Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       end

New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

goodbokeh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

kinetic wrote:
Where is everyone ordering? As far as I can tell, the U.S. dealers seem to all be on backorder (for the black version). I've signed up for notifications for all of them, but it looks like it'll be awhile.

I'm watching the 35 FLE II at B&H because I have a PayBoo card and they'll pay my Tumwater 9.5% sales tax. There, both the silver and black versions are in backorder status.

I imagine the black FLE II is more popular and the "flexible" color choice but the silver is so handsome. I wonder if a silver lens on a black body is as taboo as it once was? I mean you see Canons with white zoom lenses all the time, what's the difference, stealth? Now days if it's not a cell phone being used it attracts attention no matter what the camera is my experience.

Mar 11, 2023 at 11:52 AM
ZdevilH1
• •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

Boy, such a small, light and awesome f stop. Thanks for the suggestion ArchnemeSwiss!

I just love the CV 35 1.4 v2! It also is tiny and fast. And cheap. Buy one used and keep it as a hold over until you get whatever you are waiting for. If you sell it, you'll get your money back (if you buy it used). But most prob you'll hold onto it.
I think Fred has compared its rendering as similar to the Leica 35mm steel rim.

---------------------------------------------
This is exactly what just did tonight. Found a great used CV35 f1.4 SC copy to hold me over. I am working towards this latest FLE version.

Mar 16, 2023 at 09:02 PM
ZdevilH1
• •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

Physically speaking, is there a difference between the existing FLE and the new one? After searching online, it looks like the body of the new FLE got a bit smaller?? Can someone confirm?
I value small lenses so if in fact it got smaller, I may just go for the new one.

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:03 AM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

ZdevilH1 wrote:
Physically speaking, is there a difference between the existing FLE and the new one? After searching online, it looks like the body of the new FLE got a bit smaller?? Can someone confirm?
I value small lenses so if in fact it got smaller, I may just go for the new one.

Check out page 7, post #11 of this thread. IMO, the size and weight differences are pretty small. It's the other design changes like the lens hood, minimum focus, number of aperture blades that are more distinctive. Leica says there is no change in the optical design. But then there are secretive whispers of new glass types and/or coatings for version II.

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:34 PM
ZdevilH1
• •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

goodbokeh wrote:
Check out page 7, post #11 of this thread. IMO, the size and weight differences are pretty small. It's the other design changes like the lens hood, minimum focus, number of aperture blades that are more distinctive. Leica says there is no change in the optical design. But then there are secretive whispers of new glass types and/or coatings for version II.

Thank you for pointing me to it. The 0.4 MFD is definitely a plus when being used on my SL2s.

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:56 PM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

ZdevilH1 wrote:
Thank you for pointing me to it. The 0.4 MFD is definitely a plus when being used on my SL2s.

Yes, that would be a nice match I imagine. Stock for the Version II in the US appears non-existent right now. A guy over at the Leica Forum couldn't wait and just got a black Version II from AGF Camera in Hong Kong. I bought a 50 Summilux Asph. from them last summer and had a very good experience. I didn't have to pay import duty.

Unfortunately, the AGF HK$ converted price is higher by about $100 + $60 shipping compared to B&H. Here's the AGF link to the black version II if you're interested:

https://www.agfcamera.com/collections/brand-new/products/leica-summilux-m-35mm-f-1-4-asph-lens-black-2022-version-11726-brand-new-ne61240

Mar 18, 2023 at 01:35 PM
ZdevilH1
• •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

goodbokeh wrote:
Yes, that would be a nice match I imagine. Stock for the Version II in the US appears non-existent right now. A guy over at the Leica Forum couldn't wait and just got a black Version II from AGF Camera in Hong Kong. I bought a 50 Summilux Asph. from them last summer and had a very good experience. I didn't have to pay import duty.

Unfortunately, the AGF HK$ converted price is higher by about $100 + $60 shipping compared to B&H. Here's the AGF link to the black version II if you're interested:

https://www.agfcamera.com/collections/brand-new/products/leica-summilux-m-35mm-f-1-4-asph-lens-black-2022-version-11726-brand-new-ne61240

Thank you, I have access to a black one, new, boxed, from my broker at just a tad under retail. Trying to offload a couple of things first.

Mar 18, 2023 at 05:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hungtn197

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

This is probably the best 35mm that Leica ever created. I got a chance to try this lens from my friend when it was released. This new 35FLE is compact and excellent optical quality especially when combined with the Leica M11 offering very high accuracy of color, surpassing the previous M10 series in my opinion!

Apr 04, 2023 at 06:25 PM
luminorsubm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

just listed mine for sale

May 26, 2023 at 01:32 PM
gordec
• • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

Is FLE II worth it over MKI other than MFD? Most reviews seem to suggest indistinguishable IQ difference. I actually really like the look of the hood on FLE I.

Jun 30, 2023 at 09:58 PM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

gordec wrote:
Is FLE II worth it over MKI other than MFD?

I've had both. In my opinion, no. Aside from MFD (which is the biggest benefit), and a built in hood, the only other difference worth mentioning is the stopped down out of focusing rendering might be ever so slightly different. But it's also fatter and to my eyes not as attractive a lens as the v1.

Jul 01, 2023 at 07:59 AM
Stephen G
• • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

I've also had both, I got the FLEII for the lower MFD & built in hood... I don' see any image differences

Jul 01, 2023 at 02:21 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. announced! (FLE II)

I am grateful for the posts indicating no differences, or no substantial differences, between the FLE and FLE II, other than Close Focusing. I count myself among those who prefer the hood that is used on the FLE I. Not only do I prefer the visual aesthetic, but I prefer the handling qualities. I have test-shot with a demonstrator FLE, at a nearby Leica dealer, and I believe that my Elmar-M 24mm ASPH uses the same hood, or a very similar hood. (I now use the Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4 ZM, as my fast 35, but this seems to be a good time to add a pre-owned FLE, which has a somewhat different “character,” compared to the Distagon.)

I accepted the close-focus limitations, when I added the Leica M system, five years ago. I do, of course, appreciate those who find a close-focus 35mm lens to be useful. If I wanted to travel with only one lens, that one being 35mm, then I, too, might wish to acquire an FLE II.

Jul 02, 2023 at 09:13 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.