New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

naturephoto1
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

I am thinking about placing an order for the Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens in the middle of next month for usage with my Cambo Actus mini with the full tilt package that I use with my Sony cameras as a digital back.

I came across mention of the lens and a link on another forum where I was again contemplating the Pentax 35mm 645 lens to use with my Actus. Our very own Rob (rdeloe) had been working to modifiy one of the Samyang 24mm f3.5 tilt shift lens to work with his own cameras. He commented how it would be nice to find a clean version of the lens that didn't need to be modified to remove the tilt and shift portions of the lens and he posted to this link:

https://tinyurl.com/4fhn2evp

The lens is also available from Swebo through Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084KJ9NYK/?coliid=I2YD6BQ1YHLAYL&colid=1FWHV6EZ0GE5U&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

In fact, I know of no other source for the lens besides listed above.

I am not sure if the listing on Aliexpress is in fact Swebo, and when I sent a query they did not respond that they were, but it is the same shop that I purchased the Swebo LS001 focusing rail and they had about 40 of these when I ordered the focusing rail and they have 20 of the lenses on hand now.

It is pretty evident that this lens and the Cambo Actar 24 is derived from the Samyang 24mm f3.5 tilt shift lens and all have the same optical design.

Below are photos of all 3 lenses:

The first is the Samyang lens:

The second the Swebo TC24mm f3.5 lens:

The third is the Cambo Actar 24:

Also, our own Brad (freaklikeme) also worked on his Samyang 24mm f3.5 tilt shift lens to remove the tilt and shift to work on his Cambo Acuts mini in the past as well.

We know about the issues with the Samyang lens itself, but my suspicion is that both Cambo and Swebo contracted with Samyang to make their own versions of the lens to work easily with their cameras.

In the case of the Cambo Actar 24, Cambo has elliminated all of the extras including foucs and T/S and now sells for $1820 and comes mounted to its own flat Cambo Actus lens plate. The Swebo version of the lens like the Actar has ellimated all of the tilt and shift portion of the lens, includes the focus capablilty and comes in an M39mm thread size and has a selling price of $990 or $999. As it is, I have a couple of spare Cambo Actus M39mm lens plates (which like other Actus lens plates is slightly recessed) on hand and I can free up another if I decide to purchase additional M39mm to Leica R adapters to use those lenses on my Cambo Modified Leica R lens plate.

In the case of the Cambo Actar 24 we have seen limited reports of the performance of the lens, but from those in the know and with good well centered copies, we know that the lens performs close to the performance of the Canon 24mm f3.5 TS II lens and we do not have the difficulties and expense of mounting the Canon on the Actus (or for that matter the Samyang TS lens).

In the case of the Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 version of the lens, I know of no one owning or using the lens. The only photos that I have seen using the lens are a small number of images posted on the Swebo Facebook page which has had no postings since April 3 of this year.

By the way the Samyang lens and the variations are known to perform their best between f5.6 (preferably f8) and f11 which is fine for my application.

Also and since as a surprise, B+W has changed their 82mm XS-PRO MRC NANO UV and other UV filters. They have changed their packaging and now changed the outer filter ring with knurls which I do not want for this application and do not want any potential interference with the lens lens cap. I have placed an order coming from China for one of the old versions of the filter and hope that it is the real thing or it will be returned to the seller on eBay.

Anyway with the anticipated purchase of the Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens it will join my other Rodenstock and SK Tech, large format, Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC lens, and Apo Enlarger lenses to be used with my Actus.

At this point due to the extremely bubous Cambo Actar 19mm and Actar 15mm lenses and expense I do not anticipate going wider than the 24mm lens to use with the camera. Any wider than that, then I plan to reply upon using my Leica M WATE and my SK Grimes modified CV 12mm f5.6 Heliar III VM lens modified to use 62mm filters. With the WATE and the CV 12mm lens I just will need to use the lens alone and/or rely on rotation for stitching and lack the ability to have rise/fall, tilt, etc.

I look forward to comments and suggestions.

Rich

Edited on Sep 14, 2022 at 08:48 PM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2022 at 05:40 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

Hey, Rich,

Technically, Cambo did have these made specifically for the Actus. The biggest difference, aside from removing the bellows, is that they also removed the FLE, so the rebrand is optimized for infinity and takes on some FC when focused closer. That and the lower cost were the reasons I decided to go with the Samyang. It's ridiculously easy to remove the bellows from the lens and refit it on an M39 plate (I can't remember if I used Cambo OEM or a Chinese knock-off- whichever had the flat plate). I drilled the four necessary holes in the plate, printed the small plastic ring that held the aperture ring in place, flocked over the screw heads to avoid reflections, and I was good to go.

If you plan to use the lens mostly at infinity, it probably won't matter to you. If mid to close quality is important, I'd say the mod is worth the trouble, or it looks like the Sweebo has a helicoid, so they likely retained the FLE. That said, we're not talking spectacular optics here. The lens is really never better than the original Canon 24/3.5L. It'll need significant stopping down to get the best results, particularly when you start employing any shift.

Sep 14, 2022 at 08:11 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

freaklikeme wrote:
Hey, Rich,e

Technically, Cambo did have these made specifically for the Actus. The biggest difference, aside from removing the bellows, is that they also removed the FLE, so the rebrand is optimized for infinity and takes on some FC when focused closer. That and the lower cost were the reasons I decided to go with the Samyang. It's ridiculously easy to remove the bellows from the lens and refit it on an M39 plate (I can't remember if I used Cambo OEM or a Chinese knock-off- whichever had the flat plate). I drilled the four necessary holes in the plate, printed
...Show more

Hi Brad,

I appreciate that I need to stop down quite a bit for the best performance (usually f8 or f11; f5.6 may have some application). The same is the situation with my Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC (where f11 is recommended for the most shift). As to the Canon 28mm f3.5 TS II, I am not willing to spend the price for the lens and the Cambo ACB-CA Lensplate with Canon EF Bayonet now costs $1446 to be able to adjust the aperture of the lens (es). Additionally it is my understanding that with the enlargement of the grips on the Sony bodies including my Kolari Vision UT sensor modified A7rII, stock A7rIII, and A1 there is now an issue using shift with the Cambo ACB-CA Lensplate with Canon EF Bayonet there is limited shift in my understanding to the left of about 4mm of the camera due to the camera grips more recent than the original A7r/A7. Yes, I still have a stock and a Kolari Vision Thin Sensor A7r with the smaller grip, but the newer cameras have more MP, improved EVFs, better handling, less shutter shock issue, silent shutter, etc.

Rich

Sep 14, 2022 at 08:35 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

That "Swebo" branded lens is obviously just a rehoused Samyang 24mm 3.5.
Used that lens once, resolution was so bad (especially in the shifted areas) a crop from a Nikon AF-S 14-24mm 2.8 yielded more detail.
That was 6 years ago, when there weren't higher resolving ultra wide angle lenses like the latest Sigma 14-24mm 2.8 DG DN available.

For me it was and still is the most useless shift lens. Because of its bad image quality it really ruins the idea of using a longer lens and then stitching to get more details in the pictures.

More pixels does not equal more details.

Sep 15, 2022 at 12:11 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

If people are so much against using any of the options of the Samyang 24mm 3.5 or its derivations on my Cambo Actus mini with my Sony cameras as a digital back, I am not sure what to do for using lenses wider than my Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC. As mentioned above and biting the bullet and buying the Cambo ACB-CA Lensplate with Canon EF Bayonet for $1446 and using any of my Sony bodies more recent than my A7r cameras there is limited shift in my understanding to the left of about 4mm of the camera due to the camera grips. So, I believe unless I am willing to only use be limited to my A7r cameras that using any of the modern EF lenses, the Canon lenses are out to use the Cambo Actus for lenses 24mm and wider and to have the ability to adjust the lens aperture without using a Canon body to make the adjustment and to then to remount the lens on the Actus.

In the case of the modern Nikon PC and other lenses, I believe that they too need a Nikon body to adjust the aperture since that is now the job of the camera without any ability to adjust the apertures on the lenses. So, I believe that I would require a Nikon body to do the same as with the Canon system. I do not believe that the Cambo Nikon lens plate solves this problem.

The only options that I can then see to avoid the Samyang 24mm and its derivitives along with the Cambo Actus and any of my Sony bodies newer than my A7r cameras are the Cambo Actar 19 and the Cambo Actar 15mm lenses. Unfortunatley these lenses have such protruding bulbous front elements they offer no way to protect the front elements and accept no filters, There is also the cost of the lenses.

Cambo Actar19mm, $5996

https://digitalback.com/products/cambo-actar-19-ultra-wide-angle-lens-for-actus

Cambo Actar 15mm, $1950

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1683176-REG/cambo_99070815_actar_15_lensplate_with_15mm.html

I could use lenses on the camera with adapters and not attached to the Actus, but unless a special mount was made/available, the lens would move rather than the camera body which is preferred for rise/fall and shift.

I am not sure if any of the Laowa options could be attached to the Cambo Actus and what lens plate would be needed (maybe the 15mm shift lens and which mount and the standard Cambo Actus Canon EF standard lens plate). But, that is getting extremely wide.

There is the Hartblei H-Cam B1 and their options but again expensive and just using the camera and not the Cambo Actus.

Are there any other suggestions that members can suggest so that I can mount the lens on the Cambo Actus that is 24mm or wider, that I can adjust the lens aperture, use at least some filters (preferrably to protect the front element), use with my more recent than A7r cameras like my Kolari Vision UT sensor modified A7rII, stock A7rIII, A1 and not restrict the shift of the camera due to the bigger grips (and not require the camera maker lens and swpping the lens back to the Actus), nor break the bank.

Rich

Edited on Sep 15, 2022 at 07:48 AM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2022 at 06:34 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

As Bastian says, the Samyang is optically and mechanically sub-par.

Personally, I don't see any advantage with this system over using Sony a7R4 with Canon 17 and 24 TS-E lenses in a much more convenient package. Shifted image panos can generate huge files of ultra wide angle view.

That said, I've come around to the simplicity of shooting with great primes such as various Zeiss or even zooms like 16-35mm range with software like LR to build composite/pano images when desired. It's just amazing to me what can be done with a digital body and ultra-wide lens arrangement.

Sep 15, 2022 at 07:48 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

Gunzorro wrote:
As Bastian says, the Samyang is optically and mechanically sub-par.

Personally, I don't see any advantage with this system over using Sony a7R4 with Canon 17 and 24 TS-E lenses in a much more convenient package. Shifted image panos can generate huge files of ultra wide angle view.

That said, I've come around to the simplicity of shooting with great primes such as various Zeiss or even zooms like 16-35mm range with software like LR to build composite/pano images when desired. It's just amazing to me what can be done with a digital body and ultra-wide lens arrangement.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the comments. I am not sure if you have used a view camera or a large format field camera before. Yes they are slower, more cumbersome, more deliberate, and more thought provoking, and requires some thought.

But, with my Cambo Actus with full tilt package, I can use all of my Tech lenses (Rodenstock, Sinar (a Rodenstock lens rebadged), SK (55mm, 90mm, 120mm, 150mm), Large Format lenses, Apo Rodenstock and SK Enlarger lenses, SK and Rodenstock macro lenses, RMS Macro and microscope lenses by Leitz, Canon, Minolta, and JML, Leica R lenses including my leica R 100mm f4 Macro Bellows lens, Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC. etc for Tilt and swing front and back standard sort of of for the back, and shift for all of the lenses. Adding something perhaps like the Laowa 15mm shift lens with the Standard Cambo Actus standard Canon Cambo Plate would be the smart option and would again provide both tilt and swing as well as shift to the system.

Rich

Sep 15, 2022 at 08:13 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the comments. I am not sure if you have used a view camera or a large format field camera before. Yes they are slower, more cumbersome, more deliberate, and more thought provoking, and requires some thought.

But, with my Cambo Actus with full tilt package, I can use all of my Tech lenses (Rodenstock, Sinar (a Rodenstock lens rebadged), SK), Large Format lenses, Apo Rodenstock and SK Enlarger lenses, SK and Rodenstock macro lenses, Leica R lenses including my leica R 100mm f4 Macro Bellows lens, Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC. etc for Tilt and swing
...Show more

Thanks Rich.

Yes, for many years (80s-90s) I shot architecture in LA with Toyo 45G and Tachihara 4x5, and very rarely catalog shots (and Mamiya RB67). I carted the big Toyo G around Yosemite and Sequoia for several years, before getting the Tachihara. I used Nikon 65mm, Fuji 90, Fuji 135, and Fuji 250, on Linhoff lens boards between the two cameras (Toyo/Linhoff adapter). I didn't give it all up until moving into the new digital millennium. I'm always amazed at the results from current FF and PP like LR, etc. No more waiting for film to get processed and all the delivering back and forth from clients to lab, on and on . . .

Sep 15, 2022 at 08:35 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

I cut my teeth with 4x5/8x10 view cameras and than on to Medium format tech cams for a long time. So tilt and swing where and still are a big deal for certain shooters. Today not doing much of that work I still think a Canon 17,24 TSE are the most logical way to go and far easier to deal with, With the A1 now at 50 mpx compared to my digital back at 60mpx which I have done some comparisons years ago its not the biggest worldly difference in optical quality given the money output. I still love Medium Format backs but the are also very limiting so in general they can't do it all like a 35 body. Remember your always on a tripod with a tech cam. For landscape and architecture type work that's fine but anything else than life becomes tougher. Ive run into these roadblocks even with Leica rangefinders. Its always about managing those limitations they create. Today ill just go happily into the night with my A1.

Years ago that's what you did to get the best quality files. Today with the advent of really good glass and sensors that are 50 and above that question mark on choice becomes larger.

Bottom line in 35mm arena doing this type of work. get the best TSE you can get.

Sep 15, 2022 at 09:34 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

I doubt anyone's against it, Rich. I think we're all just trying to share our experiences and prepare you for what you're getting into. Not being able to get a decent wide was one of the reasons I gave up the Actus mini for the Actus DB.

One thing I would consider in your position is the fact that Cambo is willing to convert the Contax 645 35/3.5 into a retrofitted Actar. I don't know what they charge for a retrofit, but you can pick up the lens itself off the boards from a highly reputable seller for $650 all-in (https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1773301). You'll get a much better lens, and a two shot pano in portrait will get you roughly the same field of view as a 24.

Sep 15, 2022 at 04:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

freaklikeme wrote:
I doubt anyone's against it, Rich. I think we're all just trying to share our experiences and prepare you for what you're getting into. Not being able to get a decent wide was one of the reasons I gave up the Actus mini for the Actus DB.

One thing I would consider in your position is the fact that Cambo is willing to convert the Contax 645 35/3.5 into a retrofitted Actar. I don't know what they charge for a retrofit, but you can pick up the lens itself off the boards from a highly reputable seller for $650 all-in
...Show more

Hi Brad,

Thank you. I found a March of 2020 thread showing that Cambo charged $1075 for the conversion of the Contax 645 35mm to the Actar 35. I would presume that it is even more espensive now. There are also many Pentax A 645 35mm f3.5 lenses available on eBay for about $300 which is what I was again contemplainting when I came across the Sweebo TC24. The Pentax 35mm is also supposed to be an excellent performer from everything that I have read again I could get the Cambo Actus Pentax 645 lens panel for $473.00 or a simpler Chinese Pentax 645 lebs panel for $266 on eBay.

Rich

Sep 15, 2022 at 05:30 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

Rich, I'm in the same boat as you. I've been looking for a lens wider than 35mm for a long time. I still use the Samyang 24/3.5 because it's the best option that works on my MAB camera.

The lens can deliver if used carefully, especially at f/11 to f/16. I don't think it's usable wider than f/8, and even f/8 is touch and go.

I used it this summer for several projects and it came through for me. Both of these examples are sharp right into the corners on a GFX 50R, and both involved tilt and some rise.

I'm convinced that a lot of the bad press is due to the terrible tilt-shift mechanism. I solved that problem by taking it completely off the tilt-shift assembly and remounting it on a M42x1 plate. This is a recent development (May I think), so you may have seen the version that still used the tilt piece locked down. Here it is on the MAB. The second part in the picture with the lens is a M42x1 to OM adapter.

Regarding that Cambo lens, I have one concern for which I don't have an answer. The Samyang 24/3.5 tilt-shift is a floating element design. For best performance, I have to set it at the correct flange distance on my MAB camera, and then focus by the ring. The Cambo Actar doesn't seem to have a focus ring. They treat it as unit focus. If it's simply the Samyang in a new housing, I don't see how you'd get decent image quality at closer distances by rail focusing the thing because you need to use the focus ring to activate the floating element.

The Swebo, in contrast, looks like mine -- a remounted Samy.

Sep 15, 2022 at 06:43 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Brad,

Thank you. I found a March of 2020 thread showing that Cambo charged $1075 for the conversion of the Contax 645 35mm to the Actar 35. I would presume that it is even more espensive now. There are also many Pentax A 645 35mm f3.5 lenses available on eBay for about $300 which is what I was again contemplainting when I came across the Sweebo TC24. The Pentax 35mm is also supposed to be an excellent performer from everything that I have read again I could get the Cambo Actus Pentax 645 lens panel for $473.00 or a simpler
...Show more

Hey, Rich,

Yeah, the P645 lenses likely would be a better bet. I never used mine on the Actus, but they got plenty of use on my 645D and Z. The 35 doesn't have quite the bite of the Contax 35, but it's much smaller and lighter and still a better lens than the Samyang.

645D_Pentax35_Color! by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

645D_Pentax35_Stump by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

Sep 15, 2022 at 06:45 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Brad,

Thank you. I found a March of 2020 thread showing that Cambo charged $1075 for the conversion of the Contax 645 35mm to the Actar 35. I would presume that it is even more espensive now. There are also many Pentax A 645 35mm f3.5 lenses available on eBay for about $300 which is what I was again contemplainting when I came across the Sweebo TC24. The Pentax 35mm is also supposed to be an excellent performer from everything that I have read again I could get the Cambo Actus Pentax 645 lens panel for $473.00 or a simpler
...Show more

Rich, the Pentax-A 645 is superb. You simply can't go wrong with that one... unless you shoot architecture and need simple distortion that's easy to correct. Like your PC Super Angulon 28/2.8, the Pentax has the moustache form that is common with older wide angle designs. Interestingly, the Samy 24/3.5 has simple barrel -- quite strong but easy to correct.

I have a PC Super Angulon 28/2.8 in the mail. It's coming from Germany, by fishing boat from what I can tell based on transit time. It's my last hope in the 28mm focal length. I've already ruled out the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5, and the Pentax K 28/3.5 shift (both sadly bad). Nothing I've tried so far comes close to the Pentax-A 645 35/3.5 flat stitched to make an equivalent to 28mm angle of view.

Sep 15, 2022 at 06:46 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

freaklikeme wrote:
Hey, Rich,

Yeah, the P645 lenses likely would be a better bet. I never used mine on the Actus, but they got plenty of use on my 645D and Z. The 35 doesn't have quite the bite of the Contax 35, but it's much smaller and lighter and still a better lens than the Samyang.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7568/15687055455_dd9832e33d_o.jpg645D_Pentax35_Color! by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/3946/15067116894_96fd5f2cb0_o.jpg645D_Pentax35_Stump by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

Hi Brad,

Thank you.

rdeloe wrote:
Rich, the Pentax-A 645 is superb. You simply can't go wrong with that one... unless you shoot architecture and need simple distortion that's easy to correct. Like your PC Super Angulon 28/2.8, the Pentax has the moustache form that is common with older wide angle designs. Interestingly, the Samy 24/3.5 has simple barrel -- quite strong but easy to correct.

I have a PC Super Angulon 28/2.8 in the mail. It's coming from Germany, by fishing boat from what I can tell based on transit time. It's my last hope in the 28mm focal length. I've already ruled out
...Show more

Hi Rob,

My first purchase on FM was my Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC. It is a good lens relatively sharp to the corners shifted probably about 10mm on 35mm at f11 which is recommended. Soon after purchase I purchased one of the special B+W 67mm to 82mm UV Filters. It is no longer available and was made for the lens. The lens has a special internal 67mm thread size. At this point, in order to use any filters I have to keep the filter in place and add something 82mm in size for a round filter or one of the WA 82mm Lee 100 filter holder rings. I am not sure how you will add filters unless you send the lens off to SK Grimes to make an adapter or can find the special internal filter thread.

Also, be aware of the thin rotating ring around the mount it does make it a bit difficult to grab and release. When I mounted the lens on my Cambo Actus Leica R lens panel I had a dickens of time releasing the lens. Cambo was kind enough to resolve the issue and modified the lens panel at no charge to allow the lens to be mounted and removed. There was an issue after that and a spring popped. But Cambo again fixed the problem and no issues since. But, there is still a bit of issue releasing the lens from the lens panel due to the thin ring. But that is not a fault of Cambo just the thin rotating ring.

So now I am debating do I just stay with 28mm as my widest lens, do I get the Pentax A35, do I take the gamble and purchse the Sweebo TC24, or do I opt for something like the Laowa 20mm shift lens and a Cambo standard Canon lens plate.

Rich

Sep 15, 2022 at 07:05 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Brad,

Thank you.

Hi Rob,

My first purchase on FM was my Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC. It is a good lens relatively sharp to the corners shifted probably about 10mm on 35mm at f11 which is recommended. Soon after purchase I purchased one of the special B+W 67mm to 82mm UV Filters. It is no longer available and was made for the lens. The lens has a special internal 67mm thread size. At this point, in order to use any filters I have to keep the filter in place and add something 82mm in size for a round filter
...Show more

It's good to see another positive report on the Leica PC Super Angulon 28/2.8. I'm going to test it on a Leica R to GFX adapter I bought for that purpose. If it passes muster, it's going to my workbench for disassembly and remounting. I will remove the tilt-shift mechanism and fit a new mount. If the barrel is narrow enough, I'll put it directly on an OM mount so it fits right onto my MAB camera's OM mount. If not, I'll mount it like the Samy.

I read a lot about these lenses so I know about the crazy M67x0.5mm filter thread. There's one of those filters for sale on eBay right now for nearly $700 USD. I do not think so! If I'm keeping the lens, given what I'm going to do to it to remount it, it won't bother me a bit to mount an exterior thread assembly around the barrel so I can use my 82mm CPL.

You and I have been having exactly the same debate! Most of the time I find 24mm on GFX is too wide for my tastes. I'm honestly happy with 35mm on GFX 90% of the time. I bought the Samy, and now this Leica, for that last 10%.

Everyone sensible recommends flat stitching the 35mm. It works, and can produce an excellent, detailed file. But I don't find flat stitching reliable in the field, and more importantly it just doesn't work for a lot of the subjects I shoot because something is often moving! Plus I have such a strong preference for working within a single frame.

Sep 15, 2022 at 07:23 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

I am still debating what to do at this point. But, if I decide to purchase one of the Pentax 645 A35mm lenses for usage with my Cambo Actus Mini for usage with my Sony bodies, do you think that I should get one of the less expensive Chinese Cambo Actus type Pentax 645 lensboards (simpler and less expensive at around $266):

https://tinyurl.com/3cnu3rt7

or spend the money for Cambo's own Cambo Actus ACB-P645 Pentax 645 lens Plate that includes the ability to adjust the lens aperture (I believe needed for some of the more recent lenses) for $473:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1131846-REG/cambo_99070719_lensplate_with_pentax_645_lens.html/overview

Rich

Sep 16, 2022 at 06:32 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

Hi Rich,

I've been using two separate TS systems, for 15+ years. One is based on a Mamiya 645 Auto Bellows N (with movements), which is used mostly for macro in the studio, and for experimenting.

The other system, which gets far more use, is based on Canon TS-E lenses, and a Mirex M645 to EF T-S adapter. This system is anchored at the wide end by the Canon TS-E 17/4L and TS-E 24/3.5L II. At 35mm, I have the shift-only Contax PC-Distagon 35/2.8 CY (best ever), and that's where I enter the Mamiya 645 lens lineup, with the C 35/3.5N.

In the olden days (1DsIII), I compared the Mamiya 645 35/3.5N and SMC Pentax-FA 645 35/3.5 (no movements), and they were very similar. I tried to craft a P645 to M645 adapter, and so use it on the Mirex, but that was a total fail. Based solely on register distance, there could be enough space for a simple adapter, but no. The P645 lens has like wisdom teeth that stick further into the camera than other mounts. Anyway, I sold the -FA P645 35/3.5 to Mike Broomfield, who went into a huddle with Mirex... viola: a P645 Mirex adapter appeared. @mcbroomf Unfortunately, the Mirex site currently says only, "We have terminated our internet presence until further notice".

As an anchor point for the Mamiya 645 35/3.5N, it's very similar to the TS-E 24/3.5L II + 1.4x III (with shift, on 1DsIII). OTOH, the M645 has more subtle colours than typical L-series and modern Zeiss lenses. Not too far off Pentax SMC K-mount and OM MC lenses.

With respect to your question about generic vs Cambo P645 adapter, I only note that the lens has an aperture ring, and so that feature isn't so critical. OTOH, the Cambo is probably very reliable, while generics can be less so; unless, there's evidence to support that the specific generic is a decent product.

Cheers,
Jim

Sep 16, 2022 at 12:51 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

I had good luck with some Chinese parts (the aforementioned plate for the Samyang, and a long rail and bellows) and bad luck with others (a Hassy H back adapter and a Hassy V lens plate) that were junk. The lens plate fell apart when I tried to mount my S-Planar 135 and the back adapter allowed light leaks. Same seller for all, and they'd been very communicative up until I reported issues. Then they couldn't be bothered. I had to rely on eBay and PayPal for resolution and it was a big hassle.

So, with the lens plate, I would avoid that hassle and suck up the cost for OEM. Cambo stands behind their products with great customer service, and that's worth the extra money to me.

Sep 16, 2022 at 01:03 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Rich,

I've been using two separate TS systems, for 15+ years. One is based on a Mamiya 645 Auto Bellows N (with movements), which is used mostly for macro in the studio, and for experimenting.

The other system, which gets far more use, is based on Canon TS-E lenses, and a Mirex M645 to EF T-S adapter. This system is anchored at the wide end by the Canon TS-E 17/4L and TS-E 24/3.5L II. At 35mm, I have the shift-only Contax PC-Distagon 35/2.8 CY (best ever), and that's where I enter the Mamiya 645 lens lineup, with the C 35/3.5N.
...Show more

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the input.

freaklikeme wrote:
I had good luck with some Chinese parts (the aforementioned plate for the Samyang, and a long rail and bellows) and bad luck with others (a Hassy H back adapter and a Hassy V lens plate) that were junk. The lens plate fell apart when I tried to mount my S-Planar 135 and the back adapter allowed light leaks. Same seller for all, and they'd been very communicative up until I reported issues. Then they couldn't be bothered. I had to rely on eBay and PayPal for resolution and it was a big hassle.

So, with the lens plate, I
...Show more

Hi Brad,

Thank you. Point well taken regarding Cambo and their standing behind their products and their customer service. As I have mentioned I had a problem with my Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC lens and my Cambo Actus Leica R lens plate. I had to struggle to release the lens. Capture Integration and Cambo took care of the problem and the Lens Plate and the lens were sent off to the Netherlands and they solved the problem with a modification (that they now have on file for anyone that needs such a modification) at no charge and that included shipping to and from. When one of the springs for the modified Leica R lens plate popped, again Cambo took care of the issue at no charge and covered shipping both ways and I have had no issue since.

So, I will take your suggestion and bite the bullet and purchase Cambo's ACB-P645 Pentax 645 lens Plate if I purchase one of the Pentax 645 A35mm lenses (at this time or in the future).

The focal lengths that I have/use at present with my Cambo Actus mini and my Sony bodies at this consisting of Rodentsock and SK Apo Englarging lenses, Tech Lenses in Copal 0.0 Shutters made my Rodenstock and SK, LF lenses in SK, and Leica R are 28mm, 40mm, 50mm, 55mm, 90mm, 100mm, 105mm, 120mm, 150mm, 180mm, and 80-200mm. Additionally I have other macro lens in various focal lengths as well.

I am still struggling over what to do now and possibly the last purchase for the system or at least for sometime. Do I need/want a lens wider than my Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC to use with my Actus Mini more than I want a better performing lens in the 35mm focal length for the same set-up.

Rob has posted some good evidence that the Samyang 24mm T/S lens with the removal of the T/S can produce excellent results at f11 with tilt and some rise with his bellows mounted Fujifilm GFX50. Providing the Sweebo TC24 is as we suspect, well done and much like Rob's modification it will probably stand up to the resolution of my A1 with tilt and a fair amount of rise/fall/shift and for flat sttiching providing the conditions allow and wind and movement are not an issue and I use f11 or possibly even f16.

On the other hand the Pentax A35mm lens is a better performing optic than the Samyang.

I do have some outstanding M mount lenses in both focal lengths that I use though infrequently with my Kolari Vision UT sensor modified 42 MP A7rII which are the Leica M 24mm f3.8 Elmar Asph (which I purchased from Mike Broomfield) and my Zeiss 35mm f1.4 Distagon ZM. As I indicated these are not the focal legths that I normally carry with my usual shooting which normally consist of my Kolari Vision UT sensor modified A7rII and my A1 cameras. For that set-up, I normally carry my Leica M WATE, CV 28mm f2 Ultron II VM, CV 50mm f2 Apo-Lanthar Asph, FE mount (mounted on my A1) and either my CV 90mm f2.8 Apo-Skopar VM or my 85mm f/4 Tele-Tessar ZM.

Rich

Sep 16, 2022 at 01:43 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password