New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

The Yeti of Bodie

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Yeti of Bodie

The Yeti of Bodie. Rarely seen and even more rarely captured on film. And apparently you actually do have to shoot real live old fashioned film as these will not appear on any known digital camera or sensor

The Yeti of Bodie

Edited on Sep 12, 2022 at 05:48 PM · View previous versions

Sep 12, 2022 at 05:09 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Yeti of Bodie

Peter,
I love the tones, and on my monitor it almost shimmers. The full resolution files must be something else.
Jim

Sep 12, 2022 at 05:21 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Yeti of Bodie

James Markus wrote:
Peter,
I love the tones, and on my monitor it almost shimmers. The full resolution files must be something else.
Jim

Thanks Jim. I think part of that is careful tonal correction and the other part is that the light is really harsh at 10,000 feet in the middle of the day. And then the other part are those nutty Mamyia lenses.

Sep 12, 2022 at 05:25 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Yeti of Bodie

James Markus wrote:
Peter,
Jim

The other thing that seems to help is to add about one point of red and one point of yellow. That tiny little bit seems to take some harshness out of what would have been a dead neutral rendition.

Sep 12, 2022 at 05:51 PM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Yeti of Bodie

Lovely tones as Jim said and I see the Yeti looks like it's in a hurry

Cheers Ray

Sep 12, 2022 at 06:00 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Yeti of Bodie

Dougo wrote:
Lovely tones as Jim said and I see the Yeti looks like it's in a hurry

Cheers Ray

Yeti's are always in a hurry, especially when they're above treeline and have no place to hide.

Sep 12, 2022 at 06:02 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Yeti of Bodie

Ha ha. Made me laugh. For some reason, I first thought of the scene in Signs when we first see the creature sneak by a window or something like that.

I think I remembered you saying you shot a lot on a RB or RZ67? I'm guessing maybe that's what this was?

--David

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:32 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Yeti of Bodie

neighbourboy wrote:
Ha ha. Made me laugh. For some reason, I first thought of the scene in Signs when we first see the creature sneak by a window or something like that.

I think I remembered you saying you shot a lot on a RB or RZ67? I'm guessing maybe that's what this was?

--David

David - Yep. I shot RB67 for several years and then RZ67 for a much longer time but this was shot with a Mamiya 7 and either a 50mm or a 65mm lens. I still have that camera with four lenses and a Fuji 617 with three lenses. I finally got rid of everything else and been building a system around the Fuji GFX100s.

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:00 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Yeti of Bodie

Love Bodie….

Sep 19, 2022 at 08:55 PM
bnfotografie
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Yeti of Bodie

Really nice tones throughout and great timing on the yeti. I'm feeling sorry for the poor bugger because he's lost a lot of weight since I saw him here a couple of years ago. Must be hard to find food at that altitude.
Cheers,
Brent

Sep 19, 2022 at 09:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Yeti of Bodie

bnfotografie wrote:
Really nice tones throughout and great timing on the yeti. I'm feeling sorry for the poor bugger because he's lost a lot of weight since I saw him here a couple of years ago. Must be hard to find food at that altitude.
Cheers,
Brent

I think he was down to cached berries and nuts, so, yeah, a bit on the thin side.

Sep 19, 2022 at 09:38 PM
jon.oman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Yeti of Bodie

Nice image! A place I've always wanted to visit. But I'm on the East coast....

Sep 20, 2022 at 12:43 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Yeti of Bodie

jon.oman wrote:
Nice image! A place I've always wanted to visit. But I'm on the East coast....

Jon - You owe it to yourself to make the trip. I've been going back there for over fifty years now. Although it's closer to Reno, it'd be better to fly into LAX, rent a car and drive north through the eastern Sierras and Owens Valley, which is one of the best drives anywhere where you can take side trips to the old silver mining town of Cerro Gordo, to Owens Lake dry lake bed, up into the White Mountains and visit the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forests, go searching for the natural hot springs north of Bishop, the exposed Tufa formations at Mono Lake, and of course, have pizza at Pizza Factory in Lone Pine, where you can also visit the Alabama Hills and go find my favorite spot there - Gene Autry Rock. Really, the only other place I've been that rivals the eastern Sierras is Chaco Culture National Historic Park, but that's definitely a separate trip and so so worth it.

Sep 20, 2022 at 01:12 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Yeti of Bodie

Great shot, and even better title!

Sep 21, 2022 at 08:41 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Yeti of Bodie

OregonSun wrote:
Great shot, and even better title!

Thanks. At first I thought about removing him (or her) but then decided to embrace the humor of the accident.

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:17 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Yeti of Bodie

Finally a sharp picture of the elusive Yeti...!!

What is the story about this town? looks like a ghost town?

Marcelo

Sep 22, 2022 at 03:33 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Yeti of Bodie

Lightsearcher wrote:
Finally a sharp picture of the elusive Yeti...!!

What is the story about this town? looks like a ghost town?

Marcelo

Marcelo - Bodie is an old silver and gold mining town that was active until the 1930's when a second major fire pretty much wiped it out. I think the first one was about forty years earlier. It's part of the California State Park system being designated a state historic park, so they maintain it to keep it safe for visitors but only enough to keep structures stable. There are a few old cars that have been rusting into the ground for the last eighty years. There's the school house still with books on the desks and more dust than anything else. It's a place where 10,000 people lived in its heyday - mostly men there for the mining and the whorehouses to keep them happy. It's also at about 10,000 feet in altitude where both the summers and winters are about as brutal as you'll find anywhere with summer temps often well over 100F and winter down to 20 or 30 below zero. It's above treeline so there's no natural shade. I got heat stroke there in August close to 45 years ago but it's perhaps the one place in California other than Bixby Creek Bridge that I keep going back to year after year - for more than fifty years in the case of Bodie. It's a photographer's paradise and never looks the same when you go back. There is usually at least one school bus full of high school photography students from Southern California. There are no services there but there are restrooms and water.

Sep 22, 2022 at 05:40 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Yeti of Bodie

Thank you for the information Peter, it is a photographers paradise for sure.

The weather kind of extreme with those high and lows.

Marcelo

Sep 22, 2022 at 07:41 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Yeti of Bodie

Lightsearcher wrote:
Thank you for the information Peter, it is a photographers paradise for sure.

The weather kind of extreme with those high and lows.

Marcelo

Yeah. Best times to go are in the spring and fall, although this shot was in August and it was only in the mid 80's. And I've been in late fall after the first snow, which was great because the snow filled in the ruts in the road. Much smoother that trip.

Sep 22, 2022 at 07:50 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password