klasse S and GA645i (to mention a few) in addition to a M kit.

Or others, that just want one Leica camera for the bling, and don't necessarily want to delve into a whole kit. (Thinking of the Contax T2 craze in Hollywood)

Again, just theories.



Sep 19, 2022 at 12:59 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


retrofocus wrote:
But even at such or similar looking price tag, the used M film camera market becomes attractive again, too.


The CM was a super high quality P&S with a superb lens. But as Leica admitted, the timing of it was terrible as it showed up pretty much when the film market crashed.
Similar to my Rollei QZ35W which is an amazing P&S camera (shutter speeds 16 sec to 1/8000 in manual and auto!!!).

I do not see much risk of an M buyer deciding on a CM instead. They are totally different. If a new CM showed , I'd be in. And you could do the math the way Q2 owners do - this camera may be expensive but it comes with a lens! A Leica M (or SL etc) is expensive and on top of that you need to buy a lens!

A new M6? meh, more of the same.



Sep 19, 2022 at 02:46 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


helimat wrote:
I think a large portion of buyers for such a camera would already have M cameras. Like myself, with the Klasse S and GA645i (to mention a few) in addition to a M kit.

Or others, that just want one Leica camera for the bling, and don't necessarily want to delve into a whole kit. (Thinking of the Contax T2 craze in Hollywood)

Again, just theories.


Desmolicious wrote:
The CM was a super high quality P&S with a superb lens. But as Leica admitted, the timing of it was terrible as it showed up pretty much when the film market crashed.
Similar to my Rollei QZ35W which is an amazing P&S camera (shutter speeds 16 sec to 1/8000 in manual and auto!!!).

I do not see much risk of an M buyer deciding on a CM instead. They are totally different. If a new CM showed , I'd be in. And you could do the math the way Q2 owners do - this camera may be expensive but it comes
...Show more

Agree with both of you. I actually have the Rollei 35 with Tessar 40/3.5 lens - fits easily in a pocket and easy to travel with, image quality is great, too. Not my favorite flavor though - I was never appealed to use fixed lens cameras if not otherwise avoidable (but this is just me). I will certainly not be in the market for such potential CM camera but maybe others are as pointed out.



Sep 19, 2022 at 03:42 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


retrofocus wrote:
Agree with both of you. I actually have the Rollei 35 with Tessar 40/3.5 lens - fits easily in a pocket and easy to travel with, image quality is great, too. Not my favorite flavor though - I was never appealed to use fixed lens cameras if not otherwise avoidable (but this is just me). I will certainly not be in the market for such potential CM camera but maybe others are as pointed out.


The Rollei 35 series is very hard to focus accurately at larger apertures/wide open and closer distances. Lack of any focusing aids and the 40mm focal length will do that. Image quality is great if focus is nailed.
I actually use the Rollei 40mm Sonnar in LTM mount. That way I can use it on my Ms which have the RF mechanism! Sweet lens.



Sep 19, 2022 at 05:56 PM
d.s.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


Didn’t the Minilux and CM share a (cough bullshit) 0.3x finder? Hopefully that would be the first mistake they corrected.


Sep 19, 2022 at 08:24 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?


d.s. wrote:
Didn’t the Minilux and CM share a (cough bullshit) 0.3x finder? Hopefully that would be the first mistake they corrected.


The Minilux had the peephole finder. The CM was an improved Minilux and one those things was the VF.



Sep 19, 2022 at 11:56 PM
d.s.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Will Leica bring the M6 film camera back to life?




Desmolicious wrote:
The Minilux had the peephole finder. The CM was an improved Minilux and one those things was the VF.


My mistake, but still “Magification - 0.40 x, viewfinder field corresponds to approx. 90 % of the film format” not great.



Sep 20, 2022 at 05:16 AM
1      
2
       3              15       16       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              15       16       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password